The Student Room Group

Digital Aristotle

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by WebKoala

Thoughts? Predictions?

The code is [VIDEO], not [YOUTUBE] buddy.
Reply 2
Original post by Dopamine Dreams
The code is [VIDEO], not
buddy.

I just changed it to a link. Thanks for spotting.
welcome to the Age of Halfassed education - where everyone dogmatically accepts information they attain on the Internet without social interaction and discussion with other people - computer algorithms aren't complex enough to interact with students like Aristotle would - this is bad for the economy and it's bad for education in general.
Reply 4
Original post by John Stuart Mill
welcome to the Age of Halfassed education - where everyone dogmatically accepts information they attain on the Internet without social interaction and discussion with other people - computer algorithms aren't complex enough to interact with students like Aristotle would - this is bad for the economy and it's bad for education in general.
However the currebnt school system hold back the smarter and goes to fast for their opposite. Don't you agree with ceratin points. Also he never said it would be as good as aristotle but suggested it as a cheaper alternative.
Reply 5
I used Khan Academy through college and still reference back to it for university work if I'm not completely sure on a methodology. There are also dozens of other resources from around the world (so different styles and different syllabi), so I learned to answer the topic, not the specific question, which was better for education and meant I could apply it to different scenarios.

I think the problem might exist with not having centralised education. It's hard enough to get a kid to do their homework let alone focus on a tablet or PC without switching over to something more enjoyable. School, while it has its flaws, gives a focus and separation from the rest of your life. If everyone went over to Aristotl-e, what happens when you get stuck or can't access the information? How will you assess students and how can you make sure they're on track? Peer focused study is also very beneficial to social and academia, so how will this fit in?

I like the idea of shaping education to a person though. We need different skills at different ages and are more capable of learning those skills at certain times too. I think technology should compliment education and students need to be aware of these alternatives (they need to learn to learn), but it shouldn't become the main source just yet.
Reply 6
Hello this might be a relevant article, I agree with the other comments in this thread.. Aristotle might even think mankind had come to an end

http://www.wamda.com/index.php/2013/10/technology-not-always-answer-education?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=October13

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending