The Student Room Group

I try SO hard but I still fail?

I've just received my essay results worth 40% of a module.

I'm honestly just...so gutted. I tried so hard to do my best; the feedback is awful, as my dazed supervisor keeps going on about how everything I did was "incorrect" and "wrong". I don't understand - she gave us a guidance sheet telling us what to do and I followed EVERY LITTLE THING SHE PUT ON THERE.

I'm pathetically crying right now, but not JUST because of these results (though it definitely heavily contributes). It's just that I'm in my 2nd year of uni, where this semester's worth 10% of my final degree classification, and seeing as how my first year of uni was so difficult due to the deaths of several close family members, I thought this year would be a fresh start.
I'm aiming to get into a really competitive PhD course, and so, alongside volunteering/part-time work, I set myself a goal of reaching a 1st for this semester. I truly, truly did try; I spent hours and hours in the uni library, researching all sorts of studies. I got my friend to look over it, and she thought it was brilliant.

And yet i still failed.
This is like, the third time I've failed this year. Meanwhile, several friends of mine who have partied every night so far have achieved higher marks.
Every time I've failed, I shook it off and tried to stay optimistic but now, I can't. I'm tired of trying all the time, and never being good enough. It's so humiliating; I've never told anyone - not even my mum/siblings - how much I'm struggling, both emotionally and academically.

I need some advice, because I feel so low right now.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Re-examine your methodology, something must be wrong somewhere.

Ask your friends who got higher grades and observe how they did it. Also always beware of lecturere so called guidelines , many a time it's the unsaid things which are more important.
Reply 2
Original post by DarkParadise

I'm honestly just...so gutted. I tried so hard to do my best; the feedback is awful, as my dazed supervisor keeps going on about how everything I did was "incorrect" and "wrong". I don't understand - she gave us a guidance sheet telling us what to do and I followed EVERY LITTLE THING SHE PUT ON THERE.

I'm pathetically crying right now, but not JUST because of these results (though it definitely heavily contributes). It's just that I'm in my 2nd year of uni, where this semester's worth 10% of my final degree classification, and seeing as how my first year of uni was so difficult due to the deaths of several close family members, I thought this year would be a fresh start.
I'm aiming to get into a really competitive PhD course, and so, alongside volunteering/part-time work, I set myself a goal of reaching a 1st for this semester. I truly, truly did try; I spent hours and hours in the uni library, researching all sorts of studies. I got my friend to look over it, and she thought it was brilliant.

And yet i still failed.
This is like, the third time I've failed this year. Meanwhile, several friends of mine who have partied every night so far have achieved higher marks.
Every time I've failed, I shook it off and tried to stay optimistic but now, I can't. I'm tired of trying all the time, and never being good enough. It's so humiliating; I've never told anyone - not even my mum/siblings - how much I'm struggling, both emotionally and academically.

The only thing you can do is to stay optimistic, find your faults and try to improve yourself. Keep at that and eventually success will arise.

Good luck -

And yet i still failed.

The first thing you need to do is email the tutor that marked that piece of work right now and try to arrange a private meeting to discuss the work and work out exactly how things went so wrong in the first place. Until you understand why the work was marked the way it was, you will have no confidence in the correlation between hard work and good results, and will probably stop trying. Nip that in the bud now.
Reply 4
Essays based subjects are very "rough" and subjective. That's why I only do maths/CS modules. I once got a D for a GCSE English essay. My teacher said "change X and Y and come back in a week, I'll remark it". I never changed anything and in a week I gave her the EXACT same essay and got a B. She was probably just in a "hating" mood one day and in a better mood the next.
Reply 5
Original post by TurboCretin
The first thing you need to do is email the tutor that marked that piece of work right now and try to arrange a private meeting to discuss the work and work out exactly how things went so wrong in the first place. Until you understand why the work was marked the way it was, you will have no confidence in the correlation between hard work and good results, and will probably stop trying. Nip that in the bud now.

Should I email her now? I genuinely feel like I should re-appeal this work, as in I don't think it deserves a 55.
That said, I'm worried in case she'll think I'm wasting her time or something, and that I should just "get over it".
Reply 6
Original post by Zenomorph
Re-examine your methodology, something must be wrong somewhere.

Ask your friends who got higher grades and observe how they did it. Also always beware of lecturere so called guidelines , many a time it's the unsaid things which are more important.

My friends are all doing different topic areas marked by different supervisors each, so a direct comparison can't be made, and even then we all do it similarly in terms of how we present the information. I just don't understand.

And yet i still failed.

aw babes :console:
Reply 8
The issue is probably that you tried too hard - always ends up in failure.
Reply 9
one thing i dont know why
it doesnt even matter how hard u try
keep that in mind i designed this rhyme
to explain in due time

time is a valuable thing
watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
watch it count down to the end of the day
the clock ticks life away

didn't look out below
watch the time go right out the window
trying to hold on but didn't even know
i wasted it all just to watch you go

i kept everything inside and even though i tried, it all fell aparrt
what it meant to be will eventually be a memory of a time when

I TRIED SO HARD
AND GOT SO FAR
BUT IN THE END
IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER

Spoiler

55% isn't a fail, isn't it a 2.2? Bit dramatic. Arrange meetings with tutors to see where you're going wrong.
Should I email her now? I genuinely feel like I should re-appeal this work, as in I don't think it deserves a 55.
That said, I'm worried in case she'll think I'm wasting her time or something, and that I should just "get over it".

