The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noble.
Not quite.

y=xxy = x^x

Taking logs you get

log(y)=xlog(x)\log(y) = x\log(x)

When you differentiate, you need to remember that yy is a function of xx.

I edited my above post since I couldn't get the latex down, or is that still wrong? .. Oh I see my mistake I differentiated incorrectly, do you get y' = (ln(x) +1)e^(xln(x)) ?

And thanks revelry26!
Original post by revelry26
How many questions are you done with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I've only just started, have done the second, about to do the third. How about you, how far have you gotten?

Btw are there solutions for these questions?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheFuture001
Well I've only just started, have done the second, about to do the third. How about you, how far have you gotten?

Btw are there solutions for these questions?

14. I'm stuck on the fifteenth but I have have a feeling that it's not that hard and I'm just missing some crucial step.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1803
I edited my above post since I couldn't get the latex down, or is that still wrong? .. Oh I see my mistake I differentiated incorrectly, do you get y' = (ln(x) +1)e^(xln(x)) ?

And thanks revelry26!

Yes, but note that exln(x)=eln(xx)=xx=ye^{x\ln(x)} = e^{\ln(x^x)} = x^x = y

The cleanest way is just to note that

1ydydx=xx+ln(x)=1+ln(x)\dfrac{1}{y}\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{x}{x} + \ln(x) = 1 + \ln(x)

So,

dydx=y(1+ln(x))\dfrac{dy}{dx} = y(1+\ln(x)) and y=xxy = x^x giving

dydx=xx(1+ln(x))\dfrac{dy}{dx} = x^x(1+\ln(x))
Original post by Noble.
Yes, but note that exln(x)=eln(xx)=xx=ye^{x\ln(x)} = e^{\ln(x^x)} = x^x = y

The cleanest way is just to note that

1ydydx=xx+ln(x)=1+ln(x)\dfrac{1}{y}\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{x}{x} + \ln(x) = 1 + \ln(x)

So,

dydx=y(1+ln(x))\dfrac{dy}{dx} = y(1+\ln(x)) and y=xxy = x^x giving

dydx=xx(1+ln(x))\dfrac{dy}{dx} = x^x(1+\ln(x))

Oh yes, I see very nice. Thanks

@revelry26 I'm going to check that out now.
Oh yes, I see very nice. Thanks

@revelry26 I'm going to check that out now.

Please let me know after you're done with that one :smile: I could use a hint :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1806
Please let me know after you're done with that one :smile: I could use a hint :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best hint would be to skip 15, it isn't integrable :tongue:

Certainly not using pre-university techniques anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha right back at cha :L

Original post by Noble.

Oh really? Well thank God for that I couldn't see a breakthrough anywhere.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Noble.

Isn't integrable or isn't integrable because I don't know the technique yet? Could you please give me a hint regarding the technique? I tried some substitutions but they all lead to bizarre stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1809
Isn't integrable or isn't integrable because I don't know the technique yet? Could you please give me a hint regarding the technique? I tried some substitutions but they all lead to bizarre stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It can be done using the power series of ln(x)\ln(x). it still doesn't integrate to a nice function though.
Original post by Noble.
It can be done using the power series of ln(x)\ln(x). it still doesn't integrate to a nice function though.

Using ln(1+x)=x1x22+x33x44+... where 1<x1\ln(1+x) = \frac{x}{1}-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{x^4}{4}+... \text{ where }-1<x\le 1 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1811
Using ln(1+x)=x1x22+x33x44+... where 1<x1\ln(1+x) = \frac{x}{1}-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{x^4}{4}+... \text{ where }-1<x\le 1 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, pretty much. You'd get an answer in terms of a power series, but it's probably the most straight-forward way to do it.
Original post by Noble.
Yes, pretty much. You'd get an answer in terms of a power series, but it's probably the most straight-forward way to do it.

Okay. Makes a little bit of sense. I need to work on that one a bit more. Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 1813
x

x

Hi! Mind if I join? :smile:
Original post by souktik
Hi! Mind if I join? :smile:

Not at all :smile: we were talking about the Oxford interview questions. Did you have a look at those?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1815
Not at all :smile: we were talking about the Oxford interview questions. Did you have a look at those?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm very bad at these graph sketching questions. Any suggestions for where I can practice such questions from? :P
Have y'all heard back from your colleges or are you practicing just in case? Merton said on their Facebook that the letters were being sent out every day by subject, so I hope Mathematics comes soon. I've become so on-edge, it's gotten to the point where I have a mini-heart attack everytime my phone makes the email notification sound, only to read it and see it's some irrelevant message.

Also where do I find these interview questions that are being discussed?
Reply 1817

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I know. That's what I wanted to join. :tongue:
Just taking a look. :smile:
The non-calculus questions seem interesting enough.
Original post by souktik
Yeah, I know. That's what I wanted to join. :tongue:
Just taking a look. :smile:
The non-calculus questions seem interesting enough.

The calculus ones are pretty easy so far. The others are interesting. I'm still not convinced with my solution for the fifteenth one. :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1819
Original post by dutchmaths
Have y'all heard back from your colleges or are you practicing just in case? Merton said on their Facebook that the letters were being sent out every day by subject, so I hope Mathematics comes soon. I've become so on-edge, it's gotten to the point where I have a mini-heart attack everytime my phone makes the email notification sound, only to read it and see it's some irrelevant message.

Also where do I find these interview questions that are being discussed?

Many colleges are yet to send out Maths invites, it seems. Go back a couple of pages, I believe Noble posted them as an attached docx.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending