The Student Room Group

Advice On Essay Structure

Hi,

So I have to write an essay for homework for English.

The essay question is: Compare the way the relationship between adults and children is portrayed in both poems.

The poems that we are using for the essay is Nettles and Born Yesterday.

Which essay structure is better to use:

1. Compare both poems during each paragraph.

2. Have a paragraph about each poem and then a final paragraph about comparisons that we came make.

Advice is needed, thanks! :smile:
The fact of the matter is that there is no single best essay structure. As long as you tick the boxes for the band criteria and the essay makes sense, you'll get the marks. However, the key word in the question is "Compare" and if you write the first half about poem A and the second half about poem B, comparing them is going to be very difficult because you're going to be wanting to make constant comparisons. I would always write a paragraph about a technique used in poem A, then say how poem B uses this technique or uses a different technique to achieve a similar affect and continue in that manner, summing up the comparisons in the conclusion. You absolutely do not want to put your comparisons in the conclusion. You want to make all of your comparisons in the main body. The conclusion is exactly what it sounds like: you conclude the comparisons and statements you've already made.
Reply 2
Ok, that makes sense, I thought that was the best option.

I was going to ask my teacher but he is rather uninspiring and had a massive go at my class today for the apparent 'lack' of effort we put into our work. So I'm trying to pull out all the stocks for this essay! :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
The fact of the matter is that there is no single best essay structure. As long as you tick the boxes for the band criteria and the essay makes sense, you'll get the marks. However, the key word in the question is "Compare" and if you write the first half about poem A and the second half about poem B, comparing them is going to be very difficult because you're going to be wanting to make constant comparisons. I would always write a paragraph about a technique used in poem A, then say how poem B uses this technique or uses a different technique to achieve a similar affect and continue in that manner, summing up the comparisons in the conclusion. You absolutely do not want to put your comparisons in the conclusion. You want to make all of your comparisons in the main body. The conclusion is exactly what it sounds like: you conclude the comparisons and statements you've already made.

What would be the best way to structure the introduction?

Like should I explain what each poem discusses?
Original post by GCSEBen
What would be the best way to structure the introduction?

Like should I explain what each poem discusses?

Firstly, introductions don't need to be long. A few sentences max. Secondly, if you have difficulty writing introductions, it's not a bad idea to write it after you've done the essay. All you essentially have to do is introduce the topic you're writing about, and then just mention the techniques used in both poems. You're essentially telling the reader what they're going to learn about.

Quick Reply

Latest