The Student Room Group

Novel suggestions (Help!)

I'm studying English Literature and for my coursework, I have to compare 3 novels ('Othello' by Shakespeare being the core text); meaning that I need 2 other novels to compare it with. The theme is obsessive/revengeful love but I can't think of any other novels that would be strong enough to compare against 'Othello'; it's a play about a man who is so obsessed with his wife, and then is told that she is having an affair so he revenges her by murdering her.

Does anyone have any ideas?

- I was thinking 'The Great Gatsby' could be one of my novels as it features a lot of obsessive love, but does anyone know any other good romance novels that has any of those themes?
u wanna know wat i think about the great gatsby? check out my thread on it
Reply 2
Original post by wag12k12dunkno
u wanna know wat i think about the great gatsby? check out my thread on it

It is a **** book, I hated it, a lot. However, it's the only book I can think of that deals with obsessive love.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by danataher
It is a **** book, I hated it, a lot. However, it's the only book I can think of that deals with obsessive love.

u want obessive love why not study the bible
Reply 4
Original post by wag12k12dunkno
u want obessive love why not study the bible

Because I'm too lazy.
Because I'm too lazy.

ur degree not mine
Reply 6
I think these are all quite good on the subject of obsessive love;

Lolito by Ben Brooks,
Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami,
...And the Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks by William S. Burroughs and Jack Kerouac,
Save Me The Waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald,
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway,
The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman.
Enduring Love by Ian McEwan is the one that instantly springs to mind.
Reply 8
Original post by Tochai
I think these are all quite good on the subject of obsessive love;

Lolito by Ben Brooks,
Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami,
...And the Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks by William S. Burroughs and Jack Kerouac,
Save Me The Waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald,
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway,
The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman.

I have (unfortunately) never heard of any of those books! I'll definitely check them out, thank you!

Original post by foreverinfinite
Enduring Love by Ian McEwan is the one that instantly springs to mind.

Oh how could I forget! I read that novel last year, it is definitely obsessive! Thank you for reminding me :biggrin:
Lolita by Nabokov?
I'm doing English Lit and for the coursework I looked at Materialism in Antony and Cleopatra, Great Gatsby and The Road. We were given the first two texts and had to choose a third and a theme.
I'd recommend for obsession/compulsion The Collector by John Fowles. It's the main theme of the book.
If you need any extra help just let me know, I've finished and think I've done pretty well :smile:
EDIT: I should also point out that it's recommended that all three books are part of the literary canon, not just any old books you like.
EDIT 2: The Collector isn't technically a romance, but... Well, it's got love as a main theme and also having two love novels is a pretty bad idea anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by StarvingAutist
Lolita by Nabokov?

I actually really wanted to read it, but my teacher told me that it's too disturbing, so she put me off. However, I honestly believe it's one of those books that every literature student should read, so I'll try to get a copy from somewhere - they don't sell it where I live (in Dubai) because it's too controversial.

Original post by Tom_green_day
I'm doing English Lit and for the coursework I looked at Materialism in Antony and Cleopatra, Great Gatsby and The Road. We were given the first two texts and had to choose a third and a theme.
I'd recommend for obsession/compulsion The Collector by John Fowles. It's the main theme of the book.
If you need any extra help just let me know, I've finished and think I've done pretty well :smile:
EDIT: I should also point out that it's recommended that all three books are part of the literary canon, not just any old books you like.
EDIT 2: The Collector isn't technically a romance, but... Well, it's got love as a main theme and also having two love novels is a pretty bad idea anyway.

I was given Othello and told to find 2 other books that would link haha! I've come across The Collector (it's on the suggested reading list), and it definitely does fit in with the theme of obsession, but it seems too depressing :rolleyes: But I should read it, so I will :smile:
I actually really wanted to read it, but my teacher told me that it's too disturbing, so she put me off. However, I honestly believe it's one of those books that every literature student should read, so I'll try to get a copy from somewhere - they don't sell it where I live (in Dubai) because it's too controversial.

Yeah definitely read it :smile: don't let your teacher put you off!
I'm studying English Literature and for my coursework, I have to compare 3 novels ('Othello' by Shakespeare being the core text); meaning that I need 2 other novels to compare it with. The theme is obsessive/revengeful love but I can't think of any other novels that would be strong enough to compare against 'Othello'; it's a play about a man who is so obsessed with his wife, and then is told that she is having an affair so he revenges her by murdering her.

Does anyone have any ideas?

- I was thinking 'The Great Gatsby' could be one of my novels as it features a lot of obsessive love, but does anyone know any other good romance novels that has any of those themes?

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
musical Phantom of the Opera comes to mind..
Hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by StarvingAutist
Yeah definitely read it :smile: don't let your teacher put you off!

I will, thank you!
Reply 15
Original post by rahulchopra
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
musical Phantom of the Opera comes to mind..
Hope this helps and good luck!

I'm reading Wuthering Heights atm, so I'll see :smile: I've come across the other two (they're on the suggested reading list) so I'll hopefully read them over Christmas. Thanks :smile:
Original post by euphrosyne
I'm reading Wuthering Heights atm, so I'll see :smile: I've come across the other two (they're on the suggested reading list) so I'll hopefully read them over Christmas. Thanks :smile:

Any time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending