The Student Room Group

which is least worst, Norfolk or Essex accent??

Poll

which accent is better ??

Basically ... I'm from Suffolk. There doesn't seem to be many stereotypes of Suffolk people and peoples accents seem to either sound Norfolkesque or Essexesque depending on which end we're from. But which is the better, or least worst accent to have out of the two ?? I think I sound more norfolkesque than essexesque ... I don't particularly like sounding like a farmer, but because of the stereotypes of Essex folk, especially with the help of TOWIE, a Norfolk accent might be preferable ??
Reply 1
You're saying it as if the Essex accent isn't attractive?
I'm proud of my Norfolk accent.

Depending on where I am in the country people either think I'm really posh, or that I'm a farmer. It's quite strange buh!
Reply 3
I'm from Suffolk and I don't really have an accent. Some people's are almost unintelligible though.
Reply 4
Original post by Delboy1
You're saying it as if the Essex accent isn't attractive?
I don't particularly want to sound like Joey Essex !!! There's nothing wrong with the people, I just don't want to sound like them.
Reply 5
Norfolk is least worse by a million miles. Although apart from the very strong essex accents, I actually don't think either are that bad!
Reply 6
Original post by Sir Killalot
I'm proud of my Norfolk accent.

Depending on where I am in the country people either think I'm really posh, or that I'm a farmer. It's quite strange buh!
Again, there's nothing wrong the people, I just don't like talking like a farmer. It's really hard convincing people you're not a farmer by saying "I don't talk that much like a farmer" when I say that sentence and particularly the word 'farmer' in the most farmerish way possible.

Original post by alow
I'm from Suffolk and I don't really have an accent. Some people's are almost unintelligible though.
People from outside of east Anglia have never guessed i'm from Suffolk, most guess Norfolk and a couple have guessed Essex !!!
Reply 7
Original post by nic-nac
I don't particularly want to sound like Joey Essex !!! There's nothing wrong with the people, I just don't want to sound like them.

Mine is not too strong but i'm still offended
Reply 8
Original post by Delboy1
Mine is not too strong but i'm still offended
I'm sure you're a lovely person. I'm offended when people think I talk like a farmer !! I do try and talk 'properly' especially now I've moved out of east Anglia. But there's just some words/phrases I can only say in a farmerish way.
Reply 9
Colchester in North Essex has a real mix of accents, depending on the age/background of the person. Younger people generally tend to use estuary english, whereas the elderly sound a lot more rustic.
The informal working class accents of the two counties are both terrible but that's with all places. It's all about how the people present themselves and speak, not really the accent.
Reply 11
Original post by und3niable_
The informal working class accents of the two counties are both terrible but that's with all places. It's all about how the people present themselves and speak, not really the accent.
You say that, but I love most other accents. I think it's a case of wanting what you haven't got.
Reply 12
You do realise that no one in TOWIE has an Essex "accent" right? They're all cockney's. There is no such thing as the "Essex accent", only that of a southern accent and that also depends on how well you were taught to speak. Most people who talk properly from Essex you can't guess where they're from at all, just 'the south'. What the media tries to spin as Essex, Essex accents and people from Essex are all in fact cockney's from East London. A lot of the cockney's left London after the war and the rest have been pushed out by mass immigration so now Essex has every East Londoner there changing the stereotype of Essex. If you talk to a normal person from Essex which is obvious none of you ever have, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and those from Surrey, Kent, Portsmouth or anywhere else in the south. The ignorance surrounding Essex grows by the day.
Neither are that bad- there's kind of something I like about the "Essex" accent though I hate TOWIE and the culture displayed on it.
Original post by nic-nac
Basically ... I'm from Suffolk. There doesn't seem to be many stereotypes of Suffolk people and peoples accents seem to either sound Norfolkesque or Essexesque depending on which end we're from. But which is the better, or least worst accent to have out of the two ?? I think I sound more norfolkesque than essexesque ... I don't particularly like sounding like a farmer, but because of the stereotypes of Essex folk, especially with the help of TOWIE, a Norfolk accent might be preferable ??

Hi fellow Suffolk person. I think I'd prefer the essex accent than Norfolk because I would just a broad Norfolk accent is difficult to understand and not particularly nice. You can hear some very strong Suffolk accents, tends to be older people and sounds similar to Norfolk.

Here's a strong Suffolk accent. http://www.anorak.co.uk/340086/tv/doris-son-recalls-the-great-storm-of-1987-in-ipswich-audio.html/
Reply 15
Essex is atrocious. Lots of people at my Uni are from there and they sound so bad.
The Essex accent is so horrendous that it sounds more like a symptom of brain damage rather than an accent
Reply 17
Lots of very clever people have come from Essex. The county's associated with cheerful upward mobility.
Norfolk is associated with incest or unholy alliances between man and turkey. I'm just saying.
Reply 18
Regional accents are awesome. London accents are awful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending