The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2280
Original post by awe
Just in case anyone wants to see and hasn't yet, there is an interesting and possibly eye-opening thread about the stresses of teacher training here. I find it fascinating, and there is some good information within the discussions, including a link to this blog which I am now enjoying scanning. ^^

If I can read through that and still want to go into teaching, I think I've probably chosen the right career path XD (Or there is always the option that I'm incredibly deluded).
Can referees still add their references to UCAS even though it's down right now?
Reply 2282
Original post by dancing_shoes92
Can referees still add their references to UCAS even though it's down right now?

...read that question back to yourself, and you'll realise the answer is pretty obvious :colondollar:
Original post by Deja Vu
...read that question back to yourself, and you'll realise the answer is pretty obvious :colondollar:

:colondollar: I didn't know if it was track or UCAS as I'm not sure that the two are entirely the same thing, but I don't know :tongue: But yeah I just wanted to make sure :biggrin:
Anyone had interviews for citizenship??

Particularly from the IOE. Ahhhhh why can't the IOE just give me an interview!
Reply 2285
Hi everyone, I just received an email from UCAS saying that the similarity detection service has identified passaged of text of my personal statement that has been copied. I am panicking so much because track is not working till Monday and so is the phone lines. I have previously sent in this Personal statement but not through UCAS, through UKPASS as I applied for Postgrad in Further Education. I did however reject that offer and decided to do a PGCE in English. I dont know what to do, I cant stop crying because I cannot afford to not get a place this year. Three years of uni and never been accused of this before. Ive got a glowing reference from both my referee, school experience and a good university degree classification but this accusation can ruin it all for me. HELP!!! do you think it may be because of my previous application through UKPASS, has anyone else ever been through this?
Reply 2286
Hey guys, anyone applying to York or Oxford? Also for those still waiting on references:I was waiting for what seemed like ages and it turns out the emails from UCAS all ended up in my referees spam folder or were filtered out by the uni email system itself......I had to change my tutors details so that the reminder can get send to a different email.....
Reply 2287
I've just spoken to my second referee and yes, they cannot use the site either.....
Original post by Nicola_1990
To Thomas Estley School Direct in Leicester and Chester Uni..you??

Nottingham Trent and Derby. I live in Nottingham so those are actually more convenient for me! Lol.
Original post by alabelle
Oh god, just read through this, and it's horrifying.

I don't actually find it horrifying at all. We all know that teaching is going to be tough but at the same time I think/hope it will be totally worth it. I read that and am not put off one bit. I work extremely long hours now in a particularly difficult job so am no stranger to a challenge, and I have a passion for education and working with young people. I think the thread serves as a warning to not take teaching lightly or as an easy option. Yes, the stats are worrying, but we have to be prepared for what the PGCE actually entails. I guess only time will tell if we are! I think we need to be 'realistically optimistic'. Haha. :smile:
Reply 2290
Original post by Esmeralda4
I don't actually find it horrifying at all. We all know that teaching is going to be tough but at the same time I think/hope it will be totally worth it. I read that and am not put off one bit. I work extremely long hours now in a particularly difficult job so am no stranger to a challenge, and I have a passion for education and working with young people. I think the thread serves as a warning to not take teaching lightly or as an easy option. Yes, the stats are worrying, but we have to be prepared for what the PGCE actually entails. I guess only time will tell if we are! I think we need to be 'realistically optimistic'. Haha. :smile:

I definitely agree. You should go in to it with your eyes open but many people do. And you should also keep your principles and your hope of helping pupils. Like you I read threads on here before but I always knew teaching was going to be hard anyway, because I didn't go in to the career blind. I think uni interviews filter out most people who haven't considered the work load properly or who are going in to the profession for money or because they're stuck for what else to do. And then the stress of the course will cause most of those who do get through to drop out anyway. But if you are actually really passionate about teaching and have made the effort to find out what it's really about then I don't think the threads should worry you at all.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Preparing for my interview tomorrow! nerves kicking in but I feel so ready to start a PGCE next september! just reading up on some educational issues and policies now :smile:
Original post by pthomas112
Preparing for my interview tomorrow! nerves kicking in but I feel so ready to start a PGCE next september! just reading up on some educational issues and policies now :-)

Good luck!!
Good luck!!

thanks, im up at 4am to get the coach! trian was 90 pounds and the coach was only 15!
Reply 2294
Hey guys just wondering what people are wearing to interview?! I'm thinking smart skirt, small heels, smart top with cardigan? last year I wore a suit and no-one else did!

I don't find the idea of the hard work horrifying (I know that's a huge part of the PGCE, and I wouldn't be applying if it put me off). But what really worried me is the fact that some of the teachers seemed miserable and they didn't seem to have an passion for the job left. If that didn't make you think twice I'm surprised. A PGCE is a big commitment and it's important to consider the downsides too. For me, that thread made me think 'why do I want to teach' and 'is that reason worth all of the stress'. For me, the answer was yes. But I'd me lying if I didn't say that thread was food for thought.
im wearing smart trousers, a shirt, a tie and a black pullover jumper
Hi, I was just wondering if anybody knew whether there was a specific date that applications had to be submitted by for apply 1? I am currently waiting for my second referee to submit a reference, but due to the UCAS website being down this weekend it hasn't been completed. Thank you :smile:
Original post by pthomas112
Preparing for my interview tomorrow! nerves kicking in but I feel so ready to start a PGCE next september! just reading up on some educational issues and policies now :smile:

What are you going to speak about for current issues? I am swotting for an interview on Thurs! Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Original post by alabelle
I don't find the idea of the hard work horrifying (I know that's a huge part of the PGCE, and I wouldn't be applying if it put me off). But what really worried me is the fact that some of the teachers seemed miserable and they didn't seem to have an passion for the job left. If that didn't make you think twice I'm surprised. A PGCE is a big commitment and it's important to consider the downsides too. For me, that thread made me think 'why do I want to teach' and 'is that reason worth all of the stress'. For me, the answer was yes. But I'd me lying if I didn't say that thread was food for thought.

I thought you were talking about the drop out rate, my bad. I do agree with you about the existing teachers, it seems sad. Like you, it makes me think about why I want to teach and, as I said, I think it would be worth it. If I get on a course, I'll see for sure. Haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending