The Student Room Group

Boots Opticians Interview Tips

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by n_123
hi i have an interview on friday for apprentice optical consultant, its meant to take 30 minutes long so have you got any tips or can you tell me what to expect please?

Did they tell you the wage? I called the boots hotline they wouldn't say
Reply 21
Original post by miss_sim_simma
no idea, sorry, they haven't gotten back to me.

Ok thanks hun did they not say at the interview?
Reply 22
Original post by kittykaos
Ok thanks hun did they not say at the interview?

No, they didn't and I didn't ask silly me!
Reply 23
Original post by miss_sim_simma
No, they didn't and I didn't ask silly me!

Hi, could you tell me how much it turned out to be in the end? I have an interview but as it's an apprenticeship I know it can be as low as £2.50 an hour...
Reply 24
Hiya guys, I had an interview yesterday at Boots opticians. I asked the question about salary at the very end of my interview, was told 'I am not sure, it's currently under review. I will find out and get back to you'. How can I even begin to think I am going to get an offer when they can't even tell me what salary to expect. Very poor!!
Reply 25
Original post by Jessie D
Hiya guys, I had an interview yesterday at Boots opticians. I asked the question about salary at the very end of my interview, was told 'I am not sure, it's currently under review. I will find out and get back to you'. How can I even begin to think I am going to get an offer when they can't even tell me what salary to expect. Very poor!!

Hi, I have an interview for a trainee optical consultant position on Saturday and have been told that my interview is 1 hour long and will be competency based questions..can I find out what sort of questions they asked at your interview please would be a massive help!?
Had an interview in a north London Boots Opticians for the trainee (apprenticeship) optical consultant position about a week ago. The manager who interviewed me was lovely and extremely friendly. She asked me a few questions, to be honest I can't really remember what she asked, but a bit about me and what kind of work I'd been doing etc. A couple of the more situational questions were about giving an example of a time when I've been caring, and about when I've dealt with difficult situations at work etc. Then I was put behind the reception desk for a while to answer the phone and make a couple of calls. After that I did some leafleting on the main shop floor and then I did some organising of glasses/paperwork in a back room. All these tasks were fine as I was told exactly what to do and what to say to customers. Finally the manager and I had our closing chat and I asked about salary. It's done by band. As a trainee position in this particular location it starts at just over £7 per hour. It increases if you complete your training to progress to a higher level. These rates could differ at different stores. Overall, I thought I would be nervous but the manager and staff made it a very pleasant experience.
P.S. It can apparently get very busy in some stores and you will be on your feet most of the day so stamina will be needed for this role!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Thanks for the information! Let's hope mine is similar, did they mention how quickly they will get back to you? Good luck on getting the job!
Original post by ToVenusAndBack
Had an interview in a north London Boots Opticians for the trainee (apprenticeship) optical consultant position about a week ago. The manager who interviewed me was lovely and extremely friendly. She asked me a few questions, to be honest I can't really remember what she asked, but a bit about me and what kind of work I'd been doing etc. A couple of the more situational questions were about giving an example of a time when I've been caring, and about when I've dealt with difficult situations at work etc. Then I was put behind the reception desk for a while to answer the phone and make a couple of calls. After that I did some leafleting on the main shop floor and then I did some organising of glasses/paperwork in a back room. All these tasks were fine as I was told exactly what to do and what to say to customers. Finally the manager and I had our closing chat and I asked about salary. It's done by band. As a trainee position in this particular location it starts at just over £7 per hour. It increases if you complete your training to progress to a higher level. These rates could differ at different stores. Overall, I thought I would be nervous but the manager and staff made it a very pleasant experience.
P.S. It can apparently get very busy in some stores and you will be on your feet most of the day so stamina will be needed for this role!

The trainee position is not an apprenticeship, I thought that too at first but I had emailed them and they told me it's a job, it's just that u get trained for it that's all.
Reply 29
I've got an interview next week anyone been for an interview that could shine some light on the format and what kinda things they'd be asking?

Thanks!
Reply 30
Original post by ninah1995162
The trainee position is not an apprenticeship, I thought that too at first but I had emailed them and they told me it's a job, it's just that u get trained for it that's all.

That's actually not true it is an apprenticeship if you are put on the course.
Reply 31
i had an interview for this and it said its going to be a 1 hour competency interview, i went there and i ended up only being there for about half hour, the questions they asked me were;
what do i think good communication is?
what would i do if i had a angry customer?
asked me what i already knew about the apprenticeship, (find this out on the boots website) basically its a year apprenticeship
gave me scenario and asked what i would do, the scenario was - if i was new to the role and a woman came in saying that she wanted to bring her glasses back and everyone was busy what would i do.
asked me to give a time that i have received good customer service and why i thought it was good.
There was another question which i don't remember, but there was only a few and pretty straight forward!
the questions were printed off so i think they might ask these questions in every interview!
GOOD LUCK!

awh yeah and the starting wage is £7.11
and goes up after a year!

ALSO when i went to the interview they said this is boots way of training their people!, you do achieve a NVQ, so basically is an apprenticeship

HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by champ123
i had an interview for this and it said its going to be a 1 hour competency interview, i went there and i ended up only being there for about half hour, the questions they asked me were;
what do i think good communication is?
what would i do if i had a angry customer?
asked me what i already knew about the apprenticeship, (find this out on the boots website) basically its a year apprenticeship
gave me scenario and asked what i would do, the scenario was - if i was new to the role and a woman came in saying that she wanted to bring her glasses back and everyone was busy what would i do.
asked me to give a time that i have received good customer service and why i thought it was good.
There was another question which i don't remember, but there was only a few and pretty straight forward!
the questions were printed off so i think they might ask these questions in every interview!
GOOD LUCK!

awh yeah and the starting wage is £7.11
and goes up after a year!

ALSO when i went to the interview they said this is boots way of training their people!, you do achieve a NVQ, so basically is an apprenticeship

HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE!

Hey, was this for the trainee optical consultant position?

And did they make you do any customer service on the shop floor?

I know this was asked years ago but as someone who was looking at this before my interview and was worried the process wasn’t the same i thought i’d answer it for anyone who’s got a boots opticians interview soon. Firstly, the manager asked me about myself and did some small talk about what school i went to etc and then she started questioning me. The questions were all just scenarios such as “name me a time when you researched something for fun which you enjoyed that helped pay off at work/school” , i had an hour slot for my interview but we were done after 25/30 minutes, i hear back next week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending