The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gotzz
No, and I won't be. So I haven't yet visited.
I'm not sure if I have any specific questions, but perhaps you could tell me what made you choose it? And what the chemistry department is like: the labs, equipment, lecturers, etc. I really appreciate it :smile:

As mad as this sounds, as soon as I got off the tram and got onto campus.. it felt like home? It was a toss up between York and Sheffield for my firm, Sheffield had the nicer accommodation and it was significantly cheaper as well.

Labs:
- damn hard work, but so fun.
~ 40 of you in each lab group, in first year you spend 6 weeks in each lab (organic, inorganic, physical) in 2 blocks of 3 weeks.
- it's not rare to find a conical flask that says 'West Germany' on it. I don't have a problem with that on it's own. I have more of a problem that all the markings have gone, so I have no idea of the volume of said flask!
- any new techniques you need for labs you get shown in first year

Lecturers:.
- some are AMAZING. Literally, some of them you sit there and you pay attention to the entire 50 minute lecture and want to do the reading because you want to do well. i.e Dr Meijer/ Prof. Fowler. Admittedly the latter overdoes it with the sheer volume of information that he crams into a lecture, but my god he loves his subject. If I get him supervising my 4th year project I may die.
- some are very gifted at delivering a well recited powerpoint at 9am... i.e where they basically repeat everything on the slides, AND give you a handout. So you don't exactly do an awful lot and tend to drift off a bit...
- you're going to be a massive year if the current first year is anything to go by. FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T BE LATE TO YOUR INDUCTION THING DURING FRESHERS. You will have to do the walk of shame right down to the front...

The SU is the shiz. Seriously, a stupid number of societies, you will find one you like. Join Chemsoc, you get comfy hoodies. The older students just want you to do well, so it's like a massively... insane family.
Reply 801
Original post by .snowflake.
As mad as this sounds, as soon as I got off the tram and got onto campus.. it felt like home? It was a toss up between York and Sheffield for my firm, Sheffield had the nicer accommodation and it was significantly cheaper as well.

Labs:
- damn hard work, but so fun.
~ 40 of you in each lab group, in first year you spend 6 weeks in each lab (organic, inorganic, physical) in 2 blocks of 3 weeks.
- it's not rare to find a conical flask that says 'West Germany' on it. I don't have a problem with that on it's own. I have more of a problem that all the markings have gone, so I have no idea of the volume of said flask!
- any new techniques you need for labs you get shown in first year

Lecturers:.
- some are AMAZING. Literally, some of them you sit there and you pay attention to the entire 50 minute lecture and want to do the reading because you want to do well. i.e Dr Meijer/ Prof. Fowler. Admittedly the latter overdoes it with the sheer volume of information that he crams into a lecture, but my god he loves his subject. If I get him supervising my 4th year project I may die.
- some are very gifted at delivering a well recited powerpoint at 9am... i.e where they basically repeat everything on the slides, AND give you a handout. So you don't exactly do an awful lot and tend to drift off a bit...
- you're going to be a massive year if the current first year is anything to go by. FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T BE LATE TO YOUR INDUCTION THING DURING FRESHERS. You will have to do the walk of shame right down to the front...

The SU is the shiz. Seriously, a stupid number of societies, you will find one you like. Join Chemsoc, you get comfy hoodies. The older students just want you to do well, so it's like a massively... insane family.

That sounds really nice, thanks a lot. :smile: My only problem with Sheffield at the moment is that it is quite far from home, but I will make sure to visit before making any final decisions.
Was it a big step up from A-level?
Original post by Gotzz
That sounds really nice, thanks a lot. :smile: My only problem with Sheffield at the moment is that it is quite far from home, but I will make sure to visit before making any final decisions.
Was it a big step up from A-level?

The build you up gently. The quantum mechanics stuff is difficult, and new for most of us, but most of the organic/ inorganic stuff in semester 1 isnt.
[QUOTE=".snowflake.;45382965"]
Original post by Gotzz

* her. Despite loving phys chem, I am female.
I actually told UCL where they could get off when they (finally) gave me an offer. Well, if the academics thought it appropriate to give me **** over where I'm from before I've even opened my mouth, what's to say my year group wouldn't behave the same way.

