The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Any History applicants received an offer/rejection yet? My 5 weeks are up next Friday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2181
Original post by QuestionsQ
Have any home Law applicants received an email from LSE saying 'you're one of the strongest applicants?'

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I haven't :frown: I have got nothing from lse since the 5 week email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jak610
Hey guys, the grades here are so impressive! Can anyone give me an honest opinion regarding my application? Here's a summary;
ABBB Maths Econ Physics Geog,
A*AAA predictions, dropped geog to self teach further maths in year 13,
School is 480th out of 491 in terms of league tables, nobody has ever left with AAA etc
I have outstanding extra-curriculars, work experience in canary wharf investment bank/a huge amount of reading around things like game theory and mathematics for economics and finance.
Personal statement is also really strong, LSE has always been the dream but of course my poor grades are going to reflect badly on my application, what do you guys reckon? Applying for maths with econ + maths AND econ, twice at LSE.
Cheers for any feedback ^^

It'll be pointless applying for both Maths with as well as and Economics, I went to the open day- the admissions tutor for the Maths dept said that candidates for both degrees are placed in the same pool. So effectively, It'll be like applying for the same course at the same university twice, and therefore would be a waste of an option.

I would speak to LSE regarding the importance of studying AS and A level Further Maths in their admission process. Does your school not offer Further Maths at A level?

You're predicted grades are good and your wider reading give the impression that you have a strong application, so I would definitely encourage you to apply- just don't apply for both courses- the first year is identical and it is very easy to switch between the two.

If that is the case with your school, I think universities will definitely recognise it, and it will play in your favour!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The-Illusionist
It'll be pointless applying for both Maths with as well as and Economics, I went to the open day- the admissions tutor for the Maths dept said that candidates for both degrees are placed in the same pool. So effectively, It'll be like applying for the same course at the same university twice, and therefore would be a waste of an option.

I would speak to LSE regarding the importance of studying AS and A level Further Maths in their admission process. Does your school not offer Further Maths at A level?

You're predicted grades are good and your wider reading give the impression that you have a strong application, so I would definitely encourage you to apply- just don't apply for both courses- the first year is identical and it is very easy to switch between the two.

If that is the case with your school, I think universities will definitely recognise it, and it will play in your favour!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Admissions tutor say anything about IR vs. IR and history? I don't think it's the same, as IR is it's own department and IR and history is offered through the history department. But perhaps you'd know better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by js15398
No I haven't :frown: I have got nothing from lse since the 5 week email

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm in the same position. I don't expect to hear anything any time soon, but I was just quite curious as I had seen quite a few international students who had received that 'new' email.

Best of luck,

QuestionsQ
Reply 2185
Original post by QuestionsQ
Yeah, I'm in the same position. I don't expect to hear anything any time soon, but I was just quite curious as I had seen quite a few international students who had received that 'new' email.

Best of luck,

QuestionsQ

I'm not expecting anything either, not for a while

Thanks, good luck with it all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2186
Original post by gracelich
Any History applicants received an offer/rejection yet? My 5 weeks are up next Friday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel this 5 week thing is full of empty promises! It will be 4 weeks for me tomorrow for Economic History and absolutely nothing as of yet :/
Original post by ErHi?
I feel this 5 week thing is full of empty promises! It will be 4 weeks for me tomorrow for Economic History and absolutely nothing as of yet :/

Mmm, I'm starting to agree with you. I think I'll hear something either on the final day of the 5th week, or 1-2 weeks later. Getting loads of coursework deadlines though now to take my mind off of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silonthesofa
Admissions tutor say anything about IR vs. IR and history? I don't think it's the same, as IR is it's own department and IR and history is offered through the history department. But perhaps you'd know better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think straight IR consists of any compulsory history modules, which does imply that the two departments are not interlinked.

Since the two degrees are with different departments, the admissions process is probably not similar to the Maths and/with Econ degree. Also, IR vs IR and History is different in the way that only one of the two degrees is a joint honours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2189

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is what surprises me. I have seen no offers/rejections for history so far, on this page. Maybe they are waiting to receive a bigger sample of candidates or maybe they send decisions in batches.
Reply 2190
I'm a week and 2 days over the end of my 5 weeks :frown:

I don't understand why they put the strict time constraints onto the emails if they then aren't going to stick to them? If they had just said "you'll hear sometime within the next 3 months" it would be a lot less stressful.
Reply 2191
Mmm, I'm starting to agree with you. I think I'll hear something either on the final day of the 5th week, or 1-2 weeks later. Getting loads of coursework deadlines though now to take my mind off of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully I hear something soon! Haven't received any offers/rejections from any of my universities except an interview from Cambridge, which is quite amazing for me, but I'm starting to lose hope I have nothing concrete :/
Original post by ErHi?
Hopefully I hear something soon! Haven't received any offers/rejections from any of my universities except an interview from Cambridge, which is quite amazing for me, but I'm starting to lose hope I have nothing concrete :/

No news is good news I guess. Wow, good luck for your interview at Cambridge, I'm sure you'll do well! Just happy I have an offer from Leeds, as its History department is 10th in the country. I've pretty much lost hope about getting an offer from LSE, praying that they put me out of my misery and give me a decision ASAP. Somehow, I don't think it's as simple as that though... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by undercoverecon
My 5 week period should end this week - seeing what people have said here however, I am a little sceptical as to if this even means anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck then ! Hopefully you'll get your offer soon ! Can't bear the wait anymore here ! :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope...
Original post by smile:D
Nope...

When is your 5 weeks up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2196
I just thought this is interesting.LSE social policy and economics course has 173 applicants for 4 places. Holy F:eek:
Five weeks passed, nothing heard yet! :hmmm:
Reply 2198
Original post by lolzzzic
Hi everyone! This is my first post. I've been stalking this thread for a while and I really like the supportive atmosphere here! I received an LSE offer last week and I'm really excited. I applied to Oxford, LSE, Durham, King's and Warwick. And LSE is the only uni that has got back to me!

I wish all of you the best of luck!!!:tongue:

Hey there! Congrats on the offer!! Are you a UK applicant/what were your grades? :smile:
Original post by lolzzzic
Hi everyone! This is my first post. I've been stalking this thread for a while and I really like the supportive atmosphere here! I received an LSE offer last week and I'm really excited. I applied to Oxford, LSE, Durham, King's and Warwick. And LSE is the only uni that has got back to me!

I wish all of you the best of luck!!!:tongue:

Hey what course is that for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending