The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Jamie77
Haha! What subjects are you studying? And are you gonna do any pre university prepping such as looking up at a level maths before you go? Just pretty much everywhere I've looked at online says you are hugely disadvantaged by not doing it apparently :frown:

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I might look over some A level maths stuff online or something before but most unis run courses to help everyone get to the same level! I just regret not picking maths a level! What subjects do you do? :smile:
Reply 781
Original post by Bobby2
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I might look over some A level maths stuff online or something before but most unis run courses to help everyone get to the same level! I just regret not picking maths a level! What subjects do you do? :smile:

Im actually in year 12 at the moment, but thinking of doing chemistry, and I'm doing Biology Chemistry Economics and Business <----( don't get me started). I actually was thinking of doing chemistry beforehand, and as the universities I looked at didn't require maths I thought there wouldn't be much difficult maths in the degree and so I did an comparatively easy subject (business) just so I could focus on my main three. Now I'm finding business boring, have realised there a fair bit of maths in the degree and now can't change :wink: (well if I did I would mess everything else up loool). Did you just not realise beforehand? :smile:
Original post by Gotzz
I was thinking of doing the same thing :smile:
But I was told that you should still have a go even if you haven't covered it :s-smilie:

I've heard that happen many times too, which is why I think, if I have enough time, I'll go over some basic concepts in unit 1.
Reply 783
Original post by theCreator
I've heard that happen many times too, which is why I think, if I have enough time, I'll go over some basic concepts in unit 1.

Me too. But I doubt I'll have time :frown:
Reply 784
Original post by Jamie77
Im actually in year 12 at the moment, but thinking of doing chemistry, and I'm doing Biology Chemistry Economics and Business <----( don't get me started). I actually was thinking of doing chemistry beforehand, and as the universities I looked at didn't require maths I thought there wouldn't be much difficult maths in the degree and so I did an comparatively easy subject (business) just so I could focus on my main three. Now I'm finding business boring, have realised there a fair bit of maths in the degree and now can't change :wink: (well if I did I would mess everything else up loool). Did you just not realise beforehand? :smile:

Well at least you can drop Business at the end of year 12! Initially I didn't think of doing a chemistry degree and only decided in August so obviously I had already done my AS, but hopefully with enough work at uni, I can bring my maths up to scratch!
Reply 785
Original post by Bobby2
Well at least you can drop Business at the end of year 12! Initially I didn't think of doing a chemistry degree and only decided in August so obviously I had already done my AS, but hopefully with enough work at uni, I can bring my maths up to scratch!

Ahhh I see! What was your AS haha? And were you originally doing planning to medicine(psychology makes me think this loool)
Original post by Jamie77
Haha! What subjects are you studying? And are you gonna do any pre university prepping such as looking up at a level maths before you go? Just pretty much everywhere I've looked at online says you are hugely disadvantaged by not doing it apparently :frown:

Original post by Bobby2

Guys, you'll be fine not doing A level maths/ physics.
Most universities run remedial maths, physics and sometimes biology modules in the first year. I only had enough credits to take remedial maths, but not the physics one despite doing neither at A level. I actually prefer phys chem to everything else...
Original post by Samm10
Any tips for interviews so that I don't end up sitting there like an absolute mong during it?

if you're being interviewed after jan, for the love of god, look over unit 4. Going over AS helps you not make a **** of yourself when you do shapes of molecules/ VSEPR theory in your interview.

THIS HAPPENED. How/Why UCL gave me an offer, by the grace of god I will never know.
Reply 788
Original post by Jamie77
Ahhh I see! What was your AS haha? And were you originally doing planning to medicine(psychology makes me think this loool)

I was actually thinking dentistry at first and I got ABBB at AS :smile:
Reply 789
Original post by .snowflake.
Most universities run remedial maths, physics and sometimes biology modules in the first year. I only had enough credits to take remedial maths, but not the physics one despite doing neither at A level. I actually prefer phys chem to everything else...[/

Ohh thanks for letting us know! What uni are you at? :smile:
Reply 790
Original post by Bobby2
I was actually thinking dentistry at first and I got ABBB at AS :smile:

Ahhh nice! What was the subject you dropped? :biggrin:
Reply 791
Original post by Jamie77
Ahhh nice! What was the subject you dropped? :biggrin:

I dropped History!
Reply 792
if you're being interviewed after jan, for the love of god, look over unit 4. Going over AS helps you not make a **** of yourself when you do shapes of molecules/ VSEPR theory in your interview.

THIS HAPPENED. How/Why UCL gave me an offer, by the grace of god I will never know.

Ah i'll keep that mind, even though I ****ing despise shapes of molecules :mad:
[QUOTE="Bobby2;45382165"]
Most universities run remedial maths, physics and sometimes biology modules in the first year. I only had enough credits to take remedial maths, but not the physics one despite doing neither at A level. I actually prefer phys chem to everything else...[/

Ohh thanks for letting us know! What uni are you at? :smile:

Second year, Sheffield Uni.
and desparate for xmas...
Reply 794
[QUOTE=".snowflake.;45382756"]
Original post by Bobby2

Ooo, do you think you could tell me a little about the course and stuff?
I have an offer from Sheffield :smile:
Reply 795
Original post by Bobby2
I dropped History!

History is a tough one :biggrin: and I think snowflake is at UCL because of his reply to the other guy who wanted help with the interview :smile:

Edit:I jumped to conclusions, getting an offer from UCL doesn't mean you went for it haha :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)
[QUOTE="Gotzz;45382780"]

Ooo, do you think you could tell me a little about the course and stuff?
I have an offer from Sheffield :smile:

I can tell you loads about the course. Have you been interviewed yet?

Original post by Jamie77
History is a tough one :biggrin: and I think snowflake is at UCL because of his reply to the other guy who wanted help with the interview :smile:

Edit:I jumped to conclusions, getting an offer from UCL doesn't mean you went for it haha :smile:.

* her. Despite loving phys chem, I am female.
I actually told UCL where they could get off when they (finally) gave me an offer. Well, if the academics thought it appropriate to give me **** over where I'm from before I've even opened my mouth, what's to say my year group wouldn't behave the same way.

Admittedly I get some banter from the southerners in my year here at Sheffield, but it is just that, banter. And the lads I get it from I am very close to.
Reply 797
[QUOTE=".snowflake.;45382756"]
Original post by Bobby2

Ohh I have applied to sheffield, haven't heard anything yet though!
What are the exams like in the first year there? Are they a lot more difficult than a level?
Reply 798

I can tell you loads about the course. Have you been interviewed yet?

* her. Despite loving phys chem, I am female.
I actually told UCL where they could get off when they (finally) gave me an offer. Well, if the academics thought it appropriate to give me **** over where I'm from before I've even opened my mouth, what's to say my year group wouldn't behave the same way.

Admittedly I get some banter from the southerners in my year here at Sheffield, but it is just that, banter. And the lads I get it from I am very close to.

No, and I won't be. So I haven't yet visited.
I'm not sure if I have any specific questions, but perhaps you could tell me what made you choose it? And what the chemistry department is like: the labs, equipment, lecturers, etc. I really appreciate it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bobby2

Ohh I have applied to sheffield, haven't heard anything yet though!
What are the exams like in the first year there? Are they a lot more difficult than a level?

You'll be interviewed after January exams, I think.
Some topics I really struggled with and technically failed. (Organic chem 1, I am looking at you...) Others I did stupidly well in, i.e thermodynamics (I don't have A level maths or physics, shouldn't have wiped the floor with my tutorial group. The look on my tutors face was worth it though)
They're.. nicer than A level, especially in first semester. And you have the advantage of if you're sat in the library/ in the computer room in the department, second/third years will look over your shoulder and go 'God, I miss when chemistry made sense' or 'So you still have Dr. So and So for thermodynamics then?' and then give you all of the hints and tips and book recommendations they can to help you. You're not graded on a bell curve, like you are at A level. So if you get 75% of the marks, you get 75 as your overall grade. At A level, you could get 75/100, but get scaled up to say 80 UMS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending