The Student Room Group

Who do you think should win the Balon D'or this year?

Scroll to see replies

I'm biased as I'm a Bayern fan but Ribery. He is good in the Champions League, but domestically, he is phenomenal. He is every bit as good a dribbler as Messi and Ronaldo and I'm inclined to say better. Put 3 players round him and he'll still get away no problem with a nut-meg in there too. The only disadvantage is goals, but Messi plays as a striker and both him and Ronaldo take penalties etc whereas Ribery doesn't. The number of assists he gets is fantastic however. He won the treble and was the best player in the team. He's even doing brilliantly for France as well.

I do have a feeling that Ronaldo will win it though.
Reply 101
Original post by Wilfred Little
Because they're already the best :biggrin:. Messi & Ronaldo cannot improve on their club performances they simply cannot.

Yeah, I agree. But since the Ballon d'Or was created only Messi won it and most of the players who are still awarded as 2nd etc come either from Barca or Real (<3). It shouldnt be this waay.
Reply 102
Original post by AndrewSCO
I'm biased as I'm a Bayern fan but Ribery. He is good in the Champions League, but domestically, he is phenomenal. He is every bit as good a dribbler as Messi and Ronaldo and I'm inclined to say better. Put 3 players round him and he'll still get away no problem with a nut-meg in there too. The only disadvantage is goals, but Messi plays as a striker and both him and Ronaldo take penalties etc whereas Ribery doesn't. The number of assists he gets is fantastic however. He won the treble and was the best player in the team. He's even doing brilliantly for France as well.

I do have a feeling that Ronaldo will win it though.

Personally, Schweinsteigger deserves it more from your team.
Any of schweinsteigger, robben(due to his CL performances, from quarters onwards he had a drogba like impact tbh) or lahm should get the award if ribery is seriously being considered for the award.
Original post by Aniaa
Yeah, I agree. But since the Ballon d'Or was created only Messi won it and most of the players who are still awarded as 2nd etc come either from Barca or Real (<3). It shouldnt be this waay.

Because they're the best players

Posted from TSR Mobile
I watch every Bayern game and have to disagree. Schweinsteiger wasn't at his best at the start of last season, he was still very good, but not at his very best. To be fair though, he was exceptional against Barca. Him and Martinez completely bossed the midfield. Lahm, he did captain the side, was very consistent and his assist bumbers from defence is phenomenal. However, I still think Ribery was the best. I've said this a few times elsewhere, but I believe that Schweinsteiger is Bayern's most important player, but Ribery is the best player. With the additions of Thiago and Gotze this season, Schweinsteiger's current injury isn't affecting the team as much as it did last season though.

Ribery playing domestically is absolutely sensational.
I watch every Bayern game and have to disagree. Schweinsteiger wasn't at his best at the start of last season, he was still very good, but not at his very best. To be fair though, he was exceptional against Barca. Him and Martinez completely bossed the midfield. Lahm, he did captain the side, was very consistent and his assist bumbers from defence is phenomenal. However, I still think Ribery was the best. I've said this a few times elsewhere, but I believe that Schweinsteiger is Bayern's most important player, but Ribery is the best player. With the additions of Thiago and Gotze this season, Schweinsteiger's current injury isn't affecting the team as much as it did last season though.

Ribery never has, and never will be on the same level as Messi and Ronaldo. They are arguably the greatest of all time.

However, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with Ribery>Messi in 2013.
Reply 106
Ronaldo will win it, think its a foregone conclusion, with Messi's injury as well; lets take nothing away from Ribery, he has a fantastic asset to the Bayern side and if it wasnt for Lionel and Cristiano, I think Ribery would take it.
Reply 107
Emile Heskey
Reply 108
Shane Long
Reply 109
Original post by Sagacious
Ribery never has, and never will be on the same level as Messi and Ronaldo. They are arguably the greatest of all time.

However, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with Ribery>Messi in 2013.

Lol, na that ain't true, Messi basically has matched ronaldo this year but got injured. Ribery is not in the conversation, as is nobody else but Messi or Ronaldo.

I get you here, but I think bayerns CL win was mainly a team thing, without ribery you had robben who when fit and playing regularly put up similar numbers, with more goals less assists and was very good in the CL, probably your best player in that competition the quarters onwards. Without schweinsteigger last season you struggled at times, the arsenal game e.g. would have been wrapped up had he been in midfield for the second leg. I think that's why it'll be hard for ribery to win it. If he'd got a season long injury, you'd have still wrapped the league up with ease last season. Only schweinsteigger/lahm would have been a big miss from that team.
Original post by sucess
what what are you blind, messi is far better than ronaldo

Messi is a one trick pony who is only good because his team play for him. Outside a team like Barcelona he would fail- as was evident when he played for Argentina at the start, they didn't play for him and hence he failed. Messi needs to attention or else he is useless.
Ronaldo however would be equally effective if you put him in a Sunday League team, he is a more complete player and better in pretty much every way. So to answer your question, no I am not blind- on the contrary you are.
Original post by Litterbug
Messi is a one trick pony who is only good because his team play for him. Outside a team like Barcelona he would fail- as was evident when he played for Argentina at the start, they didn't play for him and hence he failed. Messi needs to attention or else he is useless.
Ronaldo however would be equally effective if you put him in a Sunday League team, he is a more complete player and better in pretty much every way. So to answer your question, no I am not blind- on the contrary you are.

Nope you're blind.
Reply 112

Argentina doesn't play for him now and he scored more for them in the WC qualification than CR did for Portugal. Not to mention he helped them to directly qualify, something that CR and Portugal failed to do.
Reply 113
I still think Messi can win this, but I'd love Ronaldo to.
Reply 114
It's a constant pain seeing Ribery cry for the Balon D'or
Original post by xmertic
Portugal would have got destroyed by Sweden if it weren't for Ronaldo. Did you not watch the game?

It does define, he has better all round attributes.

No you don't, there is no obligation for you to reply. You chose to reply. It wasn't silly though was it, look at the poll results as of yet, 51 votes for Ronaldo, 7 for Messi. 50 people agree with me, 6 people agree with you. So that's not really all that silly is it? It is a way of a discussion yes, but this was a type of forum post where I simply wanted to put my opinion out there. You probably replied to start this debate because you like arguing with people.

I can't be bothered replying anymore, put all my points across and you obviously are quite stubborn. So I'll leave it now :smile:

P.s. Just because there is no neg rating doesn't mean you have to reply :wink:

Funny how majority of people who voted for Ronaldo didn't actually explain why he should. Just because he's had a good last two months doesn't matter it's over the whole year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
Original post by Malevolent
Funny how majority of people who voted for Ronaldo didn't actually explain why he should. Just because he's had a good last two months doesn't matter it's over the whole year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last two to three seasons all he's done has got better and better. He hasn't only been good for two months, that's Ramsey
Ronaldo deserves it by far
Messi is a one trick pony who is only good because his team play for him. Outside a team like Barcelona he would fail- as was evident when he played for Argentina at the start, they didn't play for him and hence he failed. Messi needs to attention or else he is useless.Ronaldo however would be equally effective if you put him in a Sunday League team, he is a more complete player and better in pretty much every way. So to answer your question, no I am not blind- on the contrary you are.
So clueless.
Funny how Ronaldo fans for the past 5 years have always argued that you can't simply compare him and Messi on stats (because Messi always came out on top). Now, finally Ronaldo is having a better season, coincidently the same season Messi has injury problems and all of a sudden Ronaldo fans are using stats to claim he is the best :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest