The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-Mudaari
I think I understand the term much better than you do buddy. Start reading some Academic papers on the subject.

And that's good to hear, as I said, keep dedicated. That's the only way anyone can get good at it.

I sincerely doubt that you do and I am not your "buddy". Orientalism for you seems to be just another term you use to stifle debate. Well it is far more than that. Criticising Islam does not make one an Orientalist. There are plenty of countries outside Europe which have secular tolerant systems eg Israel so your idea that someone must be an Orientalist to criticise Islam does not compute.

I will keep dedicated. The question is once I become more adept at Arabic what excuse will you devise to try and excuse the anti intellectualism demonstrated in the Quran? The idea of translations being weak will not longer work in the slightest, (it is a pretty poor excuse currently)..
Reply 261
Original post by Rational Thinker
I sincerely doubt that you do and I am not your "buddy".

Of course I'm not your buddy, you're a kaafir. Why would you take a figure of speech literally?

Orientalism for you seems to be just another term you use to stifle debate. Well it is far more than that. Criticising Islam does not make one an Orientalist. There are plenty of countries outside Europe which have secular tolerant systems eg Israel so your idea that someone must be an Orientalist to criticise Islam does not compute.

Not only are you reading into things, but you clearly have a very distorted idea of what Orientilism is. Ironically, I honestly don't think you know what Orientalism is. I'd recommend reading - Orientalism, by Edward W. Said

I will keep dedicated. The question is once I become more adept at Arabic what excuse will you devise to try and excuse the anti intellectualism demonstrated in the Quran? The idea of translations being weak will not longer work in the slightest, (it is a pretty poor excuse currently)..

Well, we'll discuss about that in 20 years. Many of the great Orientalist Arab Linguists have had quite warm perceptions towards Islam.

So, I think it'll be a good thing for you, even if you don't agree with Islam, at least you won't have as much hate you as you do towards it now, as the ignorance will be washed away and you'll understand it better.
Reply 262
Of course I'm not your buddy, you're a kaafir

Yh I doubt calling him that will improve his impression on Islam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course I'm not your buddy, you're a kaafir. Why would you take a figure of speech literally?

Not only are you reading into things, but you clearly have a very distorted idea of what Orientilism is. Ironically, I honestly don't think you know what Orientalism is. I'd recommend reading - Orientalism, by Edward W. Said

Well, we'll discuss about that in 20 years. Many of the great Orientalist Arab Linguists have had quite warm perceptions towards Islam.

So, I think it'll be a good thing for you, even if you don't agree with Islam, at least you won't have as much hate you as you do towards it now, as the ignorance will be washed away and you'll understand it better.

I do not think you understand Said at all.
Reply 264
Original post by Qari
Yh I doubt calling him that will improve his impression on Islam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you read his posts, he doesn't have the intent of having anyone "impress him about Islam". His whole point of learning Arabic is so he can attack it.

Also, I don't befriend disbelievers, at least not in any close way.

I do not think you understand Said at all.

What a great answer.

"I haven't read any books on Orientalism, or know anything about the author in question, but I'll just state that "you don't understand what he said"".
(edited 10 years ago)
Well if you read his posts, he doesn't have the intent of having anyone "impress him about Islam". His whole point of learning Arabic is so he can attack it.

What a great answer.

"I haven't read any books on Orientalism, or know anything about the author in question, but I'll just state that "you don't understand what he said"".

So you're completely distorting and misrepresenting what I have said. I am not trying to attack Arabic but merely criticise the Quran. You're attempting to divide Muslims and non Muslims and it will not work. You're a التطرف extremist. As for Orientalism please offer a summary of its main themes as I do not believe you had read it.
Reply 266

What a great answer.

What is the problem with having friends from other religions?
I have a sikh,athiest and a christian.friend and I am a muslim

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree that Japanese and Chinese should be more widely taught in schools, 2 very useful and interesting languages.

Arabic, not so much
Reply 268
Yeah, pick up a book on Islamic history at your local library, it will do you some good (from the ignorance perspective at least).

If, with all your unnecessary condescension, you're just trying to point out Muslims' historical tolerance of other religious communities within their society, I must point out that I was (somewhat clearly, I thought) referring to Muslims with differing views on the Quran, not people outside Islam.
Reply 269
Original post by Ronove
If, with all your unnecessary condescension, you're just trying to point out Muslims' historical tolerance of other religious communities within their society, I must point out that I was (somewhat clearly, I thought) referring to Muslims with differing views on the Quran, not people outside Islam.

Well, unfortunately you didn't seem very specific when you said;

non-brainwashed people

Quite condescending don't you think?

So you're completely distorting and misrepresenting what I have said. I am not trying to attack Arabic but merely criticise the Quran. You're attempting to divide Muslims and non Muslims and it will not work. You're a التطرف extremist. As for Orientalism please offer a summary of its main themes as I do not believe you had read it.

lmao.

1. How can you verify whether I've read the book when you haven't yourself?

2. I know that if I give an overview, you're going to end up being judgemental and not bother to read it. It's considered an absolute masterpiece on the subject of Western Orientalism being used a powerful tool.

Read it. You can find it online; http://is.cuni.cz/studium/predmety/index.php?do=download&did=37402&kod=JMB113
(edited 10 years ago)
Well, unfortunately you didn't seem very specific when you said;

Quite condescending don't you think?

lmao.

1. How can you verify whether I've read the book when you haven't yourself?

2. I know that if I give an overview, you're going to end up being judgemental and not bother to read it. It's considered an absolute masterpiece on the subject of Western Orientalism being used a powerful tool.

Read it. You can find it online; http://is.cuni.cz/studium/predmety/index.php?do=download&did=37402&kod=JMB113

I have ready Said's Orientalism. You seem to have assumed that I have not. Said's book is not without its criticism by those such as Bernard Lewis. Either you have wasted enough of my time. I bid you good day.
Reply 271

What a pathetic person you must be. I'm a Muslim and like 90% of my friends are non-Muslim. What's wrong with having non-Muslim friends?
Reply 272
Original post by Roger1
What a pathetic person you must be. I'm a Muslim and like 90% of my friends are non-Muslim. What's wrong with having non-Muslim friends?

That explains a lot.

You shouldn't have close Non-Muslim friends.
W

You sum up everything that is retarded about fundamentalists, you are such a waste of oxygen and a carbon copy/islamist version of the BNP members who won't befriend black people.
Reply 274
That explains a lot.

Why not?
Reply 275
That explains a lot.

Err, why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamskiUK
kkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaakkkkkkkkkchchchchchchchkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk habibibabib. This is coming from somebody who speaks Urdu and Punjabi and finds Arabic to be horribly difficult and generally horribly sounding when learning.

That's hilarious, considering Urdu comes from Arabic and is a language of mispronounced Arabic words.
Whilst I can understand why it would be beneficial to learn languages such as Mandarin Chinese alongside the traditional German and Spanish, I think that I wouldn't bother learning Arabic simply because the only way I'll gladly set foot in Saudi Arabia is when the government and the general population catches up to the required level of common sense needed for me to not want to throw something at them.
Original post by NekoNoKoi
Whilst I can understand why it would be beneficial to learn languages such as Mandarin Chinese alongside the traditional German and Spanish, I think that I wouldn't bother learning Arabic simply because the only way I'll gladly set foot in Saudi Arabia is when the government and the general population catches up to the required level of common sense needed for me to not want to throw something at them.

:facepalm: You do realise that Saudi Arabia isn't the only country that speaks Arabic right?
You got loads of tourist destinations Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, Jordan, Lebanon, UAE aka Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Bahrain, etc
Original post by Iqbal007
:facepalm: You do realise that Saudi Arabia isn't the only country that speaks Arabic right?
You got loads of tourist destinations Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, Jordan, Lebanon, UAE aka Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Bahrain, etc

Fair point, however I still wouldn't want to visit some of those places because of their laws etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending