The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
Original post by souktik
You two managed to divert attention from the interviews and rejections for a while, though. :tongue:

Yeah, it was good procrastination from the the dual bases, annihilators and sesquilinear form sheets I was supposed to be doing.
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
*Raises eyebrows very skeptically*

As a general point it's worth remembering you don't have to actually solve the problems you're given in the interview to get a place. It's much more about seeing how students react to new ideas. Or using ideas learnt at A Level (etc) in a new way. If a student gets an answer right straight away they tend to be given a different question. The interviews are about us finding out how people think.... not perfect answers.

I see. Sorry for my misleading example.
Original post by Noble.
That's utter rubbish. Firstly, your MAT will not reflect what questions you get in the interview, how you perform with the 'basic' questions determines the rest of the interview. This is so that when they look at your MAT score and your interview score (out of 9) they're completely independent of one another. Secondly, Oxford hasn't rejected anyone with a 90+ score in the last ~5 years, apparently :lol:

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I apologize for my misleading example. Hmmm there are so many 'interview stories' by my friends but it seems many are not quite real.
Reply 1743
Original post by SherlockHolmes

My MAT went ok. I came out of the exam thinking I could get 65 but after seeing the answers people on TSR put down probably 57-61.

Wow - surprised you got a STEP offer, I thought/hoped a 'borderline' score would be lower than that considering the low average this year! Imperial are harsh, especially for specifying STEP 2/3. Congrats though :biggrin:
Original post by ambbs
Wow - surprised you got a STEP offer, I thought/hoped a 'borderline' score would be lower than that considering the low average this year! Imperial are harsh, especially for specifying STEP 2/3. Congrats though :biggrin:

I think I might have been given a STEP offer because my AS results weren't brilliant. I'm interested to see what kind of offers Imperial will give to everyone else. My maths teacher wasn't impressed with the specifying of STEP 2/3 either and said a 2 in any STEP is understandable if I was borderline but not in 2/3.
(edited 10 years ago)
Has anybody here got an offer purely based on A levels due to good MAT score?

Edit: Im talking about Imperial by the way
(edited 10 years ago)
I thought you got an offer only post interview, can you get an offer based only on the mat score?
Also as the mean score this year was lower, is that due to an increase in applications, difficulty of paper, or due to a different reason? Will the cut off mark for interview be lower than normal or roughly unchanged?
Original post by hilbert_spaces
I see. Sorry for my misleading example.

No worries. It's just this kind of urban myth/chinese whispers we're on here to help dispel. :-)
Original post by nahomyemane778
Has anybody here got an offer purely based on A levels due to good MAT score?

Edit: Im talking about Imperial by the way

Oh okay thats cool, thanks for the edit.
Reply 1750
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
The rough line in the sand this year is a bit above the average score.

Can you tell us what the 'line in the sand' was this year?
Original post by haydenkwangl
Yeah man I literally can't wait any longer :frown:((( no one has heard from it so far for maths right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The admission office said the college will send out emails by 4th..:s-smilie:
Original post by 123456789///
The admission office said the college will send out emails by 4th..:s-smilie:

Cheers for the info
Did you email Queen's directly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haydenkwangl
Cheers for the info
Did you email Queen's directly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is on their admission website. Actually, it's 5th for maths applicants...
I opened my email this morning to discover an invite for interview from Jesus College!!! xD It was sent yesterday a bit after midday, Mathematics applicant; for those who want to know. Anyone else heard back from Jesus?
Is it abnormal/frowned upon to ask for your MAT score?
Reply 1756
Original post by SherlockHolmes

I think I might have been given a STEP offer because my AS results weren't brilliant. I'm interested to see what kind of offers Imperial will give to everyone else. My maths teacher wasn't impressed with the specifying of STEP 2/3 either and said a 2 in any STEP is understandable if I was borderline but not in 2/3.

I had the same offer last year, although they gave you an offer a lot quicker than they did with me last year (February I think) and I didn't declare STEP either. I've yet to hear a more generous offer for Maths at Imperial at the moment but I think they can afford to dish out those kind of offers and still be confident that they will meet their quotas.
Reply 1757
Original post by Wobblybob76
Is it abnormal/frowned upon to ask for your MAT score?

Gee, I hope not! I would be very curious to know how I performed, even if I don't get an offer.
Got an interview from catz an hour ago! What is a mathematics applicant expected to know for the interview? Just C1 and C2?
Original post by MEPS1996
Got an interview from catz an hour ago! What is a mathematics applicant expected to know for the interview? Just C1 and C2?

Nope- I think it is unpredictable- and if it is knowledge based it will be from what modules you have told them you've covered Im guessing.

Quick Reply

Latest