The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charllbowles
I still don't understand what an insurance is? If you have a firm place then why do you need another? Is it just in case something goes wrong with your firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. I assume you are applying before you have taken your exams. If you have an offer which you have accepted as your firm, and you don't make the grades and your university isn't lenient enough to let you in anyway, then you have nowhere to go unless you have been sensible enough to have the safety net of an insurance place asking for lower grades.

If you are applying after you have your exam results, then all offers will be unconditional and you can't have an insurance.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yes. I assume you are applying before you have taken your exams. If you have an offer which you have accepted as your firm, and you don't make the grades and your university isn't lenient enough to let you in anyway, then you have nowhere to go unless you have been sensible enough to have the safety net of an insurance place asking for lower grades.

If you are applying after you have your exam results, then all offers will be unconditional and you can't have an insurance.

Thankyou:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 942
Original post by Lucy96
Ouch! Guessing you've applied for a competitive course at competitive universities? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha! Just got an offer from UCL, what are the chances eh :rolleyes:?
Original post by smile:D
Ha! Just got an offer from UCL, what are the chances eh :rolleyes:?

No way! That's amazing, congratulations :biggrin: must be a great feeling after so long, especially as it's UCL too :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 944
Original post by Lucy96
No way! That's amazing, congratulations :biggrin: must be a great feeling after so long, especially as it's UCL too :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: indeed, so relieved now
Reply 945
I just sent off my application, now I'm just waiting for ucas to hurry up and process it. How long did it take for you?
Reply 946
Original post by SorenaJ
I just sent off my application, now I'm just waiting for ucas to hurry up and process it. How long did it take for you?

I got my first offer after 10 days :smile:
Still waiting for the other 4 :mad:
Reply 947
Original post by Hanover
I got my first offer after 10 days :smile:
Still waiting for the other 4 :mad:
I hope I'll get an offer soon, but I'm only applying to Scottish unis, and I've heard they're slow.. I just got on 'Track' and I don't want to close it. What if I get an offer while I'm not there? This is going to drive me insane, and it's only been a few hours. Oh joy.
Still waiting for QMUL and the university of Nottingham to reply, they seem to be taking ages! :s-smilie:
Reply 949
Original post by SorenaJ
I hope I'll get an offer soon, but I'm only applying to Scottish unis, and I've heard they're slow.. I just got on 'Track' and I don't want to close it. What if I get an offer while I'm not there? This is going to drive me insane, and it's only been a few hours. Oh joy.

Yeah I think Scottish unis wait until 15th January to give out offers, unless you're a real excellent applicant with A*A*A* + perfect PS :biggrin:
Reply 950
Original post by Hanover
Yeah I think Scottish unis wait until 15th January to give out offers, unless you're a real excellent applicant with A*A*A* + perfect PS :biggrin:

Probably. I've just seen a couple of people getting offer from the Scottish unis that I applied to. I don't think I'm an excellent applicant. I'm doing the IB, got a predicted 41 with 766 at HL and my PS is okay, I guess?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 951
Original post by crescendox
Still waiting for QMUL and the university of Nottingham to reply, they seem to be taking ages! :s-smilie:

It's only been 2 and a half weeks! I've been waiting on Warwick for SEVEN WEEKS :argh:
Hi Guys, I am applying through my school, THEY STILL HAVENT SENT IT OFF, MY FORM TEACHER HASNT EVEN WROTE MY STATEMENT YET :angry: IS THIS BAD ??? IM SO SCARED ....... Would I get less offers or would it affect my application at all?
Reply 953
im waiting on my reference too...
I got an email that something on my application had changed though upon checking.... nothing has changed?
Reply 955
I have interviews for Bournemouth and Brighton. Got rejected by Southampton without an interview ~ I have higher level qualifications than about 98% of applicants, what in the holy hells? O.o
Original post by MissLovablex
Hi Guys, I am applying through my school, THEY STILL HAVENT SENT IT OFF, MY FORM TEACHER HASNT EVEN WROTE MY STATEMENT YET :angry: IS THIS BAD ??? IM SO SCARED ....... Would I get less offers or would it affect my application at all?

I read that 50% of applicants apply in the 6 weeks before the January deadline. So don't worry. You're not going to miss the deadline, and they keep places open for late applicants. It just seems like everyone has applied because people on TSR tend to be smart and extra-quick. What you have to do is talk to your teacher, tell him/her to get the statement done because you need to send off the application by the end of the week. Be forceful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ciri
I have interviews for Bournemouth and Brighton. Got rejected by Southampton without an interview ~ I have higher level qualifications than about 98% of applicants, what in the holy hells? O.o

How do you know your qualifications are that good? Southampton gets loads of great applicants, some of which are also applying for Oxbridge. It's that good. Unless you mean Southampton Solent. Which is bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SoggyTractor
I read that 50% of applicants apply in the 6 weeks before the January deadline. So don't worry. You're not going to miss the deadline, and they keep places open for late applicants. It just seems like everyone has applied because people on TSR tend to be smart and extra-quick. What you have to do is talk to your teacher, tell him/her to get the statement done because you need to send off the application by the end of the week. Be forceful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou

No way my school will send it off by this week ... probs by last week of december more likely to be january. My teacher said they cant do it yet ://///

I've applied for northampton, lincoln, nottingham trent, birmingham city, sheffield hallam,I've reddd online some of them has already gave out offers :/
is there going to be less chance for me to get accepted if i send it in janurary?
Reply 959
Original post by SoggyTractor
How do you know your qualifications are that good? Southampton gets loads of great applicants, some of which are also applying for Oxbridge. It's that good. Unless you mean Southampton Solent. Which is bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I already have a BSc in Psychology and I'm applying for another one in Child Nursing because the postgrad course was full. Medical issues prevented me from applying on time, which Southampton accepted.

University of Southampton told me themselves that a degree is worth well above A*s at A-Level and significantly makes up for my straight Cs at college.

Ah yes, Solent. The embarrassment of my town. Although, I know somebody from school who took some sort of broadcasting course there and he's got a very good job now.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending