The Student Room Group

Buying condoms

Scroll to see replies

Honestly I don't get why you're embarrassed...
Seriously don't bother getting them online! It's a bit embarrassing but not that bad to get them at your local boots or whatever :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by rockrunride
I know what he wants to avoid, yet as well as any potential 'age check' (there are none as far as I'm aware) condoms are usually security tagged because of the price.

Do you really think age (or maturity, more correctly) is irrelevant? Do you not consider that someone embarrassed to buy condoms and, reminiscent of infantile playground raillery, calling them 'jonny's', maybe should take a step back and just grow up a bit? What about toilet roll? Self-service because we **** on a daily basis? Underwear because we need something to cover our genitals?

I think maturity is relevant, but I don't think how shy you are with complete strangers is a particularly good measure of maturity. As I said, by your measure I'm not mature enough to have sex with my wife because I'm the kind of person to get embarrassed buying condoms. I certainly did when we met at 16, even though, unlike my peers, our relationship has probably been the most stable and, as you would say - mature.

I had friends who really weren't embarrassed by stuff like this when they were 10 (condoms made quite good water-bombs) and I'm damned sure they wren't mature enough to be having sex! They just weren't the kind of people to get embarrassed by stuff like that.

I'm just a shy guy. I'm not going to lie about it. Does this mean I'm not mature? Why? How does this, in any way, affect my ability to engage in sexual activity?

You might not get embarrassed: hurah - consider yourself mature and "grown up" if you like. But just because you can't imagine getting embarrassed by something doesn't mean the people who do are somehow stuck as infants and unable to deal with relationships or sex.
(edited 10 years ago)
Don't worry about it, the Store clerks really aren't that judgemental. They've been on a long shift and have probably already scanned several other packages of condoms for other people.
Just pop into the local shop and buy a lot of stuff along with the condoms and then, it won't be so obvious?

N
Reply 45
Original post by Democracy
Yeah, it's normal and natural to be nervous before your first time - but that's not what this is about. In my opinion it's pretty immature to be embarrassed about buying something which, at the end of the day, is a health necessity which people should be using routinely anyway.

99% of adults are having/have had sex, it's not like he's the Chosen One :wink:

1) It's not really a health necessity. And I don't think it is immature, for the reasons stated previously.

As for him not being alone - sure, a lot of people have sex. But that doesn't make it any more public - sex can still be an exceptionally private thing.
Original post by Maid Marian
Toilet paper isn't embarrassing .... :lolwut:

It is when you've brought it with Groupon.
Original post by pinda.college
It is when you've brought it with Groupon.

What's Groupon?
Original post by Maid Marian
What's Groupon?

http://www.groupon.co.uk/

It's a website that allows you to purchase coupons to buy stuff at a relatively low cost. Sometimes you've got to enter the coupon details on the retailer's website or it is automatically activated and the item is sent to you. It's worth checking out some of the deals in your area because there is always good value in their coupons. You can download the app on your smart phone as well.
http://www.groupon.co.uk/

It's a website that allows you to purchase coupons to buy stuff at a relatively low cost. Sometimes you've got to enter the coupon details on the retailer's website or it is automatically activated and the item is sent to you. It's worth checking out some of the deals in your area because there is always good value in their coupons. You can download the app on your smart phone as well.

A way of saving money! Me likes it!
I'll have to look into this, every penny spent is a penny wasted, imo. :redface:
Reply 50
The first time I bought condoms I thought it was all really embarrassing. The next time I decided to do it as someone else, so I asked myself how (dont laugh!) Davina McCall would buy condoms; I sashayed into a chemist shop browsed confidently, placed the on the counter with a flourish and struck up a conversation with the woman behind the counter! When I got outside I was like omg I cant believe I pulled that off!

This is how I do all sorts of stuff now, I just ask myself 'how would <someone who is good at this thing> do this, act like they would act and there you go!

OP the more you practice this the easier it gets, I promise.
Original post by LolaLowe
The first time I bought condoms I thought it was all really embarrassing. The next time I decided to do it as someone else, so I asked myself how (dont laugh!) Davina McCall would buy condoms; I sashayed into a chemist shop browsed confidently, placed the on the counter with a flourish and struck up a conversation with the woman behind the counter! When I got outside I was like omg I cant believe I pulled that off!

This is how I do all sorts of stuff now, I just ask myself 'how would <someone who is good at this thing> do this, act like they would act and there you go!

OP the more you practice this the easier it gets, I promise.

How do you know Davina McCall is good at buying condoms?
You think that's bad. I brought some bog roll off Groupon because it was going cheap and they delivered it to my house...with no packaging so you could see quite clearly that it was toilet paper. I was not at home so the delivery man gave it to my neighbour:facepalm2:

I LOL'd a lot at that!
Reply 53
How do you know Davina McCall is good at buying condoms?

I don't! Thats the beauty of it, you dont have to know someone who is good at something you are struggling with, you just have to be able to imagine that they could do it confidently/well! :smile:
Original post by Dopamine Dreams
I LOL'd a lot at that!

I can assure you it was incredibly embarrassing when my neighbour brought them around:colondollar: Though I am glad my tale of misfortune brought you laughter:smile:
Just go to a sexual health clinic, it's free and literally their job to give out condoms, the least judgemental people ever as they've seen it all.
Reply 56
Loads of mixed opinions on this one, looks like I'm gonna give a go online because lots of people on here have suggested online works ok. I will see how I get on!! Thanks!
Reply 57
oh and I am mature enough to have sex. just like someone else said - I get embarrassed buying loo roll too but it doesn't mean i'm too immature to empty my bowels :biggrin:
Reply 58
Original post by J-Norton93
Loads of mixed opinions on this one, looks like I'm gonna give a go online because lots of people on here have suggested online works ok. I will see how I get on!! Thanks!

practice nipping to a local shop too...you might need some as a matter or urgency one day and the best you get online is next day delivery...sometimes thats too long to wait!
Reply 59
It's honestly not scary buying them in the shop! Sales assistants aren't going to care or judge you in the least since they probably see hundreds of people buying them every day. And more Boots advantage card points for you to spend!

I was slightly worried buying them at 16 since it seemed unusual to me at the time. Didn't help when the sales assistant scanned it and said 'by the way, these are buy one get one free today!' so I had to rush back to pick up another pack in front of a long queue of annoyed customers. Sorry guys, gotta get my free box of condoms!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending