The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vi_anna
Exactly my point.
Could you please tell me how it goes? I am an international student so I probably can't phone the school myself :frown:
Sadness... I hope it was some kind of administrative error!!

I called and it said the undergrad department is currently closed
& before that they were in a meeting
So freaking frustrating!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Portia1993
So freaking frustrating!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course is this for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2622
So freaking frustrating!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's wrong with them
Anything for IR today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2624
Original post by samd1885
How to approach it... Haha, that's a good question. I think, you just have to be passionate in economics which can be presented in numerous ways. Personally, mine had a large emphasis on various books I have read and what sparked my interest. Also current events that I find very interesting, and that I've read about and looked further into. This is a rather sleep deprived reply, so I'm sorry if there is a lack of coherence and grammatical accuracy... Anyway, obviously your personal statement is very unique, just, if you have passion, and if you are particularly interested in various aspects of economics, convey that as well as you can.

Mine was very academically focused with a brief 'hey, I do other things too' paragraph at the end. Yes, I greatly enjoy various pastimes but that's not why I'm applying to study Economics at university, and neither was it a significant deciding factor in choosing the universities I applied to. So the focus of my personal statement was my great interests in various fields of economics, which books I've read to develop my understanding of those fields, and various thoughts or opinions that I feel are significant in how I view current events and economic theory.

I don't have much advice except to mean what you say, and to say what you're truly passionate in.

Which books did you read? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vi_anna
What's wrong with them

Check your emails - I just had one saying my personal statement let me down.. Funny how Cambridge are interviewing me but LSE think they're far too good for me :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2626
Check your emails - I just had one saying my personal statement let me down.. Funny how Cambridge are interviewing me but LSE think they're far too good for me :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same thing happened me last year - personal statement (although I did find out on UCAS first, just like you).
Reply 2627

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just got an email too!
OMG same here

Oh well
I got accepted to the best uni in S.Korea so
whatever lol

They shall regret this not me
and I must admit that I did write extensively about Philosophy but not enough about Politics... :frown:
See you in Cambridge
Reply 2628
Original post by Theacademic
Got my 5 week email 6 weeks and 4 days ago... still nothing. Has anyone heard from the Economic History department yet?

I have seen one unconditional for Econ History and another offer for Economics and Econ History I believe, (well the one handled by the Econ History department)...

I'm applying for straight Econ History and have received nothing... Currently 5 weeks and 2 days into the 5 week email... very long :frown:
Reply 2629
My sixth lse friday got me a rejection for gov&economics. PS was not "compelling" enough:frown:
Just got the same hun
I'm going to wait for about 25 minutes and if nothing comes through then I'm phoning

Hey, I gather you're a mature student from your username - have you already had your Cambridge interview? What did you apply for?

Sorry I'm going a little off track, I haven't seen a lot of mature applicants on here who have applied to the same Unis as me.
Original post by vi_anna
I just got an email too!
OMG same here

Oh well
I got accepted to the best uni in S.Korea so
whatever lol

They shall regret this not me
and I must admit that I did write extensively about Philosophy but not enough about Politics... :frown:
See you in Cambridge

Sadly I refuse to accept it was my Personal Statement tbh - How many other people that applied (bearing in mind they're mostly 17/ just turning 18) can say they've organised campaigns etc
*sigh*
I speak about politics so much I drive my friends crazy more often than not :')
Alas, Westminster and Queen Mary have accepted me & Westminster offer placements in government and such :3
Every cloud aye!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jessology
Hey, I gather you're a mature student from your username - have you already had your Cambridge interview? What did you apply for?

Sorry I'm going a little off track, I haven't seen a lot of mature applicants on here who have applied to the same Unis as me.

Yeah I am :smile:
Not yet, It's a week today :biggrin: Applied for HSPS but put all of my focus on Politics
How about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ErHi?
I have seen one unconditional for Econ History and another offer for Economics and Econ History I believe, (well the one handled by the Econ History department)...

I'm applying for straight Econ History and have received nothing... Currently 5 weeks and 2 days into the 5 week email... very long :frown:

Oh okay :/ I'm applying for Economics and economic history. I know, this wait is torture! Oh well, I guess no news is still better than a rejection, eh?
Reply 2634
Oh okay :/ I'm applying for Economics and economic history. I know, this wait is torture! Oh well, I guess no news is still better than a rejection, eh?

Haha very true :smile: I just wish they'd stick to a timeframe that they set or just not stipulate a time frame so we're not constantly checking emails around the 5 weeks deadline :/

I would be going crazy by now but I have an offer from UCL which is keeping me quite content! :redface:
Yeah I am :smile:
Not yet, It's a week today :biggrin: Applied for HSPS but put all of my focus on Politics
How about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah awesome! I'm HSPS too, but more focused on Anthropology & Archaeology. I've had my interview already, but I totally bombed (the interviewers were lovely and the questions weren't particularly challenging, I just let my nerves get the better of me and got a tonne of facts mixed up).

Best advice I can give for the interview is try and have confident answers prepared for the really obvious questions (why are you interested in this course? why do you think the social sciences are important?) because I didn't and just had the worst, nonsensical verbal diarrhea. But it's a really fun experience and all the students were so welcoming! Plus the exam (if you're doing one) had really broad questions that didn't require much gained knowledge, more exploration of ideas.

Good luck!!
Just got the strongest in admissions cycle email for management

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jessology
Ah awesome! I'm HSPS too, but more focused on Anthropology & Archaeology. I've had my interview already, but I totally bombed (the interviewers were lovely and the questions weren't particularly challenging, I just let my nerves get the better of me and got a tonne of facts mixed up).

Best advice I can give for the interview is try and have confident answers prepared for the really obvious questions (why are you interested in this course? why do you think the social sciences are important?) because I didn't and just had the worst, nonsensical verbal diarrhea. But it's a really fun experience and all the students were so welcoming! Plus the exam (if you're doing one) had really broad questions that didn't require much gained knowledge, more exploration of ideas.

Good luck!!

Did you have a general interview or a more subject based one?
I haven't been told if mine is one or the other, so I'm silently hoping the fact I study sociology doesn't mean I get a subject based one :P
I've been having a lot of mock ones in my spare time, but I get so anxious I just can't speak haha
Which college did you apply to? :smile:
Original post by ErHi?
Haha very true :smile: I just wish they'd stick to a timeframe that they set or just not stipulate a time frame so we're not constantly checking emails around the 5 weeks deadline :/

I would be going crazy by now but I have an offer from UCL which is keeping me quite content! :redface:

I completely agree, but to be fair, the system has gotten better. In the past there never even used to be these 2-week, 5-week or whatever-week email updates, which sucks!

I have offers but am still going crazy! Want to go to LSE sooo badly...
Reply 2639
I completely agree, but to be fair, the system has gotten better. In the past there never even used to be these 2-week, 5-week or whatever-week email updates, which sucks!

I have offers but am still going crazy! Want to go to LSE sooo badly...

haha yea, I was going through last years thread and they seemed to be in absolute agony waiting until March....

LSE is amazing yea! If I got it I'd be so unsure of what university to firm :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending