The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Post views/points/opinions in the comments, i'm currently trying to read the White Paper from cover to Cover
Reply 4401
It would be good for Scotland short term assuming we let them keep the pound and they get into the EU. But when oil is low they'll crawl back. Don't know if I'm to keen on that happening TBH. If they run out the door we should lock it.
Original post by WebKoala
It would be good for Scotland short term assuming we let them keep the pound and they get into the EU. But when oil is low they'll crawl back. Don't know if I'm to keen on that happening TBH. If they run out the door we should lock it.

Nobody has said we can't make it by ourselves. The simple fact is that the majority of us wish to remain in the UK.
Reply 4403
I personally believe Scotland would collapse if it went independent.
Reply 4404
Original post by MatureStudent36
Nobody has said we can't make it by ourselves. The simple fact is that the majority of us wish to remain in the UK.

I think you'd have to join the euro and have to wait for the E.U.
Reply 4405
Why are the English getting involved? Let the Scots decide for themselves. They've got a referendum coming up and if they leave then it's their choice and their mistake.
Reply 4406
Does all of Britain get to vote for Scottish Independence or just scotts ?
Original post by L i b
I already said I didn't watch it. What I'm questioning isn't what happened in the programme, but rather the point of having a televised debate at all.

I think this whole idea of 'winning' debates or trying to get one over on opponents is, I think, an American import which arose with the Carter/Ford presidential election. There is now a huge temptation to play a cheap, adversarial and overtly partisan stance. In the end, that only lowers debate to the lowest common denominator: soundbytes, false information, glossing over anything complicated and great public demonstrations of aggression. That serves no-one well.

As opposed to statements from biased news sources everyday or so?

Original post by WebKoala

Scotland has strong finances even without the oil.

Original post by deehee
Does all of Britain get to vote for Scottish Independence or just scotts ?

No its not just people called Scott who get to vote.
Reply 4408
http://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/assessment-on-proposals-for-scottish.html#comment-form

Good blog post on the proposed Scottish defence force. Looks like it's far too small and underfunded to be able to achieve really anything at all.
Original post by Aj12
http://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/assessment-on-proposals-for-scottish.html#comment-form

Good blog post on the proposed Scottish defence force. Looks like it's far too small and underfunded to be able to achieve really anything at all.

You beat me to it.

Wheres Maths Tutor? Even the comments pages on the Scotsman have been unite since the White Paper being published.
Reply 4410
Original post by Left Hand Drive
Scotland has strong finances even without the oil.

No it doesn't. Even with the oil we've been in deficit for the past 20 of 21 years. Even with the oil, we're running a deficit of over £7 billion.
Original post by L i b
No it doesn't. Even with the oil we've been in deficit for the past 20 of 21 years. Even with the oil, we're running a deficit of over £7 billion.

Have we not ran a surplus? Also that deficit is smaller than the rest of the UK
Have we not ran a surplus?

How can you take part with any credibility in such a debate if you don't understand that Scotland (and the UK generally) hasn't been running in surplus for a very long time indeed? The deficit, of course is always going to be made worse if a country elects a free-spending government (as most left-leaning governments are).

Also that deficit is smaller than the rest of the UK

Er, Scotland's share of anything financial to do with the UK is always going to be less that that of the rest of the UK. :rolleyes:
Original post by Good bloke
How can you take part with any credibility in such a debate if you don't understand that Scotland (and the UK generally) hasn't been running in surplus for a very long time indeed? The deficit, of course is always going to be made worse if a country elects a free-spending government (as most left-leaning governments are).

Scotland ran a surplus in 05-06 and 06-07 Lib actually knows that. I remember speaking to him about that before.

Er, Scotland's share of anything financial to do with the UK is always going to be less that that of the rest of the UK. :rolleyes:

I mean as a percentage of GDP you knew don't act like a fool
Scotland ran a surplus in 05-06 and 06-07 Lib actually knows that. I remember speaking to him about that before.

Individual year surpluses are next to irrelevant, especially in a long run of deficits. In any event, those numbers don't expose the Scottish share to elements that would be far more expensive after independence.
Reply 4416

Indeed - but I think we all know why the SNP, despite pressure from opposition parties, have never talked to them before: they won't like the answer.
L I b,

You do post a good game but why be so selective in who you answer, a few posts up someone countered your lie that Scotland has run with a deficit since 19 Canteen. Care to answer him? I'm interested to see what you say.

Was watching question time in Falkirk and I'm so pleased with how this white paper has changed things. The audience were certainly convinced of the Yes campaigns arguments and the No campaigns supporters on the panel were slautered metaphorically. Patrick Harvie is a huge asset to the yes campaign and I'm respecting the Scottish greens more and more as a result.

Vote YES.
Original post by L i b
No, and I sincerely doubt she did. The purpose of a debate is to put forward a case, not to 'win' or 'destroy' anything. What you presumably mean is that she shouted a lot.

She made him look really bad. Not just him but that Labour representative on the end of the panel. The audience were ripping into them too. The ones who have read most into this subject definitely appear to be the yes voters. Any No voters questions were laughable to say the least, most ended up nodding in agreement with Nicola.
Original post by 1tartanarmy
She made him look really bad. Not just him but that Labour representative on the end of the panel. The audience were ripping into them too. The ones who have read most into this subject definitely appear to be the yes voters. Any No voters questions were laughable to say the least, most ended up nodding in agreement with Nicola.

Just because somebody shouts the loudest does not make them more convincing. I doubt anybody in the audience pressed the bigot on her party's lies to the Scottish public or why she sees fit to take the vote from 16 and 17 year olds after the referendum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending