The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, Durham, St Andrews, UCL, Warwick, Bath, Exeter, Lancaster,
York, St Andrews, Surrey, Loughborough, Bristol, Leicester, Birmingham, KCL, UEA, Southampton, Edinburgh
Newcastle, Glasgow, Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Aston, Kent, Queen's Belfast, Royal Holloway,
Sussex, Leeds, SOAS, St George's, Cardiff, Queen Mary, Reading, Liverpool, Essex

These are the worthy institutions in the UK
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 141
well the retards need to go to uni too, even if it's a **** one
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by smd4std
will the retards need to go to uni too, even if it's a **** one

Dolan pls. Y u do dis?

Lol at the replies on this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143
Original post by honeyandlemon
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, Durham, St Andrews, UCL, Warwick, Bath, Exeter, Lancaster,
York, St Andrews, Surrey, Loughborough, Bristol, Leicester, Birmingham, KCL, UEA, Southampton,
Newcastle, Glasgow, Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Aston, Kent, Queen's Belfast, Royal Holloway,
Sussex, Leeds, SOAS, St George's, Cardiff, Queen Mary, Reading, Liverpool, Essex

Edinburgh?
Original post by nohomo
Edinburgh?

Yep sorry *edit* Maybe I've missed a few others. But this is the general gist.
Please do tell us further how to go about crashing the education and interlinking economy of the country too. :pierre:
Yep sorry *edit* Maybe I've missed a few others. But this is the general gist.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather go to Aberdeen than Essex, Kent, Aston, SOAS, etc. :s-smilie:
Well clearly whichever university you're attending has failed to teach you any form of critical thinking, so we'll start with wherever you're studying, OP.
Over 100 universities in the UK and only about 40 or so are prestigious. What is the point of all of these awful institutions?

I can see your logic but I would propose a different idea - a 2 tiered system similar to that of the red brick/poly

University - top 20 - 30 institutions

Further Education college (old school Poly) or some new name - other institutions

This would allow employees to prioritise the most rigorous degrees from the thousands of courses available.

A generation ago simply having a degree would guarantee a good career - however now the job market is saturated and employers often set blanket standards like a 2.1 regardless of degree difficulty.

Nobody can argue that a 2.2 in Chemistry at Oxford is harder than a 2.1 in Psychology in University West Of England - yet the current system does not recognise that.
Original post by Superunknown17
Another case of university snobbery, seems only to be getting worse on here.

No actually it's not nearly as bad as it was three years ago. Things have much improved since then, when threads such as this were at least a weekly occurrence.
Reply 150
York, St Andrews, Surrey, Loughborough, Bristol, Leicester, Birmingham, KCL, UEA, Southampton, Edinburgh

Would rather go to Heriot-Watt or Newcastle for maths than quite a few of those, but fair enough.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Nobody can argue that a 2.2 in Chemistry at Oxford is harder than a 2.1 in Psychology in University West Of England - yet the current system does not recognise that.

What system are you referring to?
Original post by Smack
What system are you referring to?

What I mentioned in my previous post - this almost universal rule that to qualify for a graduate scheme you need a 2.1 regardless of the institution and subject.
Reply 153

Wait, do you mean the 2.2 chemistry at oxford is harder than the 2.1 psychology at UWE?

Aberdeen
Aberystwyth
University of the Arts, London
Bangor
Bedfordshire (the reason the league tables adjusted their employability measures - Bedford
Birkbeck
Bournemouth (best place in the country for tv production and forensic archaeology)
Bradford (excellent for Pharmacy)
Brighton
Buckingham (private university - so not something you *could* shut down as they don't get government funding)
Chichester (amazingly good student satisfaction and an excellent ex-teacher training college)
Coventry
Cranfield
De Montfort (excellent engineering provision)
Derby (as above)
Dundee (you know they have a medicine school right?)
.....................and that's ignoring all of the excellent teaching focused unis who succeed in educating thousands each year

giving up at D

As I say - you're judging universities based on what YOU want from them not what they offer to other people. Universities that fail to deliver a good education or to attract students or staff can and do close down.

Clearly your missing the point of HIGHER EDUCATION.

I'm assuming you've never even been to any of these so called 'crap' universities and actually spoken to the students who have worked their a** off to get there, some of whom have no one in their family that have been to university or they may not have had any support to get to higher education or even consider it.

Do some research and then post don't be so ignorant.

Maybe the university you went to should get shut down because clearly you have a lot to learn.
Original post by A-Dog
Wait, do you mean the 2.2 chemistry at oxford is harder than the 2.1 psychology at UWE?

Well yes....
What I mentioned in my previous post - this almost universal rule that to qualify for a graduate scheme you need a 2.1 regardless of the institution and subject.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Interestingly, there was recently a very similar discussion to this, and my response to it still stands: if employers genuinely gave a damn then such a system wouldn't exist. And in reality it doesn't really, in terms of the total numbers of jobs available to university graduates, graduate schemes are only a small proportion of them.

For a Times 100, Law, Accountancy etc. graduate scheme. Which also usually include an official AAB/ABB at A Level requirement, and an unofficial bias towards certain universities (which oddly often manifests itself nakedly when you get rec-coned after you finish the scheme, when it probably actually matters less).

Given those A Levels restrict it to people from such unis in the main anyway, and SMEs don't really care about prestige anywhere near as much judging from friends who work in them, why change the system?
Original post by kingkongkaks
Clearly your missing the point of HIGHER EDUCATION.

I'm assuming you've never even been to any of these so called 'crap' universities and actually spoken to the students who have worked their a** off to get there, some of whom have no one in their family that have been to university or they may not have had any support to get to higher education or even consider it.

I can see why your upset - but this is the case for the higher universities too (me being one) but having a partner who studied at a less academically respected institute I can safely say that academic achievement was second to lifestyle!

I know this is not true of all students in such higher education establishments - but the contrast been the two was horrifying!

I don't think these alternative universities should be shut - but they should be rebranded so that employers know the quality of the qualification.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending