The Student Room Group

Women's football

What are your views on women's football?

Do you watch it?

What problems are there?

How can women's football be improved?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sometimes I do watch it. Whenever it's on.
Problem with it is that the quality isn't there.
For instance, the new WSL they've set up in England where Liverpool Ladies just won. The level of defending is atrocious.
It just seems tactically, a lot of these teams have a long way to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYdj3--ur6g just proves my point.
Reply 2
LOL
It's absolutely awful.

My girlfriend plays for an under 18s team. They're top of the league, best in the county, yet the football is shocking. It's slow, they can barely pass to each other so the game consists of booting it towards each end of the pitch until a defender miskicks and allows a striker through, and sometimes they actually squeal when the ball comes near them.

I genuinely think the average boys under 13 team would beat the average girls under 18 team.
(edited 10 years ago)
Is this a serious thread? :biggrin:

It's ****ing terrible and gets far too much publicity for the quality of football on show.

I trained with a small team in Birmingham that enters the FA Cup (so the quality is better than Sunday League but not professional level), I held my own, one of the lads there went into Villa's academy.

Anyway, I know a girl who plays in the women's Premier League. I've played against her and am miles better :biggrin:.

So, so poor. Look how slow the play is on that video.

How can it be improved? Time. But it will never be the quality of men's football because women are physically inferior.
Reply 5
I don't like football but I do like women so IMO:

Women's football > Men's football.
I've tried to watch it but I just can't :no: its not entertaining or fun to watch at all, the best bits are when the poor players make dreadful mistakes.

EDIT: Having said that I enjoyed the highlights from above due to the sheer amount of goals :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

I don't know why, but every female footballer I have ever seen, is pretty awful. There are lots of impressive female athletes out there, who are incredibly skilled and incredibly athletic, however when it comes to football, they're all awful.
Reply 8
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo

I don't know why, but every female footballer I have ever seen, is pretty awful. There are lots of impressive female athletes out there, who are incredibly skilled and incredibly athletic, however when it comes to football, they're all awful.

Omg at 0:20. Unbelievable.
Well when money and time are put into males achieving more..then them being "Bad" is inevitable. Women's rugby isn't like this.
i know a lot of girls that play football, one plays for england, one moved to play in america, others just play in various leagues.
Of course many of them wont be able to physically compete with men (much like male/women tennis) but i guarantee you the ones playing professionally/higher league will be so much beter tactically/teamwork wise than majority of guys that play anything below semi-pro football (which is a huge thing if you want to move up in leagues to start getting paid)
Original post by Metropolis
i know a lot of girls that play football, one plays for england, one moved to play in america, others just play in various leagues.
Of course many of them wont be able to physically compete with men (much like male/women tennis) but i guarantee you the ones playing professionally/higher league will be so much beter tactically/teamwork wise than majority of guys that play anything below semi-pro football (which is a huge thing if you want to move up in leagues to start getting paid)

The fact that you feel the need to point this out - that pro females who play in the "higher leagues" are actually better than amateur male footballers who don't even get paid - just proves everyones point.
They would have to pay me to watch women's football...that's 90mins!
Reply 13
[video="youtube;KljOjo0ZxVI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KljOjo0ZxVI[/video]
Original post by Arturo Bandini
The fact that you feel the need to point this out - that pro females who play in the "higher leagues" are actually better than amateur male footballers who don't even get paid - just proves everyones point.

??

I didn't say that at all, i said "wont be able to physically compete with men" (that includes technically)
and "better tactically/teamwork wise than majority of guys that play anything below semi-pro football"

how involved are you in the mens/womens football scene? Are you able to give us any more insight?
Reply 15
Watching women's football is completely pointless when I could watch better quality stuff down at my local park.

Fitness might be an issue, but give us 3 months and I reckon the best 11 from my group of friends could beat England's women's team.
??

I didn't say that at all, i said "wont be able to physically compete with men" (that includes technically)
and "better tactically/teamwork wise than majority of guys that play anything below semi-pro football"

So you're pointing out that pro women are better (tactically and technically) than amateur men (you're saying "anything below semi-pro" for some reason, which is the same thing). Which is exactly what I said here:

So you're pointing out that pro women are better (tactically and technically)

i actually said not technically
i actually said not technically

Oh yeah. Okay, so you said that pro, high league women are better than amateur men, but only tactically, not technically.

And this was your argument for women's football not being ****? :confused:
Original post by ddaappoo
Sometimes I do watch it. Whenever it's on.
Problem with it is that the quality isn't there.
For instance, the new WSL they've set up in England where Liverpool Ladies just won. The level of defending is atrocious.
It just seems tactically, a lot of these teams have a long way to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYdj3--ur6g just proves my point.

To be fair looking at the WSL table Doncaster Belles managed 6 points with a goal difference of -30 so even by women's football standards they are terrible.

The only women's football match worth watching is if Japan play USA because they are two of the few countries that really take it seriously so the quality is decent, it's still not premier league quality but it's watchable and if you were American you'd be happy enough to support the team without falling asleep.

Quick Reply

Latest