Admittedly I get some banter from the southerners in my year here at Sheffield, but it is just that, banter. And the lads I get it from I am very close to.

what does the bit in bold mean? I didn't understand :s-smilie: :confused:

* her. Despite loving phys chem, I am female.
I actually told UCL where they could get off when they (finally) gave me an offer. Well, if the academics thought it appropriate to give me **** over where I'm from before I've even opened my mouth, what's to say my year group wouldn't behave the same way.

Original post by Coral Reafs

I declined them <4 hours after the offer came through. Basically
I declined them <4 hours after the offer came through. Basically

Ooh ok.

How come? It sounds like you had quite a run in with them.

What happened?? :eek:
Ooh ok.

How come? It sounds like you had quite a run in with them.

What happened?? :eek:

does all of the touring the department and lecture stuffs, and then has the interview. Gets intrduced to her by Dewi Lewis (He's an absolute babe. Mad, but lovely) The first thing she says to me, not Hello, but 'You better not have a really strong northern accent, otherwise I'm not going to be able to understand you'.
does all of the touring the department and lecture stuffs, and then has the interview. Gets intrduced to her by Dewi Lewis (He's an absolute babe. Mad, but lovely) The first thing she says to me, not Hello, but 'You better not have a really strong northern accent, otherwise I'm not going to be able to understand you'.

:lolwut:

in a joking way right??

and was Dewi Lewis present to hear this??:angry:
:lolwut:

in a joking way right??

and was Dewi Lewis present to hear this??:angry:

I think he may have overheard. I hope it was banter. Didnt feel like it at the time.
Reply 810
[QUOTE=".snowflake.;45382756"]
Original post by Bobby2

Second year, Sheffield Uni.
and desparate for xmas...

Aren't we all :wink: just out of interest what a levels did you do?
I think he may have overheard. I hope it was banter. Didnt feel like it at the time.

damn I hope it was banter too ( for your sake), otherwise that can pi$$ anybody off tbh.

do you remember the name of your interviewer by any chance?
Original post by Jamie77

Aren't we all :wink: just out of interest what a levels did you do?

Biology, Chemistry, German, General (what is the point??) Studies, maths at AS, which I bombed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gotzz
Wow, you sound prepared.
Did your school teach unit 2 of A2 chem before unit 1? Or have you learnt the whole A-level or something? Or are you not with OCR A and your units are different to mine? :lol:
I ask because my school taught unit 2 first which is transition elements, energy, etc. So I've finished that but haven't done any of the organics (unit 1) :s-smilie: I hope they don't ask me anything to do with that.

I'm in the same situation as you; I was actually wondering if I should go over some of the organic stuff. How are you revising for your chemistry interviews?
Also, has anybody got an offer from Durham yet?
Reply 815
Original post by thekelzstar
I'm in the same situation as you; I was actually wondering if I should go over some of the organic stuff. How are you revising for your chemistry interviews?

Revising AS chem, revising A2 stuff I've learnt so far, re-reading books I mentioned in my PS, reading articles.
Reply 816
Original post by Bookler_Natsu
Got an interview from st Edmund hall oxford!!! Not from the college I applied to but oh well, at least I got an interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I have an interview there too :smile::cool:
Have you seen the college that's one of the college I didn't see on the open day
Where else did u apply
Have you got offers
Reply 817
Hey guys who have interviews at Oxford
You know how they make you stay there
Are you bringing like a rucksack full of stationery stuff
I know it's a stupid q
But stuff like ur pyjamas or something
Reply 818
Original post by dguy95
Hey guys who have interviews at Oxford
You know how they make you stay there
Are you bringing like a rucksack full of stationery stuff
I know it's a stupid q
But stuff like ur pyjamas or something

Yeah, most people are bringing something in the range of a rucksack to a small suitcase with changes of clothes, pajamas, school work, stationery, toiletries, etc.
Original post by dguy95
Hey I have an interview there too :smile::cool:
Have you seen the college that's one of the college I didn't see on the open day
Where else did u apply
Have you got offers

Nice to know there's other studentroom folks at the same college as well :P
I have not seen it as I haven't been to oxford's open day. But I saw some YouTube videos of it, it looks really nice, although a bit far to walk to the chemistry department compared to some other colleges.
And I also applied to Durham, York, Nottingham and Cardiff.
So far, I got offers from York and Nottingham. Still waiting to hear from Cardiff and Durham (think maybe I'm being rejected though as it's taking far too long).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending