The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2580
Original post by Jo_Marie
Oh I have looked at that, it does look very good, and handy that you can use it on mobile devices.
Good that you recommend it, I might try it out.

How did you find the numeracy, were there many questions that had not come up on the practice ones? And if you don't mind me asking, how many did you need to have right in order to pass - I keep trying to find this out online, but so far no such luck!

It's 63% you need to get right in order to pass. You can do the math and see how many questions that will be if you need, I'm sure. P:

For people who can't justify the £20 for Numeracy First (I personally can't, and the lure of 'tests' is a bit empty as you can always find more for free online, or I can get my friends to draft me some questions for a pint etc :s-smilie: ) I bought 'Passing the Numeracy Skills Test' by Patmore. It's pretty good - some of the explanations aren't written in the best way and particularly with division, the formatting actually confuses the issue, but overall it has been helpful enough with a bit of common sense, and was just about £8, arrived the next day. ^^
Reply 2581
Original post by awe
It's 63% you need to get right in order to pass. You can do the math and see how many questions that will be if you need, I'm sure. P:

For people who can't justify the £20 for Numeracy First (I personally can't, and the lure of 'tests' is a bit empty as you can always find more for free online, or I can get my friends to draft me some questions for a pint etc :s-smilie: ) I bought 'Passing the Numeracy Skills Test' by Patmore. It's pretty good - some of the explanations aren't written in the best way and particularly with division, the formatting actually confuses the issue, but overall it has been helpful enough with a bit of common sense, and was just about £8, arrived the next day. ^^

:smile: lol this is actually the reason why I have not paid for it, as I just keep practising on the free ones online. I have plenty of maths study guides, and figured I am better of learning the rules and ways of doing thing, that way however the questions come up, I am prepared.

Thanks for letting me know the pass rate. I just need to check, do we need to bring along our own calculators and is it 63% overall in the maths or a specific percentage on each section - if you know what I mean!!!
Original post by bumpadaisy
I'm considering changing my second reference. My first reference was my university tutor and done very quickly on the day I submitted my application (fri 22nd Nov) but my second ref (the head where I volunteer) hasn't even indicated that he will complete it yet. I have been volunteering there a couple of months but he would need to get the teacher to write the reference and the teacher is currently off sick! My previous employer would write me a reference pretty quickly I am sure, I worked there for a year and trained with them for the 4 years prior to that so they know me really well. I am itching to change my second reference to them but don't want to scupper my chances with them not being a school (they are a hospital). I just can't bare to wait any longer to pay and send!

Hi! I think it's very important to get your application sent as courses are able to close tomorrow. I didn't use a school as my second reference and still got an interview. Good luck.
My manager has had a super busy time lately but has said my reference will definitely be done today. Here's hoping! I am getting so nervous now!!

Has anyone heard back from Notts Trent, Derby or Leicester yet?
Original post by awe

I was the same, I didn't have £20 for Numeracy First so I bought 'Pass the QTS Numeracy Skills Test with Ease' on my Kindle and it seems to be doing the job just fine. :smile: It was £8 too and I got it straight away because of my Kindle.

:smile: lol this is actually the reason why I have not paid for it, as I just keep practising on the free ones online. I have plenty of maths study guides, and figured I am better of learning the rules and ways of doing thing, that way however the questions come up, I am prepared.

Thanks for letting me know the pass rate. I just need to check, do we need to bring along our own calculators and is it 63% overall in the maths or a specific percentage on each section - if you know what I mean!!!

I don't think we're allowed calculators.
Original post by principessakl
Hi! I think it's very important to get your application sent as courses are able to close tomorrow. I didn't use a school as my second reference and still got an interview. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply! I'm going to change my reference add the school direct place I am applying for only has a limited number of places.
Reply 2586

Yeah, exactly.
They're taken online, it's just as it is for the official practice tests, so the calculator is in the programme used for the test. You don't have to bring one. And it's 63% for the whole maths test, and then 63% for whole literacy test. (:
Reply 2587
Does anyone know if there are currently any interviews going on for MFL at IoE, King's or Roehampton?
Reply 2588
Original post by awe
Yeah, exactly.
They're taken online, it's just as it is for the official practice tests, so the calculator is in the programme used for the test. You don't have to bring one. And it's 63% for the whole maths test, and then 63% for whole literacy test. (:

Thank you for your help! I take it you have already taken and passed both of yours? :wink:

I was invited to an interview at St Marys next Wednesday you see, and before that I was so stressed trying to sort out my referees, that I have honestly not even contemplated booking the tests let alone take them before the new year. I don't want to rush you see, as every open day I have been to, they have all said, you can still be offered a place but conditional upon passing the tests before the start of the course.....please tell me this has not changed!! Everyone on here seems to be passing, or at least booking their tests already!!
Reply 2589
Thank you for your help! I take it you have already taken and passed both of yours? :wink:

I was invited to an interview at St Marys next Wednesday you see, and before that I was so stressed trying to sort out my referees, that I have honestly not even contemplated booking the tests let alone take them before the new year. I don't want to rush you see, as every open day I have been to, they have all said, you can still be offered a place but conditional upon passing the tests before the start of the course.....please tell me this has not changed!! Everyone on here seems to be passing, or at least booking their tests already!!

No haha, I've got mine on the 10th! Just really fretting about the numeracy ones and tend to need to know everything about something like this just in case... otherwise I'd feel far too unprepared.
Congrats on the interview! Yeah I understand - I only really booked mine a little early because I'm already lacking on the application due to lack of experience and need any extra help having them completed might give me. Would have much rather left them till after Christmas, though I guess it'll be nice having them out of the way so I can relax over the holidays some more. (:
But I wouldn't worry - you can actually do your course without having passed them, you simply won't have QTS until they are completed. I believe that's how it works. It just is definitely a bonus if you can tick that box before the interviews etc. Remember that TSR doesn't represent the UK! So many other applicants out there who will be in the same position as you, or worse, who just aren't on the boards to prove it.
Reply 2590
Original post by awe
No haha, I've got mine on the 10th! Just really fretting about the numeracy ones and tend to need to know everything about something like this just in case... otherwise I'd feel far too unprepared.
Congrats on the interview! Yeah I understand - I only really booked mine a little early because I'm already lacking on the application due to lack of experience and need any extra help having them completed might give me. Would have much rather left them till after Christmas, though I guess it'll be nice having them out of the way so I can relax over the holidays some more. (:
But I wouldn't worry - you can actually do your course without having passed them, you simply won't have QTS until they are completed. I believe that's how it works. It just is definitely a bonus if you can tick that box before the interviews etc. Remember that TSR doesn't represent the UK! So many other applicants out there who will be in the same position as you, or worse, who just aren't on the boards to prove it.

Ha! I thought I was prepared, I feel like I have looked into every possible bit of information, and been on almost any PGCE website for the past two months solid! The joys of google I guess!

I see what you mean though, about having the extra edge of having passed the tests prior to interview, but I am sure that they will equally judge you on how you are as a person and how you should come across. I mean they are not going to offer someone who is not confident or likeable just because they have passed the tests, above someone they can see is passionate about wanting to teach, but haven't got round to completing the tests yet!!!

Thankyou, I got the invite yesterday and words can't explain who thrilled I was!! Where are you applying to, got any lined up yourself?
Reply 2591

It depends on the provider. I have not heard of any wanting you to have passed the tests before the interview, although Roehampton say (on their website) it would be to your advantage. Many request you have them booked before the interview, others merely ask you to have passed them before a certain date. I would contact your (potential) provider and ask. If they merely ask them to be passed before a certain date, or to have them booked before the interview, I would then ask myself, how likely am I to pass them at this stage of time? If you rush into them, and fail them before interview... will that do more harm than if you hadn't taken them before the interview? However, if you are regularly getting 80% in the practice tests, then go for it. That's my POV.

Don't worry, I haven't even booked them either. I don't plan to yet. Like awe has said, TSR isn't really representative of the UK, and I know a few people on PGCEs who didn't do their tests until the summer. Of course it's an advantage but I don't think it's the necessity people are making it out to be!
I know some people can't afford it but if you can defo get it.
i had the patmore and tyreman(?) books as well but found numeracy ready much better.

there was a question on area that I've never seen before and also a question about metres, cm, inches and feet.

I got a B in maths gcse and currently work in a school so would like to think I'm fairly good at maths but tbh I revised every day for the past week and still didn't feel like it was easy by any stretch although I don't think they want them to be!
Reply 2594
I had to call UCAS yesterday, because in my application it said that I didnt agree with a DBS check (I'm sure I ticked the box) , but the lady on the phone was very helpful and even said that she had a few people with the same problem! So it might be a bug in the system.....so better double check your applications :smile:
I have my interview at Brighton tomorrow... I am so nervous!!
Feeling really de-motivated right now. Still heard nothing from my referee and have no idea how quickly my providers will be closing for applications. So frustrated right now, there aren't even words.
Reply 2597
I know how you feel! I am waiting for both my referees - one of them I haven't heard anything from and one of them told me she'd got the request but is currently off sick - it's obviously not her fault she's sick, and I can't justify hassling her but I really wanted to get it in before this Thursday. Just have to hope none of my courses close :/
Original post by pthomas112
well done! me too, is yours on the 11th? seems like a really relaxed interview!
Yep! :smile: Yeah it doesn't seem too formal, mega nervous though!
Original post by alabelle
Feeling really de-motivated right now. Still heard nothing from my referee and have no idea how quickly my providers will be closing for applications. So frustrated right now, there aren't even words.

Feel exactly the same. Durhams my first choice so feel really down... Have phoned my academic supervisor, the department, the university and have sent emails and am getting nowhere! At least I'm at work to distract me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending