The Student Room Group

Queen Mary or University of Surrey?

Okay,I've applied for this two uni for Electronics Engineering.

But which one do you think will be better?
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Come to Surrey
We have a brilliant Engineering department. I know a couple people doing electronic engineering. They say it's demanding but, still good.
Although, QM is a russell group uni.
Reply 3
Department reputation wise Electronic Engineering at Surrey is better than Queen Mary, but ultimately it's up to you
Reply 4
Does Russel group really makes a difference?

Just like this,Surrey is much better for EE than QM. But should I just join QM cause it is in RG?
Original post by Tahnik
Does Russel group really makes a difference?

Just like this,Surrey is much better for EE than QM. But should I just join QM cause it is in RG?

No, not really. The difference between Surrey and QM in general is paper thin. Just go with whatever university makes the best impression on you during the open day or from what you've seen/read so far.
Reply 6
Original post by Jackal The
No, not really. The difference between Surrey and QM in general is paper thin. Just go with whatever university makes the best impression on you during the open day or from what you've seen/read so far.

The problem is here actually. I am an international student. So there isn't much opportunity to visit the uni. That's why I'm asking you guys.
Original post by Tahnik
The problem is here actually. I am an international student. So there isn't much opportunity to visit the uni. That's why I'm asking you guys.

Well, it's pretty difficult to get an unbiased opinion from anyone on here, since I imagine that most people responding will go to one of the two universities. What are you looking for from your university experience? Jot it all down and see which university correlates best with what you're hoping for based on the prospectus and reading through other threads on the Surrey/Queen Mary boards. There's a huge difference between Guildford and Whitechapel/East End, for example, so each university will offer a very different student experience.
Reply 8
Original post by Jackal The
Well, it's pretty difficult to get an unbiased opinion from anyone on here, since I imagine that most people responding will go to one of the two universities. What are you looking for from your university experience? Jot it all down and see which university correlates best with what you're hoping for based on the prospectus and reading through other threads on the Surrey/Queen Mary boards. There's a huge difference between Guildford and Whitechapel/East End, for example, so each university will offer a very different student experience.

Ya but some of my friends in UK said Surrey is extremely good for Electronic Engineering.
Reply 9
Surrey's advantages are that it's in a beautiful area, with a good reputation for engineering - but not amazing.

QM's area is lacking, compared to Surrey's, but the facilities and teaching standards are great. Also, it makes up part of the UoL, which has an amazing international reputation, esp in the US.
From what I've seen of QM, it's a very dull university and has a depressing atmosphere (just what I think, I've been to two of their open days and attended a physics taster course). Being a part of the Russel Group doesn't make much of a difference at all as long as the degree itself is accredited which I imagine it is at Surrey.
Reply 11
Original post by dclarke35
Surrey's advantages are that it's in a beautiful area, with a good reputation for engineering - but not amazing.

QM's area is lacking, compared to Surrey's, but the facilities and teaching standards are great. Also, it makes up part of the UoL, which has an amazing international reputation, esp in the US.

I actually don't need international reputation because I'm not thinking about going outside UK. Also,I will probably try to do my Msc in oxbridge,imperial,ucl etc. So for my BEng which one do you think will be better?

Thanks in advance
Reply 12
Original post by BlackJackson
From what I've seen of QM, it's a very dull university and has a depressing atmosphere (just what I think, I've been to two of their open days and attended a physics taster course). Being a part of the Russel Group doesn't make much of a difference at all as long as the degree itself is accredited which I imagine it is at Surrey.

Ya Surrey's dergree is accredited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending