The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Feeling much better about the numeracy test now I've been practising on the extra tests you pay for (not sure what it's called!) still nervous about failing though!! :/
If UCAS teacher training is down for track, apply etc does this mean referees will not be able to access it over the weekend?!
Original post by steph_cook92
For those of you who have to prepare a presentation, will you be using some form of notes to help remember what to say? I don't whether I should or not :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey - I'm just going to have a couple of prompt cards with just a few notes on each to remind me of the order I want to say things in - my uni specified this was ok in the interview letter (no digital support allowed)

Original post by Airfairy
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has a back up plan? I've been investing so much time into the PGCE application and the hope I'll get onto one, then my mum asked me what I plan to do if I don't get in. I mean I will most likely try again, but I don't have a back up plan in the mean time. That's only just hit me :frown: I have no idea what I'll do otherwise!

To be honest I don't really have one :frown:
I guess I will keep working in the school I am now, or possibly look for a different kind of school to get more varied experiences. I can't imagine not working in a school!
If I don't get in I will try to find a job in a school, build up my experience and apply again in the future.
Reply 2224
Original post by Airfairy
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has a back up plan? I've been investing so much time into the PGCE application and the hope I'll get onto one, then my mum asked me what I plan to do if I don't get in. I mean I will most likely try again, but I don't have a back up plan in the mean time. That's only just hit me :frown: I have no idea what I'll do otherwise!

I haven't got one yet either and I know I need one. I do plan on thinking of one but I just haven't got around to it yet!

If I don't get in, I don't think I'll personally be applying again (I'm not one of those that will die if they don't get a place - and I'm more worried about failing the medical side of it all due to my mental health issues than at the interview - and unfortunately those won't have disappeared in a year's time so if that holds me back, I wouldn't retry).

At the moment the only job I can imagine doing is teaching though. But I'm not getting any younger, and definitely not getting any richer, so I know I need a backup plan.

What... I don't know though!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Brooksy1704
Feeling much better about the numeracy test now I've been practising on the extra tests you pay for (not sure what it's called!) still nervous about failing though!! :/
where can I find these practice tests in which you are paying for?
Original post by tory88
It depends how best you think you can deliver the presentation. Looking down at notes makes someone seem to lack confidence and authority, and for me can often trip me up if I lose my place. I won't be using notes myself, but can see how they could be helpful. The best piece of advice I was given was take print-offs of the slides with a few extra words on and lay them out next to the computer (if you're using powerpoint). Then when you go to change slide, if you feel a little lost you can have a quick glance.

Personally, I've been really struggling to choose a topic. What are you doing yours on?

I can't use any IT facilities and I've got to bring an artefact and explain how that can stimulate learning and interest in primary curriculum areas. I've chosen a book and have planned what I'm going to say, I just wondered whether they would look down on me having a few notes for prompts in case my mind goes blank :/ have you not been given a specific topic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2227
Original post by steph_cook92
I can't use any IT facilities and I've got to bring an artefact and explain how that can stimulate learning and interest in primary curriculum areas. I've chosen a book and have planned what I'm going to say, I just wondered whether they would look down on me having a few notes for prompts in case my mind goes blank :/ have you not been given a specific topic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems very different to mine, but I doubt it would seem bad if you had a few notes - I knew a lot of teachers that kept notes/a textbook open on their desks whilst they taught if they weren't using powerpoint. Just make sure you're still expressive, giving off positive body language, making eye contact. Also, make it certain that it doesn't look like you have a script written out (perhaps flash cards?).

I'm applying for secondary physics with maths, so I've just been told to present on anything in science at a level of a reasonably intelligent student who has just completed their GCSEs.
Reply 2228
Hi everyone!
Just found out i have an interview next Friday so now that means an interview on Thursday and Friday so little time to prepare!!
Really hoping it all goes well and for everyone else too
Original post by Ar1234
Hi everyone!
Just found out i have an interview next Friday so now that means an interview on Thursday and Friday so little time to prepare!!
Really hoping it all goes well and for everyone else too

Hey congrats :smile:

If you dont mind me asking, where else do you have the interview?
Reply 2230
Original post by Descartes93

Thankyou
have it at kings
Reply 2231

Where else have u applied for english??
Original post by Ar1234
Where else have u applied for english??

Goldsmiths and UEL - I was going to apply to Kings actually lol but the small intake put me off bc im sure there are graduates (like you!) who are a million times better/more experienced than me so didn't want to waste a place lol. Congrats again though, its an amazing achievement and you should be proud of yourself regardless! Let us know how the interview goes anyway - really hope it goes well. X
Reply 2233
Goldsmiths and UEL - I was going to apply to Kings actually lol but the small intake put me off bc im sure there are graduates (like you!) who are a million times better/more experienced than me so didn't want to waste a place lol. Congrats again though, its an amazing achievement and you should be proud of yourself regardless! Let us know how the interview goes anyway - really hope it goes well. X

Believe in yourself and i doubt very much I'm more experienced tbh but thank you for your kind words hope all your interviews go well I'm sure you'll ace them all!! And if I'm not wrong i will see you thursday at IOE??
Original post by Ar1234
Believe in yourself and i doubt very much I'm more experienced tbh but thank you for your kind words hope all your interviews go well I'm sure you'll ace them all!! And if I'm not wrong i will see you thursday at IOE??

Yes hopefully! I don't know how we'd spot each other though lol..I will probably be the awkward person staring at everyone to work out if they are you haha!!!
Reply 2235
Yes hopefully! I don't know how we'd spot each other though lol..I will probably be the awkward person staring at everyone to work out if they are you haha!!!

Oh yes now thats gona be awkward how are we gona spot each other??

Wait it il send u a pm
Original post by Smartypantsj
where can I find these practice tests in which you are paying for?

On the same website you find the four free ones.
they are under extra materials I think it is
Hello everyone

i have just returned from abroad due to a family emergency just before summer. I already know who my references are and what unis I want to go to. Can someone give me a step by step guide on what to do and please tell me of any important dates. I will attempt to finish my personal statement over the weekend and I will get my references by Monday/Tuesday hopefully. I have emailed schools for voluntary work but I don't knowing they'll reply
On time. I want to do secondary science. I thought to apply for Kings Goldsmiths and UEL. Is it too late for Kings and far fetched. Please give me your brutal honesty. P.S. What are these tests people are doing and are they compulsory?
I am just wandering with regards to References, who did everybody pick? I already have a tutor to do the academic one, but I don't necessarily trust my ex-manager to write one for me. Can you have two tutors? Or can it just be a family friend who is a professional?

Thank You :smile:
How do you find out the intake limit?

Latest

Trending

Trending