The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2560
Original post by kpwxx
It is a tough one. Like people have said they are doing you favours and they are very very very busy!

But at the same time if people asked for a reference a while ago they are not being rushed now. As a teacher I personally would write a reference ASAP if someone asked and save it somewhere, as I wouldn't want to have to hold them up later on and I'd also find it easier to remember stuff sooner rather than later! But maybe that's just because I've only just graduated so know the system now a bit better. Plus I know the urgency of this year due to extra applications if it's for PGCE.

On the other hand if I had only found out recently so not pre-written it it might not be possible to do it quickly, due to the sudden and nature driven deadline of things you have to do in teaching, let alone if you're a head!

xxx

Yeah I do wonder if I gave him enough time as I asked him a week before ucas opened.. But then it's been two weeks now..actually three if you count the week before. I thought it had to be the Headteacher and thought it was a strict requirement and that's the only reason why I asked him. Otherwise, I would have asked the deputy head who organised my placement and who I spoke to whilst I was there, she is much more friendly and approachable than the head and I asked her for a reference for camp america and she literally wrote it in a day. So I do think she would have been like you, wanting to get it done ASAP. Anyway, I've emailed the Headteacher and asked him politely if he could do it ASAP and explained why, and also mentioned about it being acceptable for the deputy head to do if he doesn't have time etc. so hopefully, he will reply. I think it's when they don't reply, it's the worst because you don't know what's going on then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh! Finally got my application sent off on Friday and I passed my skills tests today! Now the wait begins!
Original post by rso101
You don't have to have your references in to sit the skills tests. As long as you have actually submitted your part of the application you are fine. Take a print out of the application form and of your UCAS id number. I did mine on Friday and they didn't ask for any proof at all which was weird. It wasn't until I left that I realised. I was so stressed at the time to remember what they were meant to be doing.

Some user on here emailed the people that organise the tests and they said that you have to have your application fully sent with refs included before you can sit the test.
Original post by etiquette
I emailed the head teacher I've been volunteering with and just said that I realise that this is a very busy time of year and he's got a lot to do, but UCAS allows applications to close on the 5th December and the universities I'm applying to have already starting offering interviews to candidates, so I'd really appreciate it if she could do it as soon as possible. I also added if she couldn't do it, could she let me know so that I had time to organise another one.

How did you do it? I volunteer at a school and my referee is the teacher I work with so I have to ask him to get the Head Teacher sign the reference or something.
Original post by Juichiro
Some user on here emailed the people that organise the tests and they said that you have to have your application fully sent with refs included before you can sit the test.

Yeah I think Pearson Vue are quite strict with it, but I did it at a university and the woman said they just ignore what Pearson Vue say and that I could do the tests at what times I wanted and in what order I felt like. She also said she just needs 'some sort of evidence that you've applied somewhere' and didn't give it a good look. So I think it depends on the place but it is probably a bit risky to go in before you've fully sent the application as you will miss out on your free chance and only have two chances left.
Original post by Fabay
I don't know if I should bother emailing the Headteacher for my reference. He only accepted the request last Thursday. The last time I emailed him was a week before that, to check if he had received the reference request which he didn't reply to. Then last Thursday I sent him another ucas email notification.. Partly by accident and he accepted that.
I kinda think I should leave it and just let him do it whenever he wants. But then I do think I should email him just to let him know that he needs to hurry up a bit (in a professional way) because all I am waiting for is him to do my reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, did it turn out at the end?

I am volunteering at a school and I need the Head Teacher (whom I have never seen) write my reference. Would it be okay if the teacher I work with write it and the Head Teacher just send it?
Reply 2566
Hi, did it turn out at the end?

I am volunteering at a school and I need the Head Teacher (whom I have never seen) write my reference. Would it be okay if the teacher I work with write it and the Head Teacher just send it?

Well, I've only just sent the email tonight so he'll probs reply tomorrow so will let you know. Yeah I'm sure that would be fine, and I think the head teacher would probs do that, or at least speak to the teacher about you first before writing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2567
Your payment has been made and your application has sent successfully to us.

Ahhhhhhhhh /falls over. She did it just in time and at half ten this evening no less... I'm no longer annoyed aha. I'm bringing my character reference some flowers when I next visit her, would like to give my academic something too, but don't feel the flowers/chocolate angle would be suitable for her. Hmm.
So relieved! :smile: To those still waiting, I really hope yours gets it done before you stress as much as/more than I have today!
Hi guys I have a question regarding interview dates. I have applied to Glasgow, Strathclyde and Edinburgh.

I am going on a short trip to Paris for a uni thing in February and I am worried that maybe I will get an interview date set whilst I'm away. Do you know how possible it is to change an interview date or if it is just not possible? :/

The whole idea of both things clashing is giving me the fear!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hippygirl
Hi guys I have a question regarding interview dates. I have applied to Glasgow, Strathclyde and Edinburgh.

I am going on a short trip to Paris for a uni thing in February and I am worried that maybe I will get an interview date set whilst I'm away. Do you know how possible it is to change an interview date or if it is just not possible? :/

The whole idea of both things clashing is giving me the fear!
Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a section in the uCAS application where you put the dates you are not available for interviews. :smile:
Thanks, Laurie! :smile: What have you applied for? :smile:

I've applied for secondary English, so competitive but I'm reasonably confident, though the wait for my academic reference is distressing me a bit!

What are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just passed my numeracy skills test!!
already passed the literacy one so that's them done!!
Application was sent last Thursday so fingers crossed for interviews now!
Original post by Brooksy1704
Just passed my numeracy skills test!!
already passed the literacy one so that's them done!!
Application was sent last Thursday so fingers crossed for interviews now!

How was It? In line with the practice ones and other resources? Harder? Easier?

congrats :smile: !
I have my interview coming in up a couple of weeks. So nervous about the presentation part of things. :redface:
I'm considering changing my second reference. My first reference was my university tutor and done very quickly on the day I submitted my application (fri 22nd Nov) but my second ref (the head where I volunteer) hasn't even indicated that he will complete it yet. I have been volunteering there a couple of months but he would need to get the teacher to write the reference and the teacher is currently off sick! My previous employer would write me a reference pretty quickly I am sure, I worked there for a year and trained with them for the 4 years prior to that so they know me really well. I am itching to change my second reference to them but don't want to scupper my chances with them not being a school (they are a hospital). I just can't bare to wait any longer to pay and send!
Just passed my Literacy skills test (thank goodness, one down one to go!!) is there somewhere that we have to state that we've passed it? I can only find somewhere to put down the dates. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miss_disney
How was It? In line with the practice ones and other resources? Harder? Easier?

congrats :smile: !

Maybe a tiny bit harder but not much. Similar to practise tests but a couple of questions I'd never seen before about area etc.
also some conversion questions with a slightly different layout
Do you have numeracy first? That really helped me
Reply 2577
Maybe a tiny bit harder but not much. Similar to practise tests but a couple of questions I'd never seen before about area etc.
also some conversion questions with a slightly different layout
Do you have numeracy first? That really helped me

If you don't mind me asking, what is numeracy first? Is it a book or website, I have been using study guides for maths, and practising the skills tests on line a lot to improve my mental maths!
Original post by Jo_Marie
If you don't mind me asking, what is numeracy first? Is it a book or website, I have been using study guides for maths, and practising the skills tests on line a lot to improve my mental maths!

Google numeracy first! They provide 20 extra tests for £19.99 I definitely recommend it!!
Reply 2579
Google numeracy first! They provide 20 extra tests for £19.99 I definitely recommend it!!

Oh I have looked at that, it does look very good, and handy that you can use it on mobile devices.
Good that you recommend it, I might try it out.

How did you find the numeracy, were there many questions that had not come up on the practice ones? And if you don't mind me asking, how many did you need to have right in order to pass - I keep trying to find this out online, but so far no such luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending