The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I wouldn't say it's the hardest degree as that's very subjective. Certainly the most competitive practice for a university placement especially at the more prestigious universities.
Reply 2
It definitely is one of the hardest to get into in terms of entry requirements, but these days I would say it is not the most prestigious, as it seems that everyone wants to do it for some reason.
Reply 3
If you want to find stats, I'm sure you can google applicant to place ratio. There are loads of medical school places each year in the UK, and the level of competition depends on which University you apply to.

According to this page, LSE has the highest average applicant-to-place ratio and it doesn't even offer Medicine, so it's safe to say that statistically speaking, medicine isn't top of the list... http://azeryouth.org/index.php/articles/3365-Which-the-hardest-university-get-into-Well-that-depends.html

As for prestige, it depends on who you are in terms of what prestige means to you. An art student probably wouldn't find having been to medical school as prestigious as having been to the Slade, for instance...
I'd say a greater number of people could study medicine compared to say Physics.

My girlfriend studied it and she is smart but not super smart (just really hard working).
Reply 5
Posted this in the medicine forum? The answers are goong to be sooooo impartial.

It depends how you define prestigious or hard obviously, but i ithink it quite indisputable to say its the course with the highest minimum standard.
Original post by nexttime
Posted this in the medicine forum? The answers are goong to be sooooo impartial.

It depends how you define prestigious or hard obviously, but i ithink it quite indisputable to say its the course with the highest minimum standard.

That goes without saying, but when you just consider the top universities it isn't academically any more stringent than other stuff is it? Most Econ/NatSci etc courses at good universities are AAA - A*AA range just like medicine.
Reply 7
but why is it then that UCAS only allows 4 options (for med/vet/dent) compared to 5 for others
Reply 8
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Yes, I wouldn't say it's the hardest degree as that's very subjective. Certainly the most competitive practice for a university placement especially at the more prestigious universities.

Competitive = hard?

10 people to 1 place, its gonna be hard for the 10 people to win that place.
Reply 9
Original post by darius12345
That goes without saying, but when you just consider the top universities it isn't academically any more stringent than other stuff is it? Most Econ/NatSci etc courses at good universities are AAA - A*AA range just like medicine.

Yes, but if you're not Russell Group standard in economics, you can go and study it somewhere which doesn't require AAA. For medicine you can't - everywhere wants AAA. So yes, I think the minimum standard is one of the highest out there, though possibly veterinary is higher?

That doesn't, however, mean that I think for one minute that it's the most difficult or most prestigious course going.
Hardest would be very subjective. I think it's definitely one of the most prestigious though.
Reply 11
also is it more profitable than non-vocational degrees?
Original post by solarplexus
Competitive = hard?

10 people to 1 place, its gonna be hard for the 10 people to win that place.

Hardest as in course content. To say it's the most difficult degree to complete is very subjective as Law and Maths degree's are equally as difficult in some cases more difficult. It's the most competitive to get into although.
Is medical school the hardest thing to get into, compared to other degrees including law, engineering or (non-medical) Oxbridge degrees?

Prestigious - society thinks it's prestigious yeah, but once you're actually doing it you realise that "prestige" means very little (if you hadn't already realised that).

Hardest to get into - yeah I'd say it's up there with veterinary medicine.

Hardest degree - not really, it's long and there's a lot to remember but it's not super complicated stuff like quantum physics. You don't need to be a genius (or even close to) to pass the exams.
Reply 14

You are asking questions which you can't really say yes or no to. There is just soo much variation in terms of salary for people with non-vocational degrees.
Reply 15
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Hardest as in course content. To say it's the most difficult degree to complete is very subjective as Law and Maths degree's are equally as difficult in some cases more difficult. It's the most competitive to get into although.

Oh yes, I forgot about Law :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Democracy
Prestigious - society thinks it's prestigious yeah, but once you're actually doing it you realise that "prestige" means very little (if you hadn't already realised that).

Hardest to get into - yeah I'd say it's up there with veterinary medicine.

Hardest degree - not really, it's long and there's a lot to remember but it's not super complicated stuff like quantum physics. You don't need to be a genius (or even close to) to pass the exams.

Are you a medical student?
Are you a medical student?

Yep.
Yes….and that is just opinion.

Vocational healthcare degrees are always going to be more profitable as they restrict entry to a profession, something most professions do post grad. So is medicine more profitable than a law degree on average? All day. More profitable than winning a training contract? Much closer call.

Oh yes, I forgot about Law :tongue:

I do Law, gf did Medicine. Medicine's harder, no question.

Latest

Trending

Trending