The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinasaurus
It says it's for non-selective schools, we just got an email in school, it said the deadline was the 31st of January. The website said it was for non-selective state schools (so not Grammar school).

It's kind of depressing as they say the average successful applicant has 5A*s at GCSE, my school put forward it's top 20 students at GCSE and I think less than half of them have over 5A*s

so can private school students go?
Original post by JackTeh96
so can private school students go?

I'm not sure I think it's mainly for non-selective state schools? So probably the opposite end from private schools.
Reply 7202
Is anyone going to apply for the Oxford Study Days?

Do you have any website links for this? My google searching has found nothing except the info page for this year's study days :s-smilie:
Reply 7203
School has significant flood damage :frown:

Is this linked in with the Summer Schools that my tutor has been talking about:confused: I think I am going to opt for Cambridge though.
Original post by Tibbz2
Does anyone know when we get GCSE certificates?

I got my certificates a couple of weeks ago I think.I was rather disappointed with them with several grades being one sheet etc and the certificates looking very dull.The general certificates that you get for achieving things like this BEC 500 thing which I don't fully understand but I got it are much better layed out and I was expecting the certificates to be at least as good as them.
I have recently got my current A-Level grades and I'm pretty pleased with them but a bit I'm a bit disappointed with Geography but I should be happy because 2 of my current grades are impossilbe to get at AS.-I have mysteriously been given a grade higher for Further Maths than Maths even though I'm doing better in Maths I think.I have got Mechanics now after a struggle in the first couple of weeks but I might have messed up the force exertion stuff with a pulley, which is confusing on my mock.The rest of my mocks will be in January.My current grades are below:
Physics-A*
Further Maths-A*
Maths-A
Geography-B
I think I can get 40/45 if I work ^_^

Applied for Engineering (Economics and Physics as back up choices)
I am! I wanted to do the Economics classes, but unfortunately they are no longer offered at the centre at which the HE+ programme takes place. Think I'm going to do the Politics classes now instead.
hey guys been on planes for 2 days

I'm in Australia.

I don't like it :pierre:
Kind of bull**** that that program is only in some select areas :holmes:
Original post by MangoFreak
hey guys been on planes for 2 days

I'm in Australia.

I don't like it :pierre:

What's wrong?
If it's going on right now I couldn't attend anyway :mmm: Stupid family moving back to Australia :tongue:

I am using the HE+ website now though. It seems to have everything (I imagine it would be nice to actually have a class though).
Busy week over, final week before Christmas holidays :biggrin:
Original post by Bude8
Busy week over, final week before Christmas holidays :biggrin:

:redface:
We're in this week and next week, but no revision over holidays so i dont mind :tongue:
have they given all your mocks before or after Christmas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7216
Can someone help me with this chemistry question please?

Both C3H8 and C4H10 can be liquefied and used as fuels for camping stoves. Suggest, with a reason, which of these two fuels is liquefied more easily.

I though it would be C8H8 since it would have a lower boiling point and so would liquefy easier as the bonds can be broken easier than C4H10.
However the mark scheme says that the answer is C4H0, since it has a high boiling point/ stronger IMF.

Bit confused as to why that would allow it to liquefy more easily.
Original post by skizzle

Both C3H8 and C4H10 can be liquefied and used as fuels for camping stoves. Suggest, with a reason, which of these two fuels is liquefied more easily.

I though it would be C8H8 since it would have a lower boiling point and so would liquefy easier as the bonds can be broken easier than C4H10.
However the mark scheme says that the answer is C4H0, since it has a high boiling point/ stronger IMF.

C4H10 has one more carbon than C3H8, therefore more surface area for London force to act on (intermolecular force), therefore higher boiling point, which means that it is easier to become liquified,
Original post by skizzle

This is from Jan 2013 AQA unit 1 right? I remember this question because I sat the exam.
If this is the case, can you post a picture of the question, I'm sure it came with some data
Reply 7219
Original post by mynameisntbobk
This is from Jan 2013 AQA unit 1 right? I remember this question because I sat the exam.
If this is the case, can you post a picture of the question, I'm sure it came with some data

here you go...

jan13.jpg

Latest