If you don't understand her feedback, then she really should take the time to explain what you did wrong and to help you improve for next time. That's the reason you're there and it's one of the bigger reasons that she's there.

The worst that can happen is she can say "you're wasting my time, I gave you feedback already". You won't lose anything by asking.
Reply 12
I think you need some professional help; a personal tutor if you have one - or some counselling especially if you have suffered a bereavement (to say nothing of several bereavements) - or maybe you can find a final year or PhD student to help you?
Reply 13
Original post by infairverona
55% isn't a fail, isn't it a 2.2? Bit dramatic. Arrange meetings with tutors to see where you're going wrong.

Have you read the OP?
It's a fail if my efforts are much higher than that of a 2.2 . It's a fail if I tried to get better and improve optimistically form the past two fails I've received, and put in 110% only to receive a 55. So no, it's not dramatic.
Cheers though.
Reply 14
Original post by Mellomum
I think you need some professional help; a personal tutor if you have one - or some counselling especially if you have suffered a bereavement (to say nothing of several bereavements) - or maybe you can find a final year or PhD student to help you?

My personal tutor's on study leave, and i don't know any final year/PhD students.
I don't know how to get counselling though - maybe that would help. But I wouldn't know where to start.
Have you read the OP?
It's a fail if my efforts are much higher than that of a 2.2 . It's a fail if I tried to get better and improve optimistically form the past two fails I've received, and put in 110% only to receive a 55. So no, it's not dramatic.
Cheers though.

I have but it is dramatic to consider a 2.2 a fail tbh. You might not have answered the question properly, your argument might not have been very coherent, your writing style might need work. Your referencing might not be enough, I was recently told I couldn't get higher than 65 on a piece of work because my bibliography was too short. It could be any number of things but if you have tried your hardest it's not a fail. Your semester is worth 10%, that's really not very much at all and getting yourself worked up over a 2.2 isn't going to help. Your tutor's feedback doesn't sound very helpful to you BUT if they are saying things are wrong, at least you can see where you have gone wrong and can improve it?
Reply 16
Original post by infairverona
I have but it is dramatic to consider a 2.2 a fail tbh. You might not have answered the question properly, your argument might not have been very coherent, your writing style might need work. Your referencing might not be enough, I was recently told I couldn't get higher than 65 on a piece of work because my bibliography was too short. It could be any number of things but if you have tried your hardest it's not a fail. Your semester is worth 10%, that's really not very much at all and getting yourself worked up over a 2.2 isn't going to help. Your tutor's feedback doesn't sound very helpful to you BUT if they are saying things are wrong, at least you can see where you have gone wrong and can improve it?

But that's the thing - she's mentioned nothing about any limitations. She just gave me a mark, told me that my discussion was great, but "bits are choppy" and left it at that.

You're right though. It is only 10%. I guess I just really, really hoped to get something higher than my fails before, and seeing those marks just completely ruined my day.
But that's the thing - she's mentioned nothing about any limitations. She just gave me a mark, told me that my discussion was great, but "bits are choppy" and left it at that.

You're right though. It is only 10%. I guess I just really, really hoped to get something higher than my fails before, and seeing those marks just completely ruined my day.

I know it's hard when you've put a lot of effort in but it could be much worse. I would definitely make a meeting with this tutor and see where you've gone wrong, if you're not happy with the mark it's worth asking for help and next time she will remember that you took steps to improve. You can definitely bring your grade up overall though so try not to stress about it too much :smile:
I can only comment for arts subjects but the features of an essay which gets a high mark (not necessarily the same thing as a good essay, though can be...) are generally:

- Uses lots of academic English - pick up on the buzzwords your supervisor really likes and shoehorn them in there. If he/she loves saying 'intertextuality', you now love saying 'intertextuality' (even if you're not that sure what it is/that it's a real word).
- Good structure and everything you are saying is crystal clear - for each point say what you are going to say, then say it, then summarise what you just said, so they literally can't miss it. Make sure that each point has an introduction, a middle and a conclusion just like the essay itself - one point or section shouldn't blend into another without saying why it was important and what it added to the essay.
- Uses lots of sources - as I rough guide I would say unless it's something which doesn't need to refer to other work, you should make references to A.N. other person/book/text/article/website (even fleetingly) the same number of times as 1% of your word count... so if you're writing a 2000 word essay aim to refer to something or somebody else 20 times; for a 4000 word essay aim to refer to something or somebody 40 times (you could mention the same text or person a couple of times or three times... but don't overuse one book or person, do aim for a spread). Try to keep the length of the quotes down, the content of the quotes/references you use isn't the important thing, the reason you use quotes is to give the impression that you've read around the subject and understand the main opinions and theories that back up what you're writing about.

If that sounds a bit cynical, it is - lecturers are so pushed for time they will not really read your work or appreciate how much time you put into it, they will just speed read it and come out of it with an overall impression - imagine that every time your lecturer reads a relevant buzzword, sees a good relevant name or source mentioned, or reads a sound mini-conclusion, they make a mental tick. You want to get as many of these mental ticks as possible.

Of course if you already feel that you did all of this, you may want to get in touch with your supervisor. In any case, if all they have given in terms of feedback is that you did it 'wrong' etc., you should also get in touch with them as that's not constructive at all. Constructive feedback tells you specific aspects of your work which you can improve for next time and that's what you have a right to receive.
Reply 19
My friends are all doing different topic areas marked by different supervisors each, so a direct comparison can't be made, and even then we all do it similarly in terms of how we present the information. I just don't understand.

Try and imitate their good points

Latest

Trending

Trending