The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by NewtonsApple
Let N=2.

Now, V can take only one value: V=1. This is both the maximum and the minimum possible value of V.

Now, let N=3. Again, V can take only one value: V=4. And again this is both the maximum and minimum value of V.

Whatever expressions you come up for the maximum and minimum values of V must both satisfy max(1)=min(1)=1 and max(2)=min(2)=4.

In the border cases it just comes down to how you define stuff. I think you should get V=|1-2|+|2-1|=2 for the configuration 1,2. Then min2=2 and min3=4, which is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
In the border cases it just comes down to how you define stuff. I think you should get V=|1-2|+|2-1|=2 for the configuration 1,2. Then min2=2 and min3=4, which is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think for n=2 the pairwise difference between two terms yields one modulus sign.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1982
I think for n=2 the pairwise difference between two terms yields one modulus sign.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It comes down to your definition of V. I would think that it's neat to define it as the sum of |a_j - a_(j-1)| over j from 1 to n. The indices are taken modulo n, of course. Do you object to such a definition of V? If you do, what alternative do you propose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you define it that way, which is wrong, then u count each difference twice which gives a wrong answer when n=5,6 etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1984
If you define it that way, which is wrong, then u count each difference twice which gives a wrong answer when n=5,6 etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, no, you misunderstood the purpose of the double-count. Please look at my previous post and see the definition of V that I'm assuming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
Lol, no, you misunderstood the purpose of the double-count. Please look at my previous post and see the definition of V that I'm assuming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you replied quickly. I hadn't seen your post sorry, but yes I still object to it. If you look carefully you can see we posted at the same time :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by souktik

Posted from TSR Mobile

The question explicitly states V is the sum of the positive differences between the heights of two neighbouring dwarves. Your notation is wrong for n=2 I'm afraid. If you used that notation you are changing the question. :tongue: I would recommend finding a universal formula which works for all n. Note the properties of the sums, namely as n increases that V increases. Try out some stuff.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nahomyemane778
I have applied to Balliol.
My insurance shall be Imperial or Warwick.
Yourself?

I'll probably take an insurance to be Imperial or LSE altho I haven't heard from either yet. If I don't get an offer from Oxford I'll stay at Warwick. I applied to Merton cos apparently it has great accommodation provided on campus throughout your time at Oxford, apparently. :eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1988
The question explicitly states V is the sum of the positive differences between the heights of two neighbouring dwarves. Your notation is wrong for n=2 I'm afraid. If you used that notation you are changing the question. :tongue: I would recommend finding a universal formula which works for all n. Note the properties of the sums, namely as n increases that V increases. Try out some stuff.

Then treat n=2 as a crazy boundary case, it holds for all other n.

Posted from TSR Mobile
May I ask how many applicants applied this year altogether for maths and joint schools?

Original post by OxfordMathsDept
Attention obtained!

For Maths and our joint schools (Stats & Phil) it's looking like we're interviewing around 54% of applicants.
Original post by qwertyuiopg
May I ask how many applicants applied this year altogether for maths and joint schools?

We had around 1250 applicants this year.
Reply 1991

Is that for maths, maths and stats, maths and phil and maths and compsci

Thank you very much! Do you know (or are you allowed to tell us) the average mat score for those interviewed?
Thank you very much! Do you know (or are you allowed to tell us) the average mat score for those interviewed?

That information will get released in the general feedback for the MAT some time in January.
That information will get released in the general feedback for the MAT some time in January.

Alright Thanks. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just extremely nervous, since I don't think I did too well in the MAT (only around 60)!
Alright Thanks. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just extremely nervous, since I don't think I did too well in the MAT (only around 60)!

No worries! I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere that, at the end of the day, everyone who has been invited to interview is still in the running.

If you look at last year's MAT stats the average amongst successful applicants was 68.2. That means around half the successful applicants had an MAT lower than that (by definition).

I'm still very impressed that people seem to know their score when we've not released a mark scheme!
Do we find out our 2nd assigned college at the interview?
And also should I revise FP1?
Thanks.
No worries! I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere that, at the end of the day, everyone who has been invited to interview is still in the running.

If you look at last year's MAT stats the average amongst successful applicants was 68.2. That means around half the successful applicants had an MAT lower than that (by definition).

I'm still very impressed that people seem to know their score when we've not released a mark scheme!

Thank you for being so helpful, I think its amazing to have the maths admissions coordinator on tsr to help out!

Was wondering if you could help me out with some queries about the interview process, if possible. As I'm a gap year applicant does that mean I would have to prepare for further maths interview questions, applied mathematics and/or university level questions? I am very grateful for your advice, because I havent mentioned university or applied maths in my personal statement, and I wouldnt want to be caught out! Thank you.
Reply 1998
Thank you for being so helpful, I think its amazing to have the maths admissions coordinator on tsr to help out!

Was wondering if you could help me out with some queries about the interview process, if possible. As I'm a gap year applicant does that mean I would have to prepare for further maths interview questions, applied mathematics and/or university level questions? I am very grateful for your advice, because I havent mentioned university or applied maths in my personal statement, and I wouldnt want to be caught out! Thank you.

It's unlikely, simply for the reason that tutors want to standardise the interviews. They, ideally, want to ask everyone the same questions, so when they score everyone out of 9 on their interview performance, they have a real basis to compare applicants. I applied during a gap year and was worried about what I might get asked, but the interview questions are so far removed from the question you get during A-Level, it was never really relevant.
Original post by Noble.
It's unlikely, simply for the reason that tutors want to standardise the interviews. They, ideally, want to ask everyone the same questions, so when they score everyone out of 9 on their interview performance, they have a real basis to compare applicants. I applied during a gap year and was worried about what I might get asked, but the interview questions are so far removed from the question you get during A-Level, it was never really relevant.

Noble will the interview be: brief greeting then maths problems?

I really dont want there to be much chitchat like
Why do you want to study maths? You mentioned this in your PS... etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending