The Student Room Group

Multiple arrests as hundreds of student protesters clash with police in central Londo

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/multiple-arrests-as-hundreds-of-student-protesters-clash-with-police-in-central-london-8988442.html

The students intentions were not to hold a peaceful protest. The police did a bloody good job!

ULU president Michael Chessum told the Independent: “The atmosphere has been angry, it’s been vibrant.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

‘Cops off Campus’

You're kidding me, they're demonstrating against Police action after their previous demonstration? This is like Taken 2 all over again.
Reply 2
Original post by Snagprophet
‘Cops off Campus’

You're kidding me, they're demonstrating against Police action after their previous demonstration? This is like Taken 2 all over again.

Indeed. They were pretty much begging for a fight.
Reply 3
Three officers suffered minor injuries during the demonstration
Original post by the mezzil
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/multiple-arrests-as-hundreds-of-student-protesters-clash-with-police-in-central-london-8988442.html

The students intentions were not to hold a peaceful protest. The police did a bloody good job!

Who did you get this quote from? What were the scenes like - did you see much fighting? How many police would you say were present? The report says that there was an 'angry atmosphere' - was this something you noticed and was it present from the start of the protest?
Reply 5
Original post by InnerTemple
Who did you get this quote from? What were the scenes like - did you see much fighting? How many police would you say were present? The report says that there was an 'angry atmosphere' - was this something you noticed and was it present from the start of the protest?

ULU president Michael Chessum told the Independent: “The atmosphere has been angry, it’s been vibrant.

Evidence is there. Even the student union representative states it was.

I know... But if you could answer the other questions?

Or are you unable to because you were not there?

If you weren't there, then you have no basis on which to chat your **** and butt lick the cops.
Reply 8
Original post by InnerTemple
I know... But if you could answer the other questions?

Or are you unable to because you were not there?

I don't need to have been there just to know it occurred.

By your logic WW2 didn't happen because I wasn't born in that time period.
Reply 9
Original post by Extremotroph
If you weren't there, then you have no basis on which to chat your **** and butt lick the cops.

That is the stupidest argument I've ever come across. "you weren't there you don't know what happened". - I wasn't there during the holocaust, I still know it happened.

Use your brain, we have non-fictional literature for a reason
That is the stupidest argument I've ever come across. "you weren't there you don't know what happened". - I wasn't there during the holocaust, I still know it happened.

Use your brain, we have non-fictional literature for a reason

My argument is that unless you witnessed the event with your own eyes, you have no basis on which to make meaningful comments. Any comments you do make will not be in line with the truth (reality) since you did not experience the event in your reality (your life), however what you did experience is words on a computer screen describing such a reality (a news article).

Tell me, how do you know that these words on the computer screen are an accurate reflection of reality?
Reply 11
My argument is that unless you witnessed the event with your own eyes, you have no basis on which to make meaningful comments. Any comments you do make will not be in line with the truth (reality) since you did not experience the event in your reality (your life), however what you did experience is words on a computer screen describing such a reality (a news article).

Tell me, how do you know that these words on the computer screen are an accurate reflection of reality?

I did see them with my own eyes - Photographs and videos helped my understanding of the literature brought before my eyes.

I sense you are a holocaust denier - "unless you witnessed the event with your own eyes, you have no basis on which to make meaningful comments" - so I guess this goes for all historians, and in fact anyone who makes a judgement on something they weren't directly involved in. How absurd.

I'm not going to answer your question until you withdraw your absurd view that to have an opinion on something then you have to of been there. If not it is not a "meaningful comment".
I did see them with my own eyes - Photographs and videos helped my understanding of the literature brought before my eyes.

I sense you are a holocaust denier - "unless you witnessed the event with your own eyes, you have no basis on which to make meaningful comments" - so I guess this goes for all historians, and in fact anyone who makes a judgement on something they weren't directly involved in. How absurd.

