The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Hello, I'm currently in year eleven (early, I know :tongue:) and I just wondered if anyone could give me a quick run down on what a biomed degree is like?
Reply 741
Original post by Vionar
Hello, I'm currently in year eleven (early, I know :tongue:) and I just wondered if anyone could give me a quick run down on what a biomed degree is like?

It's bassicly biology with a modern medicine aspect. You learn different modules from genetics to anatomy. Different unis have different modules. It's a course that is good if you like human biology and interested in medicine. Some people go into graduate entry med and most into lab jobs. There are loads of other career choices such as journalism and going into the BBC. Working for pharmaceutical companies etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 742
Original post by kayy17
It's bassicly biology with a modern medicine aspect. You learn different modules from genetics to anatomy. Different unis have different modules. It's a course that is good if you like human biology and interested in medicine. Some people go into graduate entry med and most into lab jobs. There are loads of other career choices such as journalism and going into the BBC. Working for pharmaceutical companies etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds awesome and almost perfect for me :biggrin: Thanks for the info :biggrin:
Hello! Have applied to do biomedical science and received offers from surrey, bath and Sheffield, waiting for Durham and Warwick! Clueless to which unis to put as firm and insurance! Any ideas? Which uni is better? As Warwick is higher in the overall league table but lower for biomed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bumblebee!
Hello! Have applied to do biomedical science and received offers from surrey, bath and Sheffield, waiting for Durham and Warwick! Clueless to which unis to put as firm and insurance! Any ideas? Which uni is better? As Warwick is higher in the overall league table but lower for biomed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a first year biomed student at Warwick. The department is very good, although they're not massively organised at some points. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lethorio
I'm a first year biomed student at Warwick. The department is very good, although they're not massively organised at some points. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm just not too sure how I'm going to choose! Because Warwick looks SO GOOD and it's in a good distance. It's high in the league tables but a bit lower in science league tables, whereas Sheffield is higher!
Is Warwick IBMS accredited?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! I'm just not too sure how I'm going to choose! Because Warwick looks SO GOOD and it's in a good distance. It's high in the league tables but a bit lower in science league tables, whereas Sheffield is higher!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, it's unaccredited. The quality of the teaching is very high. I was told that the league position was due to a massive overhaul a few years ago that caused quite a lot of disruption but was done to improve the department in the long term. I have no idea how much truth there is in this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

IBMS accredited degrees are more focused on providing students with essentials and core knowledge required for an NHS related job. The Biomedical Science degree at Warwick is more focused on the research side of things. Instead of trying to build a lab technician, they want to focus on creating a mindset based on becoming a researcher. A lot of people I know are currently applying for graduate entry medicine. The department at Warwick is highly renowned for it's quality research at an international level.

That's probably the reason why I chose Warwick over Sheffield.
Reply 748
Original post by Eloades11
IBMS accredited degrees are more focused on providing students with essentials and core knowledge required for an NHS related job. The Biomedical Science degree at Warwick is more focused on the research side of things. Instead of trying to build a lab technician, they want to focus on creating a mindset based on becoming a researcher. A lot of people I know are currently applying for graduate entry medicine. The department at Warwick is highly renowned for it's quality research at an international level.

That's probably the reason why I chose Warwick over Sheffield.

you do realise one can apply for gem with an ibms accredited biomed degree.
Original post by smd4std
you do realise one can apply for gem with an ibms accredited biomed degree.

Hence why I said I know a lot of people applying for graduate medicine. I don't know if/how ibms accredited helps for gem, it's not my place to know. All I know is that gem is extremely competitive.
Reply 750
Original post by Eloades11
Hence why I said I know a lot of people applying for graduate medicine. I don't know if/how ibms accredited helps for gem, it's not my place to know. All I know is that gem is extremely competitive.

people get in to GEM with 2.1's...
Reply 751
Original post by smd4std
people get in to GEM with 2.1's...

A couple even take 2.2, but your grade plays a minute role in the decision to take your application further. GEM is definitely far more competitive.
Reply 752
I'm thinking that perhaps I should've followed the GEM crowd - employment as a biomedy with an accredited degree but lacking a IBMS portfolio completion is ridiculously difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 753
Original post by ash92:)
I'm thinking that perhaps I should've followed the GEM crowd - employment as a biomedy with an accredited degree but lacking a IBMS portfolio completion is ridiculously difficult.

In the current climate, everything is ridiculously difficult, and you won't find an easier time with the GEM crowd.
Original post by Yawn11
In the current climate, everything is ridiculously difficult, and you won't find an easier time with the GEM crowd.

I feel so stupid asking this but what is GEM? ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 755

Graduate entry medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graduate entry medicine. Usually a year shorter than the undergraduate course but significantly harder to get onto because there are so few places.
Reply 757
Original post by Yawn11

You're probably right, unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 758
Original post by ash92:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

My exact thought!!

But too late now...I'll probably have to wait another year to apply :rolleyes:
Original post by 2468
My exact thought!!

But too late now...I'll probably have to wait another year to apply :rolleyes:

So is it better to have a degree IBMS accredited? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending