The Student Room Group

Concerned about my GCSE grades. Are they good enough?

if I get 5 A*s and 5 A's at GCSE, and I also get 1 D grade, will this lower my chances of getting into a good university massively as they might see this as me not focusing on all my subjects or not being able to manage my time on revision and learning well even though I get A's and A*s in all my other subjects?
Original post by cherrypiez
if I get 5 A*s and 5 A's at GCSE, and I also get 1 D grade, will this lower my chances of getting into a good university massively as they might see this as me not focusing on all my subjects or not being able to manage my time on revision and learning well even though I get A's and A*s in all my other subjects?

Of course not :redface: they would be amazing grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those grades are amazing, stop worrying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks but the D grade would be a huge difference from the other A* grades so won't the mid-top universities think that I can't perform well in everything I do or can't manage my time properly or don't put 100% effort into everything I do? Also don't they compare all applicants' grades?
Reply 4
Thanks but the D grade would be a huge difference from the other A* grades so won't the mid-top universities think that I can't perform well in everything I do or can't manage my time properly or don't put 100% effort into everything I do? Also don't they compare all applicants' grades?

In university you are only study one subject. They'll probably understand because getting good grades in like 10 subjects is very hard! Just work extremely hard for A levels and you should be good
Reply 5
To be fair, part of it also depends on what you get the D grade in. If it's something completely unrelated to what you want to study at university you should be totally fine. I've spoken to some universities about GCSEs and the respones I've had are either they only care about the subjects that are related to your course or they only consider your top 8 grades achieved so I wouldn't worry.

They really won't care about the D grade, unless it's in English or Maths.
Reply 7
Only Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick and maybe UCL and Saint Andrews look at GCSE's for your average degree subject. Unless your applying for medicine, dentistry, veterinary, or other really competitive courses, where GCSE's are important. Most Russell group don't really bother :smile:
It really shouldn't matter. The only way it will is if it's in an important subject, or if it is in a subject that you want to go on to do for A Level.

They're excellent GCSE grades, stop worrying! What is the grade D for?
Reply 10
As long as the D isn't in Eng Lang, Maths or the subject your taking to A level there is no problem at all!

I got an E in the AS I dropped and have 4 offers as of yet :smile: a D at GCSE won't matter unless it's in something like Maths/English Language!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chill out!:smile: One D grade isn't going to matter against those other good grades. GCSE's aren't that important to universities really anyway. As others have said as long as it is not in a subject related to what you want to study at university, or in English or Maths, then you have nothing to worry about..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Guys thank you so much for the info!!!!! OK I need to stop worrying now!! The D grade is for art, which I'm definitely not going to do at university so it should really be fine!! Thanks a lot again!!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Richycush
Only Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick and maybe UCL and Saint Andrews look at GCSE's for your average degree subject. Unless your applying for medicine, dentistry, veterinary, or other really competitive courses, where GCSE's are important. Most Russell group don't really bother :smile:

cambridge don't really care about GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest