The Student Room Group

Moving between branches

Hi
I am applying to study nursing at university. The course has 36 mental health 36 child places. 200 adult places. What I want to know is this:

If I study adult nursing and like my placement I get for mental health in 1st year is it possible to change course? I am only asking because I am doing an HNC and love my adult placement but I really really like what mental health nurses do, when I hear about it.

So how easy is it (if possible) to change branch? Also have any of you done it and if so how did it go?

thanks
Reply 1
Some universities have a common first year in terms of teaching for all nursing branches and so may allow you to change during/after your first year. It would depend if they have any drop outs though, you wouldn't be able to change if it was still fully subscribed due to funding.

It'd be worth asking your chosen unis though, by email or at an open day (wouldn't suggest asking at an interview in case they take it to mean you are unsure about your choice!) or maybe post in the uni specific forum to see if any current students know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As said above, a lot of people moved around on my course but there had to be a space and they had to be interviewed again. Also depends on whether you do cpf or not and unis tend to be moving away from that.
Reply 3
Original post by Bubble87
Some universities have a common first year in terms of teaching for all nursing branches and so may allow you to change during/after your first year. It would depend if they have any drop outs though, you wouldn't be able to change if it was still fully subscribed due to funding.

It'd be worth asking your chosen unis though, by email or at an open day (wouldn't suggest asking at an interview in case they take it to mean you are unsure about your choice!) or maybe post in the uni specific forum to see if any current students know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know which universities allow you to study general nursing and pick a branch later on? I searched on NHS but didn't really get an answer.
Original post by Woro
Do you know which universities allow you to study general nursing and pick a branch later on? I searched on NHS but didn't really get an answer.

There is no such thing as general nursing now. You have to pick your branch from the start, either mental health, child health, learning disabilities or adult.
Reply 5
Original post by angel_delight
There is no such thing as general nursing now. You have to pick your branch from the start, either mental health, child health, learning disabilities or adult.

Oh, alright, thanks (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending