The Student Room Group

If one revised purely from CGP revision guides (no textbooks or class notes).

Scroll to see replies

They key is this..... CGP books + past papers = a*

It's worked for me, so it could work for anyone ! :wink:
You can for GCSE, maybe not A-Level, but you have to do some practice questions too.

Practising questions or past papers + CGP revision books only = A/A* for GCSE on any knowledge subjects like Science, Maths, Geography and partially for History. Stuff like English will help you but not completely.
Reply 22
At GCSE, all I used were past papers and revision guides. Had one revision guide per subject and it worked for me.

Spoiler

I used CGP guides to revise for my Science, Maths and Food Tech GCSEs, got A*s in all 5 so yeah they work! As long as you use them effectively, read through every section carefully, do the practise questions at the end of each bit and do past papers.

Also have the CGP guide for A2 Physics. Had a unit test last friday, my only revision was reading the Nuclear Physics section before I went to bed thursday night. Got the test back on monday, 82% :smile: So they definitely can get you A's and A*s
Reply 24
Original post by Jatz07
How many hrs per day did you revise to achieve excellent results?

Which subjects did you get A* in, and which subjects did you get A in?

Thanks in advance

Jatz

To be fair, I did revise quite a bit. Probably around 5 hours per day during Easter, whereas most of my friends did none! I got A*s in: Maths, English literature, biology, chemistry, physics, RE, geography, history and A's in economics, german and english language.
Reply 25
Original post by Jatz07
wow, a* in english literature!... like seriously, what revision material did you use for Literature? How exactly did you revise for literature?

sorry for the questions, just quite curious...

Jatz

Erm, it was a couple of years ago, so I can't remember exactly... but I used the CGP anthology revision guide which had LOADS of useful stuff for the poems, and also the book in our exam was Of Mice and Men, and CGP have a book on that too.
Wow, from what I gather, these CGP books seem great! Only thing is, does anyone know if they cover WJEC? I would buy them but if my syllabus isn't covered then there's no point really :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by 3mma_gal96
Wow, from what I gather, these CGP books seem great! Only thing is, does anyone know if they cover WJEC? I would buy them but if my syllabus isn't covered then there's no point really :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I did WJEC geography and CGP had one for that. Just a word of warning, while CGP revision guides are good for GCSE, they are not something to base your revision on at A Level. Our teachers have always said during year 12 and also now during year 13 that just knowing everything in the CGP's will get you a C/D grade at A level.
a C?
Original post by ninuzu
Yes, I did WJEC geography and CGP had one for that. Just a word of warning, while CGP revision guides are good for GCSE, they are not something to base your revision on at A Level. Our teachers have always said during year 12 and also now during year 13 that just knowing everything in the CGP's will get you a C/D grade at A level.

Ok, thanks. Well I've got the WJEC science revision guide and have done some past papers, so as I'm only in year 11, I'm hoping all that will be ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Ok, thanks. Well I've got the WJEC science revision guide and have done some past papers, so as I'm only in year 11, I'm hoping all that will be ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by "as I'm only in year 11"?
Original post by tohaaaa
What do you mean by "as I'm only in year 11"?

Because some people have just been saying they're not as effective for people doing their A-levels, but I don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Because some people have just been saying they're not as effective for people doing their A-levels, but I don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, fair enough :smile:
Reply 33
My teachers don't seem to really care except for my Chemistry teacher - the only one that holds revision sessions and gives me extra help and tips.. So i have to rely on the CGP books. For core science my teachers were ALL terrible, and I was struggling, but reading the book through 3 or 4 times was definitely the reason I got full marks on the foundation paper (I wasn't allowed to sit higher and couldn't resit the exam higher, another reason my teachers were terrible) and reading the guides is helping me now in additional science - relying on just those I got an A* in my mock last week.
This is what I did for A Level Physics. Got an A overall. I made a lot of silly errors too.
i revise purely from textbooks and in my mocks achieved 4 a* and 7 as however, i also did past papers which i think helping A LOT!xxx
I got 12A*s with an average of >98% across them all. CGP was the only brand of revision guide I used (apart from History).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tohaaaa
If one revised purely from CGP revision guides (no textbooks or class notes), what is the maximum grade one could achieve?

(I'm NOT doing this, just a curious question).

They are surprisingly effective to revise from actually, a combination of CGP, going to your teacher if you don't understand something and doing practice papers, while in the process perfecting exam technique you could easily get 90-100% :smile:
I would say A* but not definitely 100%. There are some things missing from the CGP Science Revision Guides for some reason that are mentioned on the mark schemes.
Reply 39
i'm revising purely from my revision guide (it's aqa igcse though) and it has everything we do. I did that for my last end of topic test and got 96%, so you'd achieve an a* if you learnt it properly

Quick Reply

Latest