I'm not going to answer your question until you withdraw your absurd view that to have an opinion on something then you have to of been there. If not it is not a "meaningful comment".

Ah I thought my suspicions about you were correct. You are one of them.

Photographs and videos are not equatable to seeing the event with your own eyes. What you are essentially saying is that Television is an acceptable substitute for reality. Is this something you agree with?

I do not think it is right for you to call me a Holocaust denier, in fact it just re-affirms what you are. While I don't consider myself a Holocaust denier, I am certainly not a gullible fool to believe everything I'm told as the absolute truth of reality. I am not like you.

Any good Historian must know his limitations when attempting to ascertain the reality of the past. You do not even recognise my argument as a limitation towards finding truth. This means you are not interested in finding truth, rather, you will bend reality (and outright pathologically lie) in order to impose your "truth" (read, brainwashed opinion) on the world.

That I know exactly what you are means I must also know that you are not capable of open minded discussion. I don't argue for you. I argue to defend my irrefutable point that, if you haven't witnessed the event with your own eyes, you have no idea what you're talking about, therefore your opinion is automatically worthless.
Reply 13
Ah I thought my suspicions about you were correct. You are one of them.

Photographs and videos are not equatable to seeing the event with your own eyes. What you are essentially saying is that Television is an acceptable substitute for reality. Is this something you agree with?

I do not think it is right for you to call me a Holocaust denier, in fact it just re-affirms what you are. While I don't consider myself a Holocaust denier, I am certainly not a gullible fool to believe everything I'm told as the absolute truth of reality. I am not like you.

Any good Historian must know his limitations when attempting to ascertain the reality of the past. You do not even recognise my argument as a limitation towards finding truth. This means you are not interested in finding truth, rather, you will bend reality (and outright pathologically lie) in order to impose your "truth" (read, brainwashed opinion) on the world.

That I know exactly what you are means I must also know that you are not capable of open minded discussion. I don't argue for you. I argue to defend my irrefutable point that, if you haven't witnessed the event with your own eyes, you have no idea what you're talking about, therefore your opinion is automatically worthless.

Okay, cool. That is your opinion and I respect that. Im not going to offer you a worthy reply because to be frank your position is absurd. Its like lib/lab/ con being told their economic policies are crap by the monster raving loney party. Ill continue with my history degree knowing that any conclusions I or anyone else makes is actually incorrect and worthless because I was never there. Thankyou for your enlightening and superior point.

As you say, I am one of them. (Whatever that means)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Okay, cool. That is your opinion and I respect that. Im not going to offer you a worthy reply because to be frank your position is absurd. Its like lib/lab/ con being told their economic policies are crap by the monster raving loney party. Ill continue with my history degree knowing that any conclusions I or anyone else makes is actually incorrect and worthless because I was never there. Thankyou for your enlightening and superior point.

As you say, I am one of them. (Whatever that means)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't argue because you can't even comprehend what I'm saying.
Reply 15
There is a tiny island in the South Pacific for all the people who care.

For London, this is an everyday protest. Tomorrow, there will probably be something similar by the Azerbaijani Women's Weasel Hunting Society in Leicester Square.

As for "hundreds of students" - what a joke. More like a few dozen troublemakers rounded up from various dives. There are more people round the back of Bloomsbury Theatre every Wednesday lunchtime waiting for the buses to the sports.
Reply 16
Michael Chessum is a complete joke.
Reply 17
Original post by Clip
There is a tiny island in the South Pacific for all the people who care.

For London, this is an everyday protest. Tomorrow, there will probably be something similar by the Azerbaijani Women's Weasel Hunting Society in Leicester Square.

As for "hundreds of students" - what a joke. More like a few dozen troublemakers rounded up from various dives. There are more people round the back of Bloomsbury Theatre every Wednesday lunchtime waiting for the buses to the sports.

I've been gearing up for that all week
It's ridiculous they're protesting over seeing an edited video of a Policeman punching a protester. That's not the best evidence really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending