The Student Room Group

Spanish A* phrases?

I've recently seen a French A* phrases thread and I'm going to be doing a written assessment on Spanish soon. What are some A* techniques or phrases I can use in my upcoming assessments? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
GCSE, I'm presuming?

Try and slip in tenses like the conditional and maybe use a few more difficult sentence structures? Pronouns are quite good but I can't remember if you learn how to do that at GCSE. Using a few irregular verbs like dar and decir correctly should score you a few brownie points, too.

It's been a while since I did Spanish GCSE so I can't remember a great deal off the top of my head right now, but feel free to pm me if you need any advice, I think I still have a lot of my GCSE and AS stuff lying around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by skoav
GCSE, I'm presuming?

Try and slip in tenses like the conditional and maybe use a few more difficult sentence structures? Pronouns are quite good but I can't remember if you learn how to do that at GCSE. Using a few irregular verbs like dar and decir correctly should score you a few brownie points, too.

It's been a while since I did Spanish GCSE so I can't remember a great deal off the top of my head right now, but feel free to pm me if you need any advice, I think I still have a lot of my GCSE and AS stuff lying around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I will definitely pm you if I'm stuck on anything, plus what exam board did u do AS Spanish on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Ben4
Thank you! I will definitely pm you if I'm stuck on anything, plus what exam board did u do AS Spanish on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA for AS, WJEC for GCSE c:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Ben4
I've recently seen a French A* phrases thread and I'm going to be doing a written assessment on Spanish soon. What are some A* techniques or phrases I can use in my upcoming assessments? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

in my writing i got 1 of an A* but this was due to some errors i find the most useful phrase is "cuando sea mayor, me gustaria... " ( or any conditional tense verb )

(when i am older i would like...)

it get's 2 more difficult tenses in easily and after the conditional you could have a future tense i believe :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Subjunctive tense is also highly regarded and students who use it correctly will most likely find themselves in the top band of achievers.

e.g

Cuando sea...

Es imprescindible que haya...

Me gustaría que hubiera....
Reply 7
Original post by skoav
AQA for AS, WJEC for GCSE c:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, I was thinking of doing it but the exam board is EDEXCEL I've heard it's a massive jump from gcse. How was it for you?

And thank you everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Subjunctive tense is also highly regarded and students who use it correctly will most likely find themselves in the top band of achievers.

e.g

Cuando sea...

Es imprescindible que haya...

Me gustaría que hubiera....

This, definitely. You're not expected to know how to use the subjunctive but if you can slip it in the examiners will be very impressed.

Also mechanisms are quite good, like "estudio español desde hace seis años" - I've been learning Spanish for six years (action in present tense + desde hace + time). You could also say it "llevo seis años estudiando español" (llevar in present tense + time + action in gerund) which is a bit harder to remember, but it's an idiom so examiners like it.

Original post by Ben4
Oh okay, I was thinking of doing it but the exam board is EDEXCEL I've heard it's a massive jump from gcse. How was it for you?

And thank you everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is a huge jump and it can be a little overwhelming at times, but it's really rewarding as you begin to develop a real understanding of the language that you don't get at GCSE. I'd definitely recommend it if you enjoy Spanish, just be prepared for a lot of hard work! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by skoav
This, definitely. You're not expected to know how to use the subjunctive but if you can slip it in the examiners will be very impressed.

Also mechanisms are quite good, like "estudio español desde hace seis años" - I've been learning Spanish for six years (action in present tense + desde hace + time). You could also say it "llevo seis años estudiando español" (llevar in present tense + time + action in gerund) which is a bit harder to remember, but it's an idiom so examiners like it.

It is a huge jump and it can be a little overwhelming at times, but it's really rewarding as you begin to develop a real understanding of the language that you don't get at GCSE. I'd definitely recommend it if you enjoy Spanish, just be prepared for a lot of hard work! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard all the speaking and writing assessments are no longer the same process as at GCSE. You don't memorise, is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Ben4
I've heard all the speaking and writing assessments are no longer the same process as at GCSE. You don't memorise, is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure about edexcel but that's definitely true for AQA, and I imagine they're probably similar. You do two exams, a speaking and a written paper which is the reading, listening and writing all rolled into one.

You can't just learn and recite paragraphs like you can at GCSE, but you'll know at least one of the topics you'll discuss in the speaking, so you are able to prepare. You do pretty much stumble into to written exam blind, though, you won't know what's on there at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending