The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1760
Original post by MEPS1996
Got an interview from catz an hour ago! What is a mathematics applicant expected to know for the interview? Just C1 and C2?

No, don't worry. They're pretty uninterested in testing you on stuff you already know, expect to be taught a few new concepts and then asked to problem solve questions relating to the new concepts. Usually the concepts they bring up are cleverly picked as being quite 'solitary' ideas within mathematics, so doesn't rely on more on having more than a very basic knowledge of maths.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
No, don't worry. They're pretty uninterested in testing you on stuff you already know, expect to be taught a few new concepts and then asked to problem solve questions relating to the new concepts. Usually the concepts they bring up are cleverly picked as being quite 'solitary' ideas within mathematics, so doesn't rely on more on having more than a very basic knowledge of maths.

Thanks for your reply. Any ideas on how i can prepare for my interview then?
Reply 1762
Original post by MEPS1996
Thanks for your reply. Any ideas on how i can prepare for my interview then?

I don't know really. I'm pretty crap at giving advice about preparing for the interviews because I don't really think doing anything at this stage makes a realistic difference to interview performance, unless you think you're likely to struggle with the initial questions. If you struggle with graph sketching of unfamiliar functions, you should brush up on it, because you will, in all likelihood, be asked to sketch something. If you're not used to 'talking' about a maths problem, it'll also help to practice saying a problem out loud (and explaining your solution).

Also, have a look through here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=32534&d=1164792304

A lot of them aren't really like interview questions, but they promote the same kind of thinking they'll be looking for.
Reply 1763
Original post by Noble.

do they ask you questions based on alevel maths topics aswell but that are harder such as prove this or something?
Reply 1764
Original post by IceKidd
do they ask you questions based on alevel maths topics aswell but that are harder such as prove this or something?

They could, but don't really. Mostly because it'll be a question/proof a lot of people will have seen before. A lot of the initial questions (like, very initial questions) are essentially A-Level questions, but once you've answered it they'll very quickly move onto more complicated ideas within the same concept.
Reply 1765
Original post by Noble.
They could, but don't really. Mostly because it'll be a question/proof a lot of people will have seen before. A lot of the initial questions (like, very initial questions) are essentially A-Level questions, but once you've answered it they'll very quickly move onto more complicated ideas within the same concept.

when you say youre taught a few new concepts and tested on that...is it like easy questions on degree material, or just concepts in alevel topics youve learnt but focussing on things that are pretty much ignored at alevel?
Reply 1766
Original post by IceKidd
when you say youre taught a few new concepts and tested on that...is it like easy questions on degree material, or just concepts in alevel topics youve learnt but focussing on things that are pretty much ignored at alevel?

Either.
Reply 1767
Original post by Noble.
Either.

oh ok...i guess the best prep would just to be to revise alevel then...

or learn every maths topic that exists in 2 weeks hmmm, dont think a lifetime would even nearly suffice :colone:
Reply 1768
does anyone have any idea how the MAT scores and contextualised GCSEs are "combined"? i imagine they must put some numerical value to it or something so they can have an ordered list
Reply 1769
Original post by IceKidd
oh ok...i guess the best prep would just to be to revise alevel then...

or learn every maths topic that exists in 2 weeks hmmm, dont think a lifetime would even nearly suffice :colone:

So, have Merton sent out invites?
Reply 1770
Original post by souktik
So, have Merton sent out invites?

no i havent got one. im just thinking about what i should do as prep if i do get one, from what ive heard i probably wont find out if ive been rejected/offered interview till after the weekend
Reply 1771
Original post by IceKidd
no i havent got one. im just thinking about what i should do as prep if i do get one, from what ive heard i probably wont find out if ive been rejected/offered interview till after the weekend

Best of luck, I'm sure Merton will send you that invitation soon. :smile:
Reply 1772
Original post by souktik
Best of luck, I'm sure Merton will send you that invitation soon. :smile:

haha cheers, your interviews coming up soon though naa, so goodluck!
Reply 1773
Original post by IceKidd
haha cheers, your interviews coming up soon though naa, so goodluck!

Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty darn close. Also, I would be having a telephone interview from school instead of a Skype interview from home - I have a very bad feeling about this. :frown:
Reply 1774
Original post by souktik
Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty darn close. Also, I would be having a telephone interview from school instead of a Skype interview from home - I have a very bad feeling about this. :frown:

that sounds quite surprising! i wonder why they wouldnt want to do a video call as i would imagine youd need to write stuff down when working out,graph sketching etc... Personally, Id have thought that limits what you can discuss and be asked unnecessarily.

Oh well, i guess you can always put it on speakerphone with all your maths teachers sitting quietly and writing down the answers to their questions for you haha!
Reply 1775
Original post by IceKidd
that sounds quite surprising! i wonder why they wouldnt want to do a video call as i would imagine youd need to write stuff down when working out,graph sketching etc... Personally, Id have thought that limits what you can discuss and be asked unnecessarily.

Oh well, i guess you can always put it on speakerphone with all your maths teachers sitting quietly and writing down the answers to their questions for you haha!

This wasn't their first preference, of course. They originally wanted a Skype interview, but in my school. School said that that wouldn't be possible, which I conveyed to them (adding that I would be able to Skype from home instead). But I was given a time slot for a telephone interview from school, ah well. I'm happy to just have an interview, though.
Has anyone heard anything from Balliol? I'm getting more and more nervous as the days go on!
Original post by Louise246
Has anyone heard anything from Balliol? I'm getting more and more nervous as the days go on!

I'm on the same boat as you.
No news from Balliol for CompSci and Mathematics as far as I know :/
We still have 7 more days before it's 1 week to interview..so most probably we'd hear within the coming week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louise246

Original post by examman123
I'm on the same boat as you.
No news from Balliol for CompSci and Mathematics as far as I know :/
We still have 7 more days before it's 1 week to interview..so most probably we'd hear within the coming week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also applying to Balliol- no news so far
Does anyone know who to email to find out your MAT score? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending