The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usycool1
Finished my maths homework at last :party2: Took me a good 2 weeks... :erm:

Wowzah two weeks? was this a project? either way well done! :biggrin:

I've hit a brick wall and don't understand work, energy and power...

Can anyone help?
Original post by Tee Logan x
Wowzah two weeks? was this a project? either way well done! :biggrin:

Nope, it was just a homework! :biggrin: But thanks! :smile:

Original post by L'Evil Fish

Can anyone help?

Post a question? :teeth:

Can anyone help?

What about them? I'll see if I can remember, I'm retaking that exam so I should be able to :tongue:
:frown: so sad.

Fast and Furious.

It's horrible, I wonder how they salvaged his body..

He was going to a charity event too :redface: that or a test drive or something with his friend.

But it's fast and furious guy :sad:

You seen his cut face on tiwtter? :s-smilie: Its terrible. Sad to see him go.

Congrats
Nope, it was just a homework! :biggrin: But thanks! :smile:

Post a question? :teeth:

Original post by furryface12
What about them? I'll see if I can remember, I'm retaking that exam so I should be able to :tongue:

Like work done against resistive forces..

Does that include gravity?
If it's given is it just resistive force multiplied by distance for work done

If I know a force constant in a spring and it's extension. How do I find the max height a ball sprung off it can reach if I know the mass?
Original post by Blueray2
You seen his cut face on tiwtter? :s-smilie: Its terrible. Sad to see him go.

Yeah :frown:
Lost ITV along with half the country :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by g.k.galloway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah we did too. Works on their HD channel though, try that if you have it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I know a force constant in a spring and it's extension. How do I find the max height a ball sprung off it can reach if I know the mass?

I can't remember, sorry :colondollar: I think the spring stuff may be the reason I failed the unit first time round actually :erm:

(Well I didn't actually fail it, but it was enough to bring me down a grade overall :frown:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The work done against gravity is equal to the change in GPE.

It's resistive force multiplied by the displacement moved in the direction of the resistive force.

Ignoring losses, the kinetic energy transferred to the ball is equal to the elastic potential energy stored in the string due to its extension.
Original post by furryface12
I can't remember, sorry :colondollar: I think the spring stuff may be the reason I failed the unit first time round actually :erm:

(Well I didn't actually fail it, but it was enough to bring me down a grade overall :frown:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries :biggrin:
Original post by Felix Felicis
The work done against gravity is equal to the change in GPE.

It's resistive force multiplied by the displacement moved in the direction of the resistive force.

Ignoring losses, the kinetic energy transferred to the ball is equal to the elastic potential energy stored in the string due to its extension.

Thank you!

Yeah it just seems for two marks I must be doing something wrong. It says average resistive force is 250N and the vertical drop is 550m. So I just multiplied for work done against resistive force.

Strain energy = work done

1/2 kx^2
= E_s

E_s = 1/2 m v^2

So we find v, does that give us the initial velocity? And then would we suvat with final speed = 0?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7912
First summative report mark is meant to be back today the waiting for the email to notify of collection is horrible :afraid:
Original post by Lucy96
Yay :biggrin: which uni? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Liverpool. I've now got 4 offers and am waiting on the 5th (Surrey) to make a decision.
Original post by Paparazzo
Liverpool. I've now got 4 offers and am waiting on the 5th (Surrey) to make a decision.

Yay :biggrin: ooh great! I'm patiently waiting for my last two :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did/does anyone have a job while doing a levels? and does it effect grades because i have a part time job and kinda feel it may start getting in the way. should i leave?
Original post by Millerman
Did/does anyone have a job while doing a levels? and does it effect grades because i have a part time job and kinda feel it may start getting in the way. should i leave?

I've got a part time job and I don't think its affecting me much as I only work 1 day a week (sunday). When it gets closer to exams ill just ask for study leave :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway

Posted from TSR Mobile

What how?
Original post by Millerman

Where do you guys work? I mean would they just let you go on study leave? :biggrin:
Original post by ItsJustMe17
I've got a part time job and I don't think its affecting me much as I only work 1 day a week (sunday). When it gets closer to exams ill just ask for study leave :smile:
Original post by Blueray2
What how?

Where do you guys work? I mean would they just let you go on study leave? :biggrin:
Haha yeah I work at clarks, if I give them notice they'll give me the week I need off :smile:
It's lovely walking home with all the christmas lights on everywhere :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest