The Student Room Group

Hunting:Your views?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
(Just to let you know I'm the OP)

That's nature, you survive and you struggle until something more advanced, better adapted or luckier comes and kills you.

You have a problem with the natural order of things?

Loads of species kill for fun, it's hardly limited to humans.

Why should the life of an animal be held in equal regard as the life of a human?

It's a Bow, not a gun.
And I have nothing but appreciation for nature.

Because to hunt them was an honor and a challenge, it was mentally and physically exhilarating and good fun on top!

What other species kill for fun? And how can you even say that? You can only make inferences from observing an animals behaviour, you've no idea whether their actions are for 'fun' or not.

It's not natural. You haven't evolved into a creature who has the ability to hunt that prey, you haven't even constructed the weapon.

Why shouldn't the life of an animal be held equally to the life of a human?
Why is hunting an animal an 'honour'?
Power

Ex-Military.

What, so you've served in the infantry facing people who can take you out? I should have specified but working in an infantry based role is what I was thinking.

Power? Seems a bizarre reason unless it's a bad wind up. Care to expand on that?
Original post by pandabird
What other species kill for fun? And how can you even say that? You can only make inferences from observing an animals behaviour, you've no idea whether their actions are for 'fun' or not.

Cats, Lions, Tigers, Dogs, Wolves, Ants, Otters, Dolphins all have been observed torturing other animals, for hours(sometimes not even killing them) Killing them, then discarding the corpse.(And thank's to todays techology we can measure the brain activity of joy/pleasure etc and confirm it)

It's not natural. You haven't evolved into a creature who has the ability to hunt that prey, you haven't even constructed the weapon.

Yes I have, I have evolved into a tool using mammal with a complex social heriarcy in which individuals members of the wider pack have certain roles and responsibilities, some members provide the tools for hunting, other members use them.

The fact that I CAN hunt it, shows I have evolved into a creature that has the ability to hunt it....your odd.

(I have also constructed Bows I have used in Hunting...though I will admit, none of them quite matched up to a Hoyt Olympic Compound ...woodcarving ftw)

Why shouldn't the life of an animal be held equally to the life of a human?

You just reversed my question, you didn't answer it.

Why is hunting an animal an 'honour'?

Because to challenge yourself and the animal in that manner is a tribute to there nature, there skill and your nature and skill and there death does no go un-respected or un-appreciated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NDGAARONDI
What, so you've served in the infantry facing people who can take you out? I should have specified but working in an infantry based role is what I was thinking.

Yes, Royal Military Police(Which as you know become nothing more than Glorified infantry in red-caps on tour) I served in Afghanistan in northern helmand in what was the busiest combat period of the entire Afghan war, I essentially was involved in six-months of non stop FoB combat.

Yes I killed.

Power? Seems a bizarre reason unless it's a bad wind up. Care to expand on that?

I have the power to do so, so I do.
(edited 10 years ago)
I have the power to do so, so I do.

So if I did that to human beings as I see as inferior, such as the mentally ill due to their reduced cognition or whatever, you will support that?
So if I did that to human beings as I see as inferior, such as the mentally ill due to their reduced cognition or whatever, you will support that?

On principle on the simplest level yes, however I wouldn't advise it as a species you will be aware we have developed complex social constructs and regulations to keep ourselves in check.
You would undoubtably face consequnece
(edited 10 years ago)
On principle on the simplest level yes, however I wouldn't advise it as a species you will be aware we have developed complex social constructs and regulations to keep ourselves in check.
You would undoubtably face consequnece

Not if I'm the next Hitler or Stalin.
Hunters need to be taken to Northern Australia and be locked up all day in a 10 acre cage with saltwater crocodiles. I would accept this as it is a fair game; either side has equal chances of being killed.

But hunting helpless animals is just cruel, like bullying someone who is weaker than you just because you can. If you want to hunt, hunt animals which could kill you as well.

Real men should be prepared to lay their lives down for this sport, not safely positioned behind the gun.
Reply 308
Personally, I find it disgusting. I think anyone who gets a thrill out of killing needs their head checked out! What gives us humans a right to kill animals? In this day and age we don't need to kill wild animals in order to eat. It's not at all brave seeing as these animals don't get a chance to fight back. To me it's bloodthirsty, barbaric and completely unnecessary in the 21st century.
Not if I'm the next Hitler or Stalin.

In which case you have power.
And all the best to you!
Original post by SmallDuck
Hunters need to be taken to Northern Australia and be locked up all day in a 10 acre cage with saltwater crocodiles. I would accept this as it is a fair game; either side has equal chances of being killed.

That would be immense.

However it's a mistake to think hunting is about "Fair sport"

But hunting helpless animals is just cruel

Why?
, like bullying someone who is weaker than you just because you can.

Which is wrong, why?

If you want to hunt, hunt animals which could kill you as well.

Ever been charged by an Oryx?
A black bear?

I almost died last time I wen't hunting in North Dakota, took three shafts (one fired while running away) before I downed it.
There is real danger in some game.

Real men should be prepared to lay their lives down for this sport, not safely positioned behind the gun.

Why is Hunting the reserve of "Real Men" alone?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fly96
Personally, I find it disgusting. I think anyone who gets a thrill out of killing needs their head checked out! What gives us humans a right to kill animals? In this day and age we don't need to kill wild animals in order to eat. It's not at all brave seeing as these animals don't get a chance to fight back. To me it's bloodthirsty, barbaric and completely unnecessary in the 21st century.

Take it your a Vegan?

But hunting helpless animals is just cruel, like bullying someone who is weaker than you just because you can. If you want to hunt, hunt animals which could kill you as well.

If you didn't want to reply to my previous reply to you that's fine.

Just a friendly reminder, that I was interested in furthering a discussion on the matter!

(Sorry if it seems like i'm pestering you)
If you didn't want to reply to my previous reply to you that's fine.

Just a friendly reminder, that I was interested in furthering a discussion on the matter!

(Sorry if it seems like i'm pestering you)

Ok, let's first talk about fairness. All sports have to be fair games, otherwise the winner has not really won. (Eg in football and the olympics, they take great measures to ensure that there is nothing but a fair game)

So hunting isn't really a sport, it is a cruel pass time activity, just like bullying a helpless 7 year old. The two activities are really quite similar.

Real men are supposed to show their strength and bravery, not their ability to pull a trigger in front of a helpless bunny or pidgeon.
Therefore: war soldier: respectable , hunter: not respectable.

Hunters have no respect for animal welfare: in fact, the reason that hunting is still legal is probs because all of the politicians are just rich upper class snobs. (UK that is)

You should also eat every last thing that you shoot, even if it tastes like ***. I'm not saying you don't, I am saying you should.

I stand by my crocodile argument, a real manly hunter should be prepared to make it as easy for a croc to rip his arm off as it is for him to pull the trigger and kill it. That way, people really will be impressed by the carcass in you log cabin.
Reply 314
You're probably a little sick if you find enjoyment in killing animals for fun.

I think hunting is a disgusting act, especially in the West where it is NOT a necessity in most places.
Ok, let's first talk about fairness. All sports have to be fair games, otherwise the winner has not really won. (Eg in football and the olympics, they take great measures to ensure that there is nothing but a fair game)

So hunting isn't really a sport, it is a cruel pass time activity, just like bullying a helpless 7 year old. The two activities are really quite similar.

Usually the "sport" aspect is competition between Humans.

One hunter and one animal doesn't make it a sport, your absolutely right it's a passtime/hobby/activity.

It's a sport when there are multiple humans involved competing against other humans.

Real men are supposed to show their strength and bravery, not their ability to pull a trigger in front of a helpless bunny or pidgeon.
Therefore: war soldier: respectable , hunter: not respectable.

Skill is also a common cultural indicator of manlyness, and I agree Rifle Hunting is far to easy, which is why I personally Bow Hunt, it means I have to get closer to the target(meaning I am more easily spotted) aiming is much more difficult meaning I must take more time with the shot to ensure a kill, and a Shaft is less explosive than a bullet or round meaning I must strike a kill spot to ensure the animal does not suffer excessively.

All these work towards skill.

As for Bravery, if you can face down a black bear charging you or an oryx, I would say that's brave, both are things Hunters face often.

However i'm ex-army so at least im still manly aye?
Hunters have no respect for animal welfare: in fact, the reason that hunting is still legal is probs because all of the politicians are just rich upper class snobs. (UK that is)

Nonsense the first thing that is drilled into every hunter, is how to kill an animal in the most efficient way possible to ensure it suffers the least also what you should and should not in regards to population and season. In addition any hunter worth his salt carries a knife to cut the throat if something goes wrong.

As for you arguing about "Cruelty" unless your a Vegetarian or a Vegan, you don't have a leg to stand on and I won't hear any arguments from you about treating animals well.

You should also eat every last thing that you shoot, even if it tastes like ***. I'm not saying you don't, I am saying you should.

Couldn't agree more.

I stand by my crocodile argument, a real manly hunter should be prepared to make it as easy for a croc to rip his arm off as it is for him to pull the trigger and kill it. That way, people really will be impressed by the carcass in you log cabin.

The rest of nature doesn't allow it's prey or it's playthings to be on equal footing, why should I?

Also why is "impressing" people are a factor?
It shouldn't be.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ggmu!
You're probably a little sick if you find enjoyment in killing animals for fun.

I think hunting is a disgusting act, especially in the West where it is NOT a necessity in most places.

Care to expand?

And I presume you are vegetarian yes?
Reply 317
Care to expand?

And I presume you are vegetarian yes?

I believe going to the habitat of certain animals with the intention to kill them and claim their dead body as some form of trophy is a little...sick. I'll take one thing back, it doesn't mean the person is sick. I have friends who have gone rabbit hunting and they are perfectly good members of society (by my standards at least) who have no desire to kill anything or anyone in everyday life. I find it sad everytime I crush the spider in the tissue when I'm trying to get it out of my room. I know that may sound a little pathetic, but that is sad to me.

It is a little disgusting, is it not? It not a completely unnecessary act? Food is available to most communities in the West in abundance, so the hunting of animals for food is a weak reason, in my opinion. People also say they eat the animal after which is without a doubt putting it to better use than leaving it, but still unnecessary. I also understand we do a lot of things that are unnecessary and probably more destructive than hunting. But something about it just feels wrong to me. I understand you may find real pleasure and enjoyment out of hunting and killing animals. That is simply your taste and I cannot criticise that, but maybe I could say that I think it's something you could avoid.

Yes, vegetarian since birth. No meat, fish or eggs (products). Was simply the way it was at first, Mum used to give me fish fingers but I started refusing that when I found out what it was. Stopped eggs, then products around 10-ish. But I feel quite unrestricted.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ggmu!
I believe going to the habitat of certain animals with the intention to kill them and claim their dead body as some form of trophy is a little...sick. I'll take one thing back, it doesn't mean the person is sick. I have friends who have gone rabbit hunting and they are perfectly good members of society (by my standards at least) who have no desire to kill anything or anyone in everyday life. I find it sad everytime I crush the spider in the tissue when I'm trying to get it out of my room. I know that may sound a little pathetic, but that is sad to me.

It is a little disgusting, is it not? It not a completely unnecessary act? Food is available to most communities in the West in abundance, so the hunting of animals for food is a weak reason, in my opinion. People also say they eat the animal after which is without a doubt putting it to better use than leaving it, but still unnecessary. I also understand we do a lot of things that are unnecessary and probably more destructive than hunting. But something about it just feels wrong to me. I understand you may find real pleasure and enjoyment out of hunting and killing animals. That is simply your taste and I cannot criticise that, but maybe I could say that I think it's something you could avoid.

Yes, vegetarian since birth. No meat, fish or eggs (products). Was simply the way it was at first, Mum used to give me fish fingers but I started refusing that when I found out what it was. Stopped eggs, then products around 10-ish. But I feel quite unrestricted.

Fair enough, if your argument is based on the emotional impact it has on you, I can't argue at all.

Crack on!
I recently read an artical detailing how Deer around the UK are destroying the natural environment due to mass over-population.
In the UK today they have no natural predator and through strip grazing are seriously threatening hundreds of other species and the stability of some eco-systems as a whole.

Despite attempts at culling, it is estimated that we need to cull another 18'000 yearly (on top of current amounts)to bring Deer back down to a manageable amount where they are no longer threatening our countryside and our wildlife.

What incentives or programs do you think we should be enforcing to help achieve this hefty culling target?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending