The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
Original post by hilbert_spaces
Does that imply if you don't get into your first choice college, you will also not get into any other college?

I WISH I could travel to Oxford but the interview conflicts with my final exams.

I have no idea. Maybe other colleges will consider us based on the evaluation provided to them by our interviewing college. But this is just a guess. In fact, it's not even possible to be certain that we don't get a second interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1901
Just got offered an interview via Skype from Worcester College. I am a CS international applicant.
Reply 1902
Just got a rejection letter from St Hilda's :frown:
So all you other S Hilda's applicants should have gotten you're emails today.
The only silver lining for me is that whoever gets into oxford in my place will be someone who is fantastically clever and truly deserves a place at Oxford so good luck to whoever has an interview :smile:
Original post by BeltonianNewt
Anyone got an interview for Merton?

I still haven't :frown: I'm applying for maths and CS. My teacher says to email them to see if they've missed me off or something but I've read that candidates may not be informed until a week before the interview. Should I be worried?

I have a classmate of mine who's taking maths and CS (don't know which college) who hasn't heard from Oxford either. Do you know any other maths students who have/haven't heard from merton yet?
Reply 1904
Original post by MelvyW
Just got a rejection letter from St Hilda's :frown:
So all you other S Hilda's applicants should have gotten you're emails today.
The only silver lining for me is that whoever gets into oxford in my place will be someone who is fantastically clever and truly deserves a place at Oxford so good luck to whoever has an interview :smile:

Really sorry to hear that. Best of luck for the other places you applied to, hopefully those offers will be wonderful.
Original post by My13Roses
I still haven't :frown: I'm applying for maths and CS. My teacher says to email them to see if they've missed me off or something but I've read that candidates may not be informed until a week before the interview. Should I be worried?

I have a classmate of mine who's taking maths and CS (don't know which college) who hasn't heard from Oxford either. Do you know any other maths students who have/haven't heard from merton yet?

There are quite a few applicants to Merton for Maths and its joint courses on TSR, and no one has reported an interview invitation yet. Don't worry. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by My13Roses

It's extremely unlikely that it means the college have "forgotten you." It's an extremely busy time of year for colleges. Oxford had over 17700 applications this year. It takes time to process them all - mark aptitude tests/written work, shortlist, organise the logistics of interviews. Not to mention getting the right decisions to the right people. I know it's frustrating but it does take time.

If it's less than a week before the interview slot for your subject (which it isn't yet) then it's worth getting in touch. But until then just sit tight. Every phone call/email a college gets saying "how are things going with my application" is time spent away from actually getting those application/rejection letters/emails out. Different colleges do things in different orders, so it's perfectly normal for some colleges to get these invitations (etc) out early, and others a bit later. They will get to you. I know it's difficult, but just sit back and try to relax. Chasing the college at this point isn't going to make a difference to the outcome of your application...
Original post by souktik
I have no idea. Maybe other colleges will consider us based on the evaluation provided to them by our interviewing college. But this is just a guess. In fact, it's not even possible to be certain that we don't get a second interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will be up to the colleges when it comes to Skype candidates. You can't read much into it either way. No second interview could mean you've done so brilliantly in the first one there's no point. Or that the tutors felt they got enough out of you without needing to do more. Try to just relax and take it as it comes... (yes, I know. Easy for me to say.)

Original post by hilbert_spaces
Does that imply if you don't get into your first choice college, you will also not get into any other college?

No, not at all. It's perfectly possible for a tutor who hasn't seen a candidate (normally for logistical reasons) to make them an offer. They tend to trust other tutors' opinions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1907
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
It will be up to the colleges when it comes to Skype candidates. You can't read much into it either way. No second interview could mean you've done so brilliantly in the first one there's no point. Or that the tutors felt they got enough out of you without needing to do more. Try to just relax and take it as it comes... (yes, I know. Easy for me to say.)

I see, thank you. Just to clarify, are you saying that I wouldn't find out whether or not a second college wants to interview me till the first interview is over?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
I see, thank you. Just to clarify, are you saying that I wouldn't find out whether or not a second college wants to interview me till the first interview is over?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the college.... The application process is a bit of a logistical phenomenon. There's lots of people scurrying around behind the scenes making sure that the right people get interviewed by the right other people at the right time. There's no point in trying to second guess it. Just sit back...
Reply 1909
Depends on the college.... The application process is a bit of a logistical phenomenon. There's lots of people scurrying around behind the scenes making sure that the right people get interviewed by the right other people at the right time. There's no point in trying to second guess it. Just sit back...

I understand. Yes, I better focus on the interview I actually have instead of whether or not I get an additional one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got an invite for an interview at Merton *does happy dance*
Reply 1911
Original post by dutchmaths

Congratulations!
This warrants an emoticon spam. :biggrin:
:bumps::congrats::dancing2::danceboy::dance:
Reply 1912
Invite for an interview at New College :biggrin:
Reply 1913
Original post by MK_
Invite for an interview at New College :biggrin:

Prepare to meet the Flynn.
Reply 1914
Original post by Noble.
Prepare to meet the Flynn.

I met him on an open day and he seemed nice enough, though it may have been a mistake to mention analysis and number theory on my ps...
Reply 1915
Original post by MK_
I met him on an open day and he seemed nice enough, though it may have been a mistake to mention analysis and number theory on my ps...

Which open day? The one recently in September? (If so, I was there with Victor so you may have met me as well :cool:)
Reply 1916
Original post by Noble.
Which open day? The one recently in September? (If so, I was there with Victor so you may have met me as well :cool:)

Fraid not, it was some time in July.
Original post by dutchmaths

Same! I'm just so shocked as I genuinely think I did really very badly in the MAT :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1918

Do you know the percentage of people that have been invited to interview this year for maths and joint courses ( i imagine they have all been decided even if not all applicants have received them yet)?
Yay interview at Merton! As I'm on a gap year does that mean I could get asked further maths or uni level questions?
Appreciate the help!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending