The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Coral Reafs
which link are you talking about?

dw i misread your comment haha :P
Original post by ChemApp
ah well done! when did you hear from them and when did you send off your application? have you finished your A2s?

sent mid october, heard on the 25th of november.

yeh i finished my A2s.

You can find me on the Chemistry applicants page 2014 http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/chemistry_applicants_2014
Reply 842
Original post by CJG21
Beast it.

I don't know how to but sure i guess that's the only way to go ahahaha
theCreator

Roarmaster

UNCONDITIONAL from UCL :biggrin: :colone: :evilbanana: :party:

Congratulations!!! :biggrin: (Have you finished your A2's?)

Congratulations!:cool::biggrin: What a beast! From UCL too! Is it your definite firm?
Original post by theCreator
Congratulations!!! :biggrin: (Have you finished your A2's?)

yeh bro, im on the same chem applicants page as you are so feel free to check that out :biggrin: :colone:

Original post by Roarmaster
Congratulations!:cool::biggrin: What a beast! From UCL too! Is it your definite firm?

most likely maybe, I might have to reconsider if Imperial have something nice to say :biggrin:
most likely maybe, I might have to reconsider if Imperial have something nice to say :biggrin:

I would, without hesitation, pick Imperial over UCL. However, that's me and I personally feel they have a much stronger department.
I would, without hesitation, pick Imperial over UCL. However, that's me and I personally feel they have a much stronger department.

Yeah bro, I don't doubt that for a minute. However, so many bad things have been said about Imperial. It does have very good facilities and all that, but I've heard from current students, there is minimal help, and it's basically like self-studying the material, as the tutors are more concerned about their own research rather than actually putting effort into teaching.

Spoiler

Reply 849
Original post by Thisisthened
Just wondering is nobody considering the likes of Southampton, Sussex, Warwick etc? From the likes of this thread most of the country wants to go to UCL, Imperial or Oxford :lol:

LOLOL I applied to Southampton, and got an invitation to a pre-offer visit day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah bro, I don't doubt that for a minute. However, so many bad things have been said about Imperial. It does have very good facilities and all that, but I've heard from current students, there is minimal help, and it's basically like self-studying the material, as the tutors are more concerned about their own research rather than actually putting effort into teaching.

Spoiler

That does sound like it could be quite detrimental to students but I would still pick it purely because I don't intend to do Chemistry into my future, I just want a brand name from the University that I go to :P Hope that doesn't offend anyone here
That does sound like it could be quite detrimental to students but I would still pick it purely because I don't intend to do Chemistry into my future, I just want a brand name from the University that I go to :P Hope that doesn't offend anyone here

Hehehe, Brand names are useless if a student gets 2:2 or lower. :rofl:

Theres a person I know with a 3rd in Maths for Cambridge and is struggling to find anything now. Despite having the "Cambridge" name behind them.

4 years of hell trying to get a 2:1, is not worth it if a 1st can be achieved with consistent hard work mixed with a bit of play, makes the "experience" more enjoyable don't you reckon :cool:
Hehehe, Brand names are useless if a student gets 2:2 or lower. :rofl:

Theres a person I know with a 3rd in Maths for Cambridge and is struggling to find anything now. Despite having the "Cambridge" name behind them.

4 years of hell trying to get a 2:1, is not worth it if a 1st can be achieved with consistent hard work mixed with a bit of play, makes the "experience" more enjoyable don't you reckon :cool:

That is very true haha and it truly depends what type of person you are! I am very much an independent learner so I think I would like Imperial study however I also like to relax... a lot so I think UCL would also be very, very good as they have a wide variety of people with LOTS of sports clubs and societies etc. Imperial do have a free gym that is EXTREMELY tempting
That is very true haha and it truly depends what type of person you are! I am very much an independent learner so I think I would like Imperial study however I also like to relax... a lot so I think UCL would also be very, very good as they have a wide variety of people with LOTS of sports clubs and societies etc. Imperial do have a free gym that is EXTREMELY tempting

But does the free gym outweigh potentially having to pretty much self teach some very fiddly bits of chemistry? I wouldn't like to have to teach myself kinetics - okay, so I had to do that in first year, because I struggled to understand the lecturer, but I wouldnt like to do the same with say, statistical thermodynamics...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by .snowflake.
But does the free gym outweigh potentially having to pretty much self teach some very fiddly bits of chemistry? I wouldn't like to have to teach myself kinetics - okay, so I had to do that in first year, because I struggled to understand the lecturer, but I wouldnt like to do the same with say, statistical thermodynamics...

I suppose so, but I have had to self teach myself from GCSE because the school I come from is SO bad. I feel like I am prepared, anyway, I have time to decide and if UCL don't give me an offer and Imperial do then I have to go anyway. If they both give me offers, I've got a hard decision to make :/
I suppose so, but I have had to self teach myself from GCSE because the school I come from is SO bad. I feel like I am prepared, anyway, I have time to decide and if UCL don't give me an offer and Imperial do then I have to go anyway. If they both give me offers, I've got a hard decision to make :/

Definitely have a chat with people from both uni's if that happens. If you live in a big city, see if you can find Clayden/ Atkins/ Housecroft and Sharpe in the local library, and have a bit of a flick.

Tbh self teaching GCSE isnt hard, I got A*/A's in the physics modules just by using bitesize :tongue:
Original post by Nitrogen
Tbh self teaching GCSE isnt hard, I got A*/A's in the physics modules just by using bitesize :tongue:

Self teaching myself C1, C2, S1 and M1 within one academic year as well as 2 bio and 2 chem modules and getting 3A's at AS seems a BIT harder than GCSE's :P
Self teaching myself C1, C2, S1 and M1 within one academic year as well as 2 bio and 2 chem modules and getting 3A's at AS seems a BIT harder than GCSE's :P

Haha well that is impressive. Im not really interested in being a chemist after the degree, so the uni brand name is quite important for me too. I'd personally go to Imperial, but UCL is great too.
Original post by Nitrogen
Haha well that is impressive. Im not really interested in being a chemist after the degree, so the uni brand name is quite important for me too. I'd personally go to Imperial, but UCL is great too.

have u heard back from UCL??

I got in btw :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending