The Student Room Group

Muslim students at Queen Mary calling for a ‘right to pray’

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shouldbestudying
Well why did you bother responding to this thread in the first place? It's not like we were ever going to affect the decision.

Cos there were a lot of assumptions which i cleared up.
Reply 261
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Being called out for your immaturity isn't being "butthurt". Trying to continue an already lost argument on a closed case - is.

You're assuming that I lost the argument because QM reversed it's decision but I don't think what was said on this thread contributed to that in any way. It's a damn book, I can do whatever I want to it. Maturity does not equate to slavishly respecting literary works of fiction.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 262
Original post by Iqbal007
Cos there were a lot of assumptions which i cleared up.

That's exactly what I did too.
You're assuming that I lost the argument because QM reversed it's decision but I don't think what was said on this thread contributed to that in any way. It's a damn book, I can do whatever I want to it. Maturity does not equate to slavishly respecting literary works of fiction.

It's not just any book, it's considered the word of God by billions of people.

Have some respect.
Reply 264
It's not just any book, it's considered the word of God by billions of people.

Have some respect.

2 billion consider it to be the word of God, 5 billion do not. I do not. I don't see why it should be respected. I can do what I want to it, especially when there are no Muslims present.
2 billion consider it to be the word of God, 5 billion do not. I do not. I don't see why it should be respected. I can do what I want to it, especially when there are no Muslims present.

You don't have to respect a book, but rather respect a 5th of the worlds population by not doing something as silly as ripping its pages. I wouldn't go around burning the bible, or national flags or anything, even though I'm staunchly against these ideals.

You know what, nvm. You're too kiddy to waste time on.
Reply 266
I can remember in year 9 our prayer room at my secondary school was full during friday prayer. So me and about 10-15 other mates went onto the field and laid down our jackets and prayed. It was so much better than inside tbh lol :tongue:, plus it was sunny as hell so we all got some of that juicy vitamin D :biggrin:.
That's exactly what I did too.

No, its very different I came on to explain the reasoning, etc cos I know the ISOC people and seen the issue first hand.
Reply 268
You don't have to respect a book, but rather respect a 5th of the worlds population by not doing something as silly as ripping its pages. I wouldn't go around burning the bible, or national flags or anything, even though I'm staunchly against these ideals.

You know what, nvm. You're too kiddy to waste time on.

If I'm in my own room, by myself, ripping out the pages of the Quran, what is so wrong with that? No one gets hurt in anyway. There's no intrinsic wrongness to it whatsoever.
Reply 269
No, its very different I came on to explain the reasoning, etc cos I know the ISOC people and seen the issue first hand.

I know the issue first hand too, some friends of close mine are apart of the campaign. I was told about some assumptions the Isoc had and I came here to challenge these assumptions that the campaign was based on.
If I'm in my own room, by myself, ripping out the pages of the Quran, what is so wrong with that? No one gets hurt in anyway. There's no intrinsic wrongness to it whatsoever.

Well, if you're doing that in your own room, by yourself, then I'd suggest you go see a doctor.
Reply 271
Well, if you're doing that in your own room, by yourself, then I'd suggest you go see a doctor.

I was just curious. I wanted to see whether Allah would get off his throne and stop me from desecrating his holy words.
I was just curious. I wanted to see whether Allah would get off his throne and stop me from desecrating his holy words.

I'm sure if such an experiment always showed certain results, no one would follow anything but Islam. I mean, do you really think after doing all these atrocious acts, that God should suddenly be expected to make you believe in a greater reality, without any real effort from your part - yeah, keep dreaming.

. But let me quote you something a very wise man once said -

Imam al-Shafi'i remarked, "There is a verse in the Qur'an that every wrongdoer should be terrified of."

He was asked, "What verse is that?"

He repiled, "'And your Lord never forgets.'" [Qur'an - Surah Maryan: 64]

I'm hopeful that your curiosity has ended and you'll be a little more considerate in the future.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 273
I'm sure if such an experiment always showed certain results, no one would follow anything but Islam. But let me quote you something a very wise man once said -

Imam al-Shafi'i remarked, "There is a verse in the Qur'an that every wrongdoer should be terrified of."

He was asked, "What verse is that?"

He repiled, "'And your Lord never forgets.'" [Qur'an - Surah Maryan: 64]

I'm hopeful that your curiosity has ended and you'll be a little more considerate in the future.

Nope, I'm even more curious now. I'll probably go to greater lengths to get Allah's attention. You know, just to see if he's actually up there.
I know the issue first hand too, some friends of close mine are apart of the campaign. I was told about some assumptions the Isoc had and I came here to challenge these assumptions that the campaign was based on.

I very much doubt that.......new member and this was your first thread, such a coincidence.
Who are these friends? Cos I do know them all, so go for it.

You came on here and put your view forward without even discussing why the isoc was doing what it was doing, nor did you give the background to the story.
Reply 275

To be fair, ripping up books in your own home then bragging about it to people over the internet because you have nothing better to do?

Yea, that is pretty childish. Now if you had the balls to do that in public for a specific reason, now that would be different.
Reply 276
Original post by Another
To be fair, ripping up books in your own home then bragging about it to people over the internet because you have nothing better to do?

Yea, that is pretty childish. Now if you had the balls to do that in public for a specific reason, now that would be different.

I suppose you’re Muslim, right? I wasn’t bragging about it,or else I would have started a topic called ‘Ripping our pages of the Quran for fun’. It came up in the conversation. How can you call it childish when you have no idea of the context in which it was being done? You don’t know how I was feeling or what lead me to doing it. Well it's common sense, off course I won’t be desecrating the Quran in public, I don’t want to get arrested and I don’t want to get beheaded by offended Muslims.
Reply 277
I very much doubt that.......new member and this was your first thread, such a coincidence.
Who are these friends? Cos I do know them all, so go for it.

You came on here and put your view forward without even discussing why the isoc was doing what it was doing, nor did you give the background to the story.

I got a tsr account on the day they first told me about the campaign. I really thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss andI had a lot to say. I don’t like offending close friends so I created this topic to rant instead. I’m not going to name them on a public forum and I doubt you know every single Muslim student at QM. I actually explained as much as I knew at the time, I even included the point that the Isoc is not convinced thatthe hall is in use.
Reply 278
The Queen Mary University of London has seen some recent protests by its Islamic Society because university officials have refused a recent demand it has made.

From what I have heard on their Facebook page, the society is calling for a ‘right to pray’ and they seem to be very emotional and passionate about their cause. The claim is that the prayer room is insufficient to cater for the large number of Muslim students wishing to use it on Friday evenings. The society has requested to hold prayers in a lecture theatre on Fridays but the university has refused this as the room is in use. The society is sceptical of this claim.

I personally think that everyone should have the opportunity to practicetheir faith. HOWEVER demanding that a public institution (established for the purpose of education) must cater for religion to such a great extent seems quite absurd. This is true especially in this case for several reasons. There is already an established prayer room and there are several mosques near the university that the students can attend if there is insufficient space in the prayer room. I think it is an inappropriate and unjustified campaign by the QM Islamic Society.

What’s your view on this call for a ‘right to pray’?

go pray in a mosque, home, whatever not at school .. **** we are supposed to be a secular country
Reply 279
I suppose you’re Muslim, right? I wasn’t bragging about it,or else I would have started a topic called ‘Ripping our pages of the Quran for fun’. It came up in the conversation. How can you call it childish when you have no idea of the context in which it was being done? You don’t know how I was feeling or what lead me to doing it. Well it's common sense, off course I won’t be desecrating the Quran in public, I don’t want to get arrested and I don’t want to get beheaded by offended Muslims.

What if I was? What if I wasn't? Does it matter?

It didn't quite "just come up", you could have avoided it pretty easily. No matter which way you look at it, taking joy in destroying something else doesn't seem all too mature. I'll assume you have a legit reason for it...

I wasn't aware that ripping up a book would actually get you arrested. But if you wanted to prove to others why you don't believe in God and show them the way you think, surely that's alot less offensive than going "Hey, look what I can do, I can rip a page out of the holy book!"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending