The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
Finally finished my Personal statement.... but its too long, arrrhhhhhh. Also am i correct in saying that most people wrote the school and work experience section (20 line limit) more as a list?
Thanks
Original post by Gemmac2382
Congrats! What uni?

Canterbury, although panicking like a mad-man now. Currently in Spain so I have to fly back and work out what I'm doing.

How is your application going? Where are you replying to? It totally depends on the unis, I know my other ones haven't even been looked at!
Original post by madl24903
How did you find out?!

I got an email, which was weird. How's it going for you x
Original post by MsVictoria
Canterbury, although panicking like a mad-man now. Currently in Spain so I have to fly back and work out what I'm doing.

How is your application going? Where are you replying to? It totally depends on the unis, I know my other ones haven't even been looked at!

I've applied to Canterbury too! When is the interview date?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1904
Original post by magic_box
Hi Cutebat I tried to quote you earlier but it didn't work- wondering what subject you applied for at Roehampton?
Hoping I may hear from them soon as my application was sent Saturday :smile: What did they say about Skills Tests??

Hi Magic box, I'm applying for general primary. They only emailed to say they had received my application but Im glad they did because I didn't know how long UCAS held application for. What have you applied for? With regards to skill tests it said: 'we strongly advise candidates take tests as soon as they are able. If offered an interview, having already passed tests will greatly improve candidates chances of being offered a place' :-)
Original post by magic_box
Yes, he did his PGCE at Cambridge!
But had previously been rejected from KCL and Roehampton - so perseverance paid off :smile:

Ah thanks :smile: I so nearly applied there because they seemed lenient with degrees, but I wasn't sure if I'd actually want to move all the way across the country, and it's also one of the most competitive unis so I was put off. Oh well, I can only cross my fingers. I have purposely only applied to unis that seemed ok with my politics degree (I e-mailed admissions). Good luck!
Original post by cutebat
Thanks for the link will have a looksie! Saw you took a subject enhancement in summer I reckon that will definitely strengthen your application! I thought they still needed RE teachers? Try not to get anxious about it they can see your developing your knowledge. x

Yeah, hopefully they will see that. I've told them I'm willing to do more which is totally true. I think they do need RE teachers, but it is still a competitive PGCE. I don't think there is such thing as a PGCE that isn't competitive! Good luck :smile:

How long did your references take to submit their references? I am thinking of applying on the 18th December but I am thinking of asking my references to start writing their references from now so we I am done they can submit their references asap.
Original post by Airfairy
http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/GTTR-2012-Annual-Statistical-Report.pdf They aren't figures for applications, more acceptances, but they are still useful to look at (albeit a little saddening!)

I've applied to Edge Hill, Sheffield Hallam and Cumbria. Figures for some random things are on here http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/GTTR-2012-Annual-Statistical-Report.pdf Yeah with the subject knowledge I think even though I've been saying I'm really confident I could teach R.E with a politics degree, and my PS reflected this, I think deep down I don't know if I can :frown: It's only really just hit me now that I've applied, that I'm going to be expected to show my knowledge in an area I don't even have a GCSE in! I know it sounds stupid that I even applied, but I do have a genuine interest in religion, took a short course on it and a module at uni. I probably know more than the average person without religious qualifications but I don't think it's enough. I guess the providers will easily see that though. Ah well. Should have gone for citizenship I think. As useless as it is, I probably would have had more chance at getting in :frown:

Is it Cumbria a nice city? Is accommodation cheap? How are the locals? Asking you this because I need to add a third uni choice to my ucas app.
Original post by ginger.
I'm also applying to Edge Hill. I'm hoping to do languages (German and French). Good luck!

Have you considered doing a subject enhancement course? I will definitely need to do one for French and I've also mentioned this in my personal statement. I've spoken to someone from Edge Hill, Hope and Chester Uni and they're all fine with it as it would be better if I can teach two languages. Many schools in Merseyside don't even teach German so it would be a massive disadvantage for me if I can't teach French.

I still haven't been able to send off my application because my lecturer hasn't gotten back to me yet (I emailed her twice). I'm starting to get quite worried :frown:

Hope as in Liverpool Hope?
Original post by Airfairy
Mine was literally- school x. Dates. Role. And I did it bullet pointed. Same reasoned as above. I was just under the impression it was for facts rather than explanation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So how you put the experience? Do you put from xth of this month to yth of that month? Or do you put I did x number of days from xth of this month to yth of that month?
Original post by Juichiro
How long did your references take to submit their references? I am thinking of applying on the 18th December but I am thinking of asking my references to start writing their references from now so we I am done they can submit their references asap.

Mine were really fast, within 2 hours. But I had pre-empted the fact they'd be busy and emailed to tell them I was starting the application, then emailed again to say I'd sent it and they'd need to do their part. And prior to that, about 1 month, I emailed to remind them again that I was applying. hahaha! I email whored myself out :P

I think that's a good idea, you can't be over prepared and relying on someone else is really stressful. x
Original post by steph_cook92
I've applied to Canterbury too! When is the interview date?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine is Wednesday 4th, but I think they are doing a lot! There are so many hoops to jump through too that I'm just going to give it a shot- I really don't think I'll get in. Have you heard back?
Original post by madl24903
Which Uni?!

Northampton
First reference in.. Second supposedly doing theirs today..
fingers crossed I can submit my form today! Hurrah! Good luck everyone!
Final reference will be done, by the end if the week apparently, finally getting it sent off.. Fingers crossed
Original post by Juichiro
Is it Cumbria a nice city? Is accommodation cheap? How are the locals? Asking you this because I need to add a third uni choice to my ucas app.

The Cumbria uni campus is actually in Lancaster, not Cumbria. I don't know if you've been to Lancaster but it's pretty nice. Accommodation is average for a student city, maybe 60-70 a week. Locals are friendly.

In terms of the work exp you quoted me about, I did it like this for example-
Brown high school, brown road. 7/5/2013-13/5/2013. Observation of years 7-11.

I just did that for each one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1916
I was panicking that my second referee hadn't sent her reference through and I just called her and she has never received it! I have just changed the email address for her to another of her email addresses and she got it whilst I was still on the phone to her!
Mine is Wednesday 4th, but I think they are doing a lot! There are so many hoops to jump through too that I'm just going to give it a shot- I really don't think I'll get in. Have you heard back?

I've just got an email from them and I've got an interview on the same day as you, I need to start preparing for the presentation! Have you taken your skills tests yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1918
I've been trying to find out the interview dates for unis I've applied for as I might have to travel for work in December - so if anyone has applied to Goldsmiths, at the moment it's looking like interviews will be on these dates... just in case you wanted to know!

Current interview dates are 10th December, 16th-20th December, 7th, 8th, 14th, 23rd and 31st January.
Original post by r275
I've been trying to find out the interview dates for unis I've applied for as I might have to travel for work in December - so if anyone has applied to Goldsmiths, at the moment it's looking like interviews will be on these dates... just in case you wanted to know!

Current interview dates are 10th December, 16th-20th December, 7th, 8th, 14th, 23rd and 31st January.

Thank you so much for finding this out!!! Where did you find this?

Latest

Trending

Trending