The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cutebat
Thannnnkyouuuu :-) did you apply last year then?

No I didn't I just saw people discussing it ! Such a stressful time I hope everyone gets a place, I don't think they realize how much time and effort people put in to get onto a course!
Original post by andrea199
No I didn't I just saw people discussing it ! Such a stressful time I hope everyone gets a place, I don't think they realize how much time and effort people put in to get onto a course!

No, I think they know. It's an extremely difficult course, so if someone is put off by the application, they're hardly likely to make it through the course. It makes sense.
Can someone explain to me the modular/ non- modular thing? Didn't it just come up automatically when you put in your choice?

Two of mine say non modular and one says modular.
Has anyone got an interview at Lancaster for a pgce science course?
Gotten past the point of caring whether I'm being annoying or persistent, my old uni tutor is getting another email tomorrow. She did my reference for a late application I made in the summer and she had to email the reference to the University so I'm hoping she still has the email somewhere.

Is anyone else applying for Worcester, Nottingham or Exeter for Secondary History?
For all those who have an interview, did UCAS email you to tell you or did you just find out going on track?
Original post by Lucy_jucie
For all those who have an interview, did UCAS email you to tell you or did you just find out going on track?

I got an email but not sure if that differs with the university
Original post by Melmac
HI i have applied for edinburgh, strathclyde and glasgow. Hoping to hear about interviews soon. Received my Ucas letter today to track :biggrin: anyone else applied for these universitys ?

hey I have applied for all of these unis to do art and design, what about you? :smile:
Original post by bordercollies10
Hey
I'm applying to UWS, Glasgow and Strathclyde :-)

ooh i'm glasgow strathclyde and edinburgh
:biggrin:
I've just sent my application for an MFL course (French with Spanish) in Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam and Hull.

THE WAIT BEGINS.
Just to remind people, discussion of specific interview questions and activities at specific unis is against TSR rules. Please refrain from mentioning these details as it provides people with an unfair advantage in the interview process, especially after the first round of interviews.
Reply 2431
Original post by steph_cook92
Has anyone else applied to Greenwich?

I've applied for Secondary Physics with Maths. The Avery Hill campus is literally right on my doorstep so it would be incredibly convenient. I haven't had so much as a confirmation from them yet though.
Original post by Airfairy
Mine was literally- school x. Dates. Role. And I did it bullet pointed. Same reasoned as above. I was just under the impression it was for facts rather than explanation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are still working on the volunteering, do you put from x date to present date or from x date to ongoing?
Original post by pthomas112
Hi, Had my interview for social science at the IoE today. Wasn't too stressful, there were 7 of us and we were told that there were 20 places, and if we impressed them today we should all get a place (they said we werent in competition!).

we had to answer how what challenges we may face during the PGCE, how our subject is relevant to young people, and discuss a current educational topic. The individual interviews were really short (only 15 mins) we had to present our lesson plan and then have a 5/10 miniute chat (why do you want to be a teacher, why this institute, etc).

My 1-1 was quite relaxed and we were laughing and joking a little towards the end. Its jsut hard becuase you don't know what they really look forward and how you come accross.

On another note, i got asked to attend an interview today for Worcester uni for a Psychology PGCE, so there may be hope if I'm unsuccessful at the IoE!

So lucky! The IoE is a pretty high class institution so I am surprised there were so few of you.
Reply 2434
Original post by tory88
Thanks, you too! What do you mean about the skills tests? Secondary have to do them as well.

I know my structure was the same for all science PGCEs at the IoE, but from a bit of reading around every university and every department seem to have different procedures and desires when it comes to recruiting students. My e-mail was pretty prescriptive, which was quite nice. And the overwhelming impression I get is that the process is not competitive, and is as friendly as possible.

Hmm, well I'm assuming if they expected me to present or write something they would have included it in the email. I'm hoping that's the case, otherwise I'm in for quite a few surprises! Is IoE your 1st choice?
Original post by jeffercake
If you want to do secondary then you're fine with a C or above in English and Maths. If you want to do primary then you also need the C in science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the address section for my school-based referee, do I put his work address (i.e. the school) or do I need to ask him for his personal address (it seems a bit iffy to me)?
Reply 2436
I still haven't heard anything. Not a sausage.

It's a tad annoying that some people have received interviews and such like when I haven't even heard so much as an acknowledgement, but if it's anything like undergrad, I assume some unis/departments just don't bother with acknowledgements and will only let you know when they have something worth saying - i.e. we'd like to invite you to interview, or whatever.

So I'm not worried but it's just a little annoying!

I think some of them might be waiting until they get enough applicants before they start giving out interviews too, as most of them do them in groups. I've applied for post-compulsory which is a lot less competitive than primary/secondary, and I assume they just haven't had enough applications yet to put people in to groups for interviews.

Has anyone else paid and sent and not heard a peep? :smile: I sent mine off last Tuesday.
Reply 2437
Original post by Caina
Hmm, well I'm assuming if they expected me to present or write something they would have included it in the email. I'm hoping that's the case, otherwise I'm in for quite a few surprises! Is IoE your 1st choice?

Just make sure you know what makes a good presentation, and are clued up on a few areas of education policy, and you'll be fine if they do spring something on you. If not, then it's good preparation for interview questions anyway. IoE is my 2nd choice at the moment, coming after Kings, but if I like what I see at interview that could all change.
Reply 2438
Original post by starryeyedkid
Gotten past the point of caring whether I'm being annoying or persistent, my old uni tutor is getting another email tomorrow. She did my reference for a late application I made in the summer and she had to email the reference to the University so I'm hoping she still has the email somewhere.

Is anyone else applying for Worcester, Nottingham or Exeter for Secondary History?

Nottingham for Secondary too, but for English. ^^ Haven't seen any mention of Notts other than for Trent, which I suppose is a good thing as I am also awaiting that beloved primary reference. Would hate to see people having interview offers for Notts without having even sent my application, would drive me crazy haha. Have also got a schools direct choice accredited to Nottingham.
Original post by Lucy_jucie
Hey ive applied for PGCE Business Ed for Sunderland Uni. I've been told interviews arnt untill Jan, but I've had not reply to say I've got one :-( it looks like loads of people's have interviews already which is worrying me.

Hey. Where else have you applied?? I know of nobody else for PGCE BS/BE who has already been invited to interview. I think it's just Sheffield who are on the ball - so do not worry!!

Don't worry!! Have you done your QTS N/L KS yet??

S

Latest

Trending

Trending