The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
everyone is comparing results and saying that interview selection is 'random' because people who have worse a levels are getting interviews...have you guys thought that perhaps a good personal statement matters more? someone who is predicted A*A*A*A* may have a rubbish ps, just sayin :tongue:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 1041
Original post by lixto
everyone is comparing results and saying that interview selection is 'random' because people who have worse a levels are getting interviews...have you guys thought that perhaps a good personal statement matters more? someone who is predicted A*A*A*A* may have a rubbish ps, just sayin :tongue:

This may be the case, but some people have received interviews with weaker UKCATs and gcses (which, from what I understand, form a major part in the kcl selection process) than others without interviews, and I think this is one of the main reasons for the speculation and worry going on, and why people are trying to think of other things that kcl are considering. You may be right of course, but I think it's pretty difficult to compare, as we simply don't know the ins and outs of everyone's application, and also there doesn't seem to be definitive consistency into what kcl are using. Like I said though, all we are doing is guessing, it may just be better to relax and hope we hear something in the near future :smile:
Reply 1042
Original post by BAZ1NGA
This may be the case, but some people have received interviews with weaker UKCATs and gcses (which, from what I understand, form a major part in the kcl selection process) than others without interviews, and I think this is one of the main reasons for the speculation and worry going on, and why people are trying to think of other things that kcl are considering. You may be right of course, but I think it's pretty difficult to compare, as we simply don't know the ins and outs of everyone's application, and also there doesn't seem to be definitive consistency into what kcl are using. Like I said though, all we are doing is guessing, it may just be better to relax and hope we hear something in the near future :smile:

fair one, everyone just chillax and start interview prep early even if you havent got any interviews yet! ive got my kcl one this thursday and im so stressed :s-smilie:
Reply 1043
Original post by lixto
fair one, everyone just chillax and start interview prep early even if you havent got any interviews yet! ive got my kcl one this thursday and im so stressed :s-smilie:

Oh fair does, I thought you were in our position :wink:. Good luck for thursday :smile:
Original post by AnJuM218
King's do a traditional interview so that means there may be two people on the panel. Sometimes they could be very nice people, other times they may be a bit more stern and critical of your personal statement or answers. It just depends on who you get really.

I all I'll say is that prepare for your interviews in a way where you are able to deal with harsh criticism. Get someone, like a friend, who is willing to rip your answers to pieces to interview you. Even if you end up getting the nicest people interviewing you it is still good that you prepared for the worst.

that is great advice, thank you! have you got an interview soon?
Original post by Chihuahua_95
that is great advice, thank you! have you got an interview soon?

Already had mine. I had it on 26th November. Should be finding out if I was successful or not a few weeks hopefully.
The fact that you have 11A*s, a ukcat of 800 and a prediction of A*A*A*A* really does not mean you 'deserve' an interview, people. This speculation with people saying they might be starting with lower ukcat and blabla is really annoying and its obviously not true. From this forum you can already see there is no trend as people with high and low ukcat scores and high and low gcses have been given interviews. I haven't gotten an interview yet, just btw, and if I don't I'll know that it was merely because there were applicants that king's considered to be stronger than me, despite my - I must say myself - competitive application. There is no point in speculating why you haven't received an interview offer instead focus on achieving your grades/ improving yourself, so when you (possibly) get the interview/offer, you are prepared. I know you are all getting nervous due to the lengthy process of medical applications (so am I) but relax people. Large majority of the interviews are still to take place. Patience.
(edited 10 years ago)
Already had mine. I had it on 26th November. Should be finding out if I was successful or not a few weeks hopefully.

wow thats early! good luck I hope it went well :smile: I have mine on friday I'm so nervous.. :s
This whole thing about working out why some people who have lower stats are getting interviews while higher ranking people aren't is kinda stupid. At the end of the day it may be that King's aren't looking for the most knowledgeable person but who they know who has the ability to learn all that is required while being able to apply it properly. What's the point in being the most knowledgeable person when you're not able to apply it properly. Once people meet the criteria it could just be down to the personal statement of the person as this is the only way for them to see that you more than a walking encyclopedia of information. It may be that they want to see someone with a true caring nature and that the personal statement is the only way for them to gauge at this. I've seen people say they have a perfect personal statement but by what standard has it been compared to for it to be considered perfect. Have you put down the best reason for doing medicine? Have you talked about shadowing all types of doctors? Have you shown that you are a person who knows the ins and outs of the medical world? You may have been able to show that all your experiences have prepared you for a profession as a doctor but if it does not show a caring side than it's worthless.

I'm not trying to take a stab at those who have higher stats and say that they are not caring but please consider that they aren't just looking for high stats, they're looking for an all rounder.

Anyway, I hope most of you guys get interviews because a lot of you seem like really cool guys.
wow thats early! good luck I hope it went well :smile: I have mine on friday I'm so nervous.. :s

Don't be nervous, it should be fine. Make sure to get a few mock interviews beforehand. You know I might even see you because I'm usually in uni on fridays (3rd year biomed by the way).

That just made me realise I might end up walking past a lot of you when you're going to your interviews and not realise that you are some of the guys I've been talking to online.

I'm gonna make sure that if I realise that the person walking past me is an interviewee and looks nervous I'll say that they should calm down and that it'll be alright. Then again they might think I'm a creep and get even more nervous lol.
Don't be nervous, it should be fine. Make sure to get a few mock interviews beforehand. You know I might even see you because I'm usually in uni on fridays (3rd year biomed by the way).

That just made me realise I might end up walking past a lot of you when you're going to your interviews and not realise that you are some of the guys I've been talking to online.

I'm gonna make sure that if I realise that the person walking past me is an interviewee and looks nervous I'll say that they should calm down and that it'll be alright. Then again they might think I'm a creep and get even more nervous lol.

LOL that is a weird thought.. :smile: so you're already at kings? thats great do you like it there then? tbh if some random stranger told me to calm down, i'd probably feel calmer but slightly confused :smile: please do that!
LOL that is a weird thought.. :smile: so you're already at kings? thats great do you like it there then? tbh if some random stranger told me to calm down, i'd probably feel calmer but slightly confused :smile: please do that!

Yeah King's is great. Seriously even though I wanna do medicine really badly if I wasn't able to stay at king's for another 5 years and go to another medical uni I'll feel kinda depressed really. It's like moving homes but instead you're moving from one of the greatest cities in the world in my case...unless I get into barts.

I'm might seriously do it though just to make the person feel confused, might make them forget the initial stress they had.

One thing I'll say is that once you're interview is over go do something fun. You're in London, there's so many fun places to go, and you got the weekend just starting the next day. It'll help stop you from reliving the interview, trying to work out how it would've gone better, although I think you'll do fine.

The first thing I did was buy the new Call of duty, first time buying one for 4 years. I wanted to re-live the feelings I had back in sixth form when I was a call of duty fanatic and had some sort of expectation that I was gonna get into med in the first. All I'll say is that I had a crap taste for games back then.
(edited 10 years ago)
When does King's send interviews for January? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone who has done the interview is it an essay or questionnaire this year? Thank you very muchly:biggrin:
Reply 1054
Original post by maryamnc
Anyone who has done the interview is it an essay or questionnaire this year? Thank you very muchly:biggrin:

The letter thing I got with my interview says its going to be an essay....

Stressing big time now - interview on Tuesday....argh!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hks123
The letter thing I got with my interview says its going to be an essay....

Stressing big time now - interview on Tuesday....argh!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, it should be fine. The essay will most likely be something to do with you as it is only used when the interview was not good enough. Just make sure that they can read it though lol.

If you think about it though, isn't writing an essay less stressful than doing an actual interview as when you are writing an essay it's just you, a piece of paper and a pen, nothing else. No one judging you while writing it.

Just get yourself relaxed before the interview, maybe get a hot drink. There's a starbucks just outside the London Bridge station, towards kings. It's opposite the McDonald's.
Does anyone else have an interview on Thursday? Mine's at 11, it'd be nice to see anyone whose there! haha
Reply 1057
Don't worry, it should be fine. The essay will most likely be something to do with you as it is only used when the interview was not good enough. Just make sure that they can read it though lol.

If you think about it though, isn't writing an essay less stressful than doing an actual interview as when you are writing an essay it's just you, a piece of paper and a pen, nothing else. No one judging you while writing it.

Just get yourself relaxed before the interview, maybe get a hot drink. There's a starbucks just outside the London Bridge station, towards kings. It's opposite the McDonald's.

If you do this make sure you go to the toilet before the interview :wink:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1058

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 9967

Posted from TSR Mobile

Funnily enough when I got to my interview I realised I had to go to the toilet for a pee but the toilets near the admissions office were locked. Had to run to the other side of the building.

Running around calmed me down though, or that could of just been because I was able to go to the toilet.

One thing though, the taps are kinda crazy, took me awhile to realise how they worked...ended up getting water on my suit. Thank god for waterproof trousers.

Quick Reply

Latest