The Student Room Group

Does ADHD really exist?

Poll

Is ADHD a real disroder?

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a group of behavioural symptoms that include inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Attention deficit disorder (ADD) is a sub-type of ADHD.
Common symptoms of ADHD include:

a short attention span

restlessness or constant fidgeting

being easily distracted

Creating diagnostic categories for troublesome children tends to remove blame from the failure of parents and schools, and throw responsibility entirely on a fictitious “chemical imbalance” within the child. As Dr. Breggin observes, such an attitude “is good for the business of doctoring and the business of selling drugs. It may make life easier for some parents and teachers. But it is very bad for children.”

Please feel free to do further research on this controversial topic and expressing your feelings towards this by voting on the poll and commenting on this forum:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, but it's been hijacked by lousy parents within the last few years to excuse their bad parenting and explain why their child disrupts classes in school.
Reply 2
Original post by Kiss
Yes, but it's been hijacked by lousy parents within the last few years to excuse their bad parenting and explain why their child disrupts classes in school.

if you dont mind can you vote on the poll as well to express your opinion.:smile: Also, has your opinion been inspired (if thats the right word ) by an experience or something / is that just a general view. Basically, what has led to the formation of your opinion. Thnx:smile:
Original post by lalableh
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a group of behavioural symptoms that include inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Attention deficit disorder (ADD) is a sub-type of ADHD.

a short attention span

being easily distracted

Creating diagnostic categories for troublesome children tends to remove blame from the failure of parents and schools, and throw responsibility entirely on a fictitious “chemical imbalance” within the child. As Dr. Breggin observes, such an attitude “is good for the business of doctoring and the business of selling drugs. It may make life easier for some parents and teachers. But it is very bad for children.”

Please feel free to do further research on this controversial topic and expressing your feelings towards this by voting on the poll and commenting on this forum:smile:

I work with special needs children and my brother is ADHD. So my vote is going to be yes. We were brought up by the same parent and he has significantly higher behavioural problems, not just due to being autistic. Some ADHD cases ARE down to bad parenting though. It's extremely subjective, not clear-cut and difficult to judge
Reply 4
Original post by und3niable_
I work with special needs children and my brother is ADHD. So my vote is going to be yes. We were brought up by the same parent and he has significantly higher behavioural problems, not just due to being autistic. Some ADHD cases ARE down to bad parenting though. It's extremely subjective, not clear-cut and difficult to judge

But the diagnostic criteria doesn't settle too well with me because ADHD is basically based on observation - so leading to the matter of being subjective in a sense and basically hard to be define if the cause is actually a disorder,if you get me ?do you have any thing to say regarding this matter and the issue of ADHD being over diagnosed?
Also, how do you feel regarding the use of drugs for treatment of ADHD ?
Thank you :smile:
But the diagnostic criteria doesn't settle too well with me because ADHD is basically based on observation - so leading to the matter of being subjective in a sense and basically hard to be define if the cause is actually a disorder,if you get me ?do you have any thing to say regarding this matter and the issue of ADHD being over diagnosed?
Also, how do you feel regarding the use of drugs for treatment of ADHD ?
Thank you :smile:

Yeah it's one of those things. And observation is a big flaw in it, but like many mental illnesses or disorders there's a 'Checkbox' one has to fulfil before being diagnosed and it's actually incredibly difficult to actually gain one. My brother showed signs of both ADHD and autism from the age of two and wasn't diagnosed until the age of five. Parents have to be persistent. Many schools try and use it as a reason for Naughty children instead of acknowledging that they just cannot tame them.

I don't particularly agree with them, as the child may become too dependent on the drugs as an adult. It becomes a quick fix which can be over-prescribed. Sleeping tablets; definitely as lack of sleep can affect children's concentration further and it's good to have an established sleep pattern from an early age.
Reply 6
It does exist, of course. But it has been hijacked by parents, as mentioned above. The amount of kids at my high school who teachers were lenient on because they "had ADHD" was shocking, when in reality they were just little ****s who misbehaved and disrupted classes.
Reply 7
ADHD is a very real problem for some kids. Medicating should be an absolute last resort in regards to treating it. Sadly, this is often not the case.
Reply 8
A kid in my class was on ritalin for ADHD and he complained at least once a lesson that he had a headache.
Reply 9
I think so. I also think that a lot of people who don't have it are diagnosed with it, or people's parents say they have it when they don't though
Reply 10
Original post by Mackay
It does exist, of course. But it has been hijacked by parents, .

Original post by beckaroo7
I think so. I also think that a lot of people who don't have it are diagnosed with it, or people's parents say they have it when they don't though

Original post by und3niable_
Yeah it's one of those things. And observation is a big flaw in it, but like many mental illnesses or disorders there's a 'Checkbox' one has to fulfil before being diagnosed and it's actually incredibly difficult to actually gain one. .

To people who have voted that ADHD is not a real disorder, can you please justify your reason.
Also, though many of you agree that ADHD can be misdiagnosed and can be due to bad parenting, do you have any suggestions on what can be done to prevent this ?

a short attention span

being easily distracted

Yes. Both myself a my boyfriend are convinced I have this, but I'm 19 and have learned t deal with it my whole life and work with it, so I don't see the point in getting diagnosed. Plus I'm already on my way to creating my own DSMV-VI with all the **** I already have
Reply 12
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Yes. Both myself a my boyfriend are convinced I have this, but I'm 19 and have learned t deal with it my whole life and work with it, so I don't see the point in getting diagnosed. Plus I'm already on my way to creating my own DSMV-VI with all the **** I already have

So, basically ADHD does exist but is not significant (if thats the right word) to be classed as a disorder? is that what you're trying to say?
Thanks for ur input :smile:
Reply 13
many parents feed their children inappropriately ( instead of nourishing family meals they eat crisps & sweets & burgers etc, washed down with a toxic mix of energy drinks and cola and/or alcopops and cider for the over eights ), then they let them watch television as much as they like, including in their bedrooms; for variety they are allowed to spend hours on the internet on unsuitable websites or playing 18+ games.
and then they are surprised that their little darlings cannot concentrate in class......
(edited 10 years ago)
So, basically ADHD does exist but is not significant (if thats the right word) to be classed as a disorder? is that what you're trying to say?
Thanks for ur input :smile:

I think it does but I think for some people, you can learn how to live with it. I don't think medication is necessarily the answer
Original post by the bear
many parents feed their children inappropriately ( instead of nourishing family meals they eat crisps & sweets & burgers etc, washed down with a toxic mix of energy drinks and cola ), then they let them watch television as much as they like, including in their bedrooms; for variety they are allowed to spend hours on the internet on unsuitable websites or playing 18+ games.
and then they are surprised that their little darlings cannot concentrate in class......

Yeah, this. The correlation between increases in E-numbers, preservatives and general nasties in food, hours in front of the tv/games and behavioural problems can't be a coincidence, given we already know certain additives make children go mental already?
Reply 16
Original post by Kiss

This!
Reply 17
I would agree with what seems to be the general consensus and say that while it does exist, it's not as widespread as many would say it is. I also think that medication is rarely actually necessary and you can learn to live with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hmmmm, not sure. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was little, but I have my suspicions that maybe I was just horribly misbehaved. xD
It did make life easier for my mum I think, I used to get into trouble a LOT back in primary school - but I don't think the doctors said anything about a chemical imbalance - they had only diagnosed me due to observing my behaviour (apparantly, I don't remember any of this xD).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wr0nsk1
I would agree with what seems to be the general consensus and say that while it does exist, it's not as widespread as many would say it is. I also think that medication is rarely actually necessary and you can learn to live with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree. I live with it, although it is a pain at times. Wouldn't take medication.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending