The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Engineering Design Applicants 2014

Hi,

Just wondering if I could find any other wonderful Engineering Design applicants out there.

I've got an interview on the 11th of December, not totally sure what to expect, apart from for it to be pretty tough!

Scroll to see replies

hey, I'm wonderful and also applied for this :smile: Interview on 27th November at 8.45am which means i'm going to have to get up at around 5 am that day... >< And same, I don't know if it will be mostly leadership/team work sort of stuff or more academic questions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Hello! Going for interview 27th November at 9:30, I'm flying down from Newcastle in the morning so early start for me too :frown: Any current/past EngDes students able to share some tips about the interview day?
^^ Ditto on last request please.

Did anyone submit any interesting work to them when asked? Handing in late (r) application - so hoping for something after New Year
Reply 4
Original post by tyoulea
^^ Ditto on last request please.

Did anyone submit any interesting work to them when asked? Handing in late (r) application - so hoping for something after New Year

I was pretty lucky that I did English AS so I submitted something from that, kind of wish it'd asked for more design/engineering-based stuff though
well that was quite a fun day.
Reply 6
Original post by TheBeesKnees
well that was quite a fun day.

How did it go?
Original post by bewster
How did it go?

Okayish. It was quite an intense day with an hour interview followed by hour test than afterwards there was also a group interview. Sort of fun in a weird way though.
How was the test? I am only guessing it's level by revising the PAT.
Original post by tyoulea
How was the test? I am only guessing it's level by revising the PAT.

it's not really anything like the PAT tbh. There is a verbal reasoning question to begin with and then some "guestimate" type questions.
it's not really anything like the PAT tbh. There is a verbal reasoning question to begin with and then some "guestimate" type questions.

Sounds reasonable - and the interview was not engineering specific or more a review of management stuff? Course seems like a good one.
Original post by tyoulea
Sounds reasonable - and the interview was not engineering specific or more a review of management stuff? Course seems like a good one.

I would say about 25% of it was talking about my extra curriculars that I wrote on that extra application form and the rest focused on engineering stuff so yeah, just make sue that you are confident in talking about different physical principles. And yeah, it looks good, despite being 5 years longgggg.
I would say about 25% of it was talking about my extra curriculars that I wrote on that extra application form and the rest focused on engineering stuff so yeah, just make sue that you are confident in talking about different physical principles. And yeah, it looks good, despite being 5 years longgggg.

Doesn't sound too stretching - more of a broad exercise I guess. What does the group challenge entail?
Reply 13
We were sorted into groups of 4 and had to build a 50cm structure from spaghetti and marshmallows that would support a Kinder egg (very food-based exercise!). But yeah they seemed to be assessing our teamwork and communication skills, rather than our knowledge of starch-based construction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got a offer for this - wahhoo. A*AA or AABB which seems like a huge range of grades but I'm not complaining!
Reply 15
Got a offer for this - wahhoo. A*AA or AABB which seems like a huge range of grades but I'm not complaining!

Well done! Do you think you will accept? Looks like I'm gonna be waiting a couple of weeks then since mine was this Wednesday.
Original post by bewster
Well done! Do you think you will accept? Looks like I'm gonna be waiting a couple of weeks then since mine was this Wednesday.

Thanks. And I'm not sure. Obviously its a very reputable course but the thought of 5 years at uni is really putting me off.
Reply 17
Congrats! My offer came through on Wednesday but no 4th a level so just A*AA to get. About the length of the course- I'd suggest thinking of it as two 2 year courses with a year working in the middle :smile:
Reply 18
I wouldn't worry about the 5 years business. i've just started (1st year) and it's flying by. None of the 4th/5th years i speak to have any regrets regarding the length of the course. From what I can gather the year in industry breaks it up nicely. It's a great course and Bristol is an amazing city!
Reply 19
Original post by 511458
I wouldn't worry about the 5 years business. i've just started (1st year) and it's flying by. None of the 4th/5th years i speak to have any regrets regarding the length of the course. From what I can gather the year in industry breaks it up nicely. It's a great course and Bristol is an amazing city!

Out of interest, what other courses did you consider and why did you end up choosing Eng Des? Currently at the stage where I need to start deciding on Firm and Insurance and it's proving tough!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending