The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aasvogel
Anyone else doing the Peterhouse Essay Competition?

I want to do the Kelvin Science one
Original post by JackTeh96
I want to do the Kelvin Science one

That's the one I'm doing. :biggrin:
That's the one I'm doing. :biggrin:

what topic have you chosen?
Reply 7103

Might attempt the science one. 2 applications per college, though... I've barely got a chance even before they're sent off :s-smilie:
Original post by Cluck
Might attempt the science one. 2 applications per college, though... I've barely got a chance even before they're sent off :s-smilie:

It isn't even promoted in our school, I was actually the one who told the teacher about it! :cool:
Original post by JackTeh96
what topic have you chosen?

'Great scientific discoveries are the product of a particular time and place rather than the result of exceptional genius.'

I'd never heard of it, but I want to now :awesome:

I could get my Creative Writing coursework out of the way while I'm at it :colone:
Reply 7107
It isn't even promoted in our school, I was actually the one who told the teacher about it! :cool:

Oh wow :eek: Good for you, I'm surprised your teachers aren't more clued in with this sort of thing!
Original post by Cluck
Oh wow :eek: Good for you, I'm surprised your teachers aren't more clued in with this sort of thing!

It's Northern Ireland haha, things like this aren't really prominent over here unless pupils find it for themselves!
Reply 7109
It's Northern Ireland haha, things like this aren't really prominent over here unless pupils find it for themselves!

That's a shame :frown: Do you do the Physics Olympiad?
Reply 7110
hey im new here, yup doing my as level, im struggling and stressing out, becos i have not started revising my work. i feel im getting behind with the work :frown:. so plssss gimme some advise to when and how i should be revising my work. ( my subjects: bio chem sociology and psychology)
Original post by ashs01
hey im new here, yup doing my as level, im struggling and stressing out, becos i have not started revising my work. i feel im getting behind with the work :frown:. so plssss gimme some advise to when and how i should be revising my work. ( my subjects: bio chem sociology and psychology)

Hi there, welcome to the thread :smile:

Sorry to hear that you've been stressing out. At this point I wouldn't worry too much about revision because we still have a couple of months before January mocks and we haven't covered a great deal of content yet, but if you're 'getting behind' then obviously your organisational skills could do with some work. How much time are you spending on each subject per week? At my school the recommended minimum is 5 hours, and whist I admit that I don't do anywhere near that much work, it is a realistic target to aim for. Personally, I don't bring my folders in to school each day, instead I have a notepad in which to do my classwork (so much more convenient and easier to carry!). Every evening I take the opportunity to read over the day's notes when I file them away, that way I can double check that I fully understood everything that I wrote down, and I can ask my teachers questions the next day if necessary.

As far as revision is concerned, past papers are invaluable. One of my biology teachers made a 200 page long document with every past paper question from Unit 1 ever, which is a bit ridiculous, but I hope it will be handy once I actually bother to look at it. Scruitinise mark schemes so that you know exactly what examiners are looking for. I don't tend to be one for flashy posters and index cards, but a lot of my friends find them extremely helpful. On index cards they either write condensed notes or a question on one side and the answer on the other.

Hope some of that (extremely vague) 'advice' helps a little bit :tongue: . I'm afraid I don't do psychology or sociology, but if you have any specific queries for biology or chemistry then feel free to drop me a PM. I'll gladly try to help if I can :smile: .
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cluck
That's a shame :frown: Do you do the Physics Olympiad?

Nope! And that almost exemplifies my case, a guy in my class found out it existed. :lol: We do the Maths Challenge though. :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
examsolutions.net

thanks, i hate vids though so i'm not sure if i'll use it
Reply 7114
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Hi there, welcome to the thread :smile:

Sorry to hear that you've been stressing out. At this point I wouldn't worry too much about revision because we still have a couple of months before January mocks and we haven't covered a great deal of content yet, but if you're 'getting behind' then obviously your organisational skills could do with some work. How much time are you spending on each subject per week? At my school the recommended minimum is 5 hours, and whist I admit that I don't do anywhere near that much work, it is a realistic target to aim for. Personally, I don't bring my folders in to school each day, instead I have a notepad in which to do my classwork (so much more convenient and easier to carry!). Every evening I take the opportunity to read over the day's notes when I file them away, that way I can double check that I fully understood everything that I wrote down, and I can ask my teachers questions the next day if necessary.

As far as revision is concerned, past papers are invaluable. One of my biology teachers made a 200 page long document with every past paper question from Unit 1 ever, which is a bit ridiculous, but I hope it will be handy once I actually bother to look at it. Scruitinise mark schemes so that you know exactly what examiners are looking for. I don't tend to be one for flashy posters and index cards, but a lot of my friends find them extremely helpful. On index cards they either write condensed notes or a question on one side and the answer on the other.

Hope some of that (extremely vague) 'advice' helps a little bit :tongue: . I'm afraid I don't do psychology or sociology, but if you have any specific queries for biology or chemistry then feel free to drop me a PM. I'll gladly try to help if I can :smile: .

AWW thank you so much! i feel like ave got some attention! :biggrin: thanks a lot. yuping i am planning to go over what we have covered in class, to make sure i understand it. thankssss again! have a wonderful week ahead
Quick question. How to self teach AS Physics?
Original post by borysek01

Same as self teaching most other subjects :dontknow: ? I.e. using text/workbooks and online resources such as the Physics Hypertextbook .
Original post by borysek01

Find exam board.
Download specification.
Find textbooks and online resources.
Do past papers, if you don't understand something ask a teacher.

Voila!
Reply 7118
What's the best way to truly understand a level math concepts ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7119
1 mark off a B in my film essay and got a B in my history essay wooooo

Latest