The Student Room Group

Do you need Graphic Design A-Level to study it at University?

Hi, I'm 17 and I have never STUDIED graphic design before, however I am self taught, and know all the aspects of it, and fairly confident on how to use photoshop, illustrator, indesign etc (as I have these softwares already at home). My UCAS deadline is this Friday, but I'm just wondering If i'll be accepted just showing a portfolio / sketchbook of my drawings and an online portfolio of business cards, leaflets etc that i've made for people (and some made up).

I have tried asking a teacher from the art department for some insight, but she waffles on and fails to tell me the whole point, and what I should or shouldn't include - and clearly tried to put me off it.

This is something I really desperately want to do at University.
Would I need a foundation degree of some sort before pursuing on? Or would a portfolio be fine?

Thanks (:

I'm studying eng lit, law, and ict A2 - and in the middle of writing my personal statement.
you probably want to do an art foundation course first, for which art or dt is useful but you can get in with a very strong portfolio...
Reply 2
A friend of mine does Accounting. This would need Maths, Business and the such. She did Psychology and Sociology.
What got her Uni interviews was a brilliant Personal Statement, citing all the volunteering work she has done and how her subjects are still relevant to the degree.

A lot of the time if you get 3B's, and that's what the uni wants, you're in, no matter the course. As long as you can discuss the relevance to Graphics, and show them you're work, you can get some acceptances.
Reply 3
Oooohh, I see.. Interesting :P - Thank you very much,

Sad thing is, the art teacher at our college is refusing to give me some insight on what to include in my portfolio... So I'm just going to have to do a few google searches.
Reply 4
Original post by Nifix
Oooohh, I see.. Interesting :P - Thank you very much,

Sad thing is, the art teacher at our college is refusing to give me some insight on what to include in my portfolio... So I'm just going to have to do a few google searches.

If you create a portfolio which is focused on graphic design, e.g. magazine covers, posters etc. but add a range of other things such as pieces of fine art and photography to show you are a good drawer and an all rounder they'll be really impressed. Adding life drawings is a massive thing for most unis as well, they love it! If you try to mess around with typography artists as well, (e.g. Tobias Wandres, David Carson etc) they like that as well. :smile: Hope this helped. A good personal statement is key for them as well, showing your passion for it sometimes is the key for an interview.
Reply 5
Original post by cclarke
If you create a portfolio which is focused on graphic design, e.g. magazine covers, posters etc. but add a range of other things such as pieces of fine art and photography to show you are a good drawer and an all rounder they'll be really impressed. Adding life drawings is a massive thing for most unis as well, they love it! If you try to mess around with typography artists as well, (e.g. Tobias Wandres, David Carson etc) they like that as well. :smile: Hope this helped. A good personal statement is key for them as well, showing your passion for it sometimes is the key for an interview.

Hi! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!!! :-) The only problem I'm having is whether I have to print out the magazine covers etc and mount them into a sketchbook? or would this have to be saved on a USB? I'm not sure.
Reply 6
Original post by Nifix
Hi! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!!! :-) The only problem I'm having is whether I have to print out the magazine covers etc and mount them into a sketchbook? or would this have to be saved on a USB? I'm not sure.

They'd prefer you to have it in a portfolio, something A2/A3 sized and mounted. So for example, mines A3 and all of my work is mounted on white card with a black border. It's all about presentation when it comes to a portfolio! They do like to see sketchbooks as well, and of course you can leave that as messy as you want as it's all drawings and sketches. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by cclarke
They'd prefer you to have it in a portfolio, something A2/A3 sized and mounted. So for example, mines A3 and all of my work is mounted on white card with a black border. It's all about presentation when it comes to a portfolio! They do like to see sketchbooks as well, and of course you can leave that as messy as you want as it's all drawings and sketches. :smile:

Seriously, thanks so much. I really didn't know it had to be printed and mounted on card. Do I have to annotate around the graphics I created, or is that more of a sketchbook thing? OR do I just simply print them out and arrange it on card? o.O
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Taking an Art Foundation course is definitely something to consider- often people that have done Art at A Level still complete one of these. However, people do apply to art degrees and still get in, so it's worth taking the chance and seeing what happens I think. :smile:

(Also, different universities have different guidelines for how they would like your portfolio to be presented, and sometimes you can find examples online. Usually if they want annotation it is better to put a tracing paper overlay over your work and writing on that- that way it is less likely to detract from your work.)

Hope that helps, and good luck! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by RainReader

Hope that helps, and good luck! :smile:

Thanks!! Glad to see people trying to help me, better than my teachers :-)

One of the unis i'm applying to is offering 4 years including a foundation degree, so i may consider this :P

Quick Reply

Latest