The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's okay :tongue: I think my exposé will be decent. And then I can learn the rest, my grammar is pretty good but they speak quite fast (well just one person)

Moi aussi, je ne me peux pas même le souvenir :redface:

Well I'm glad you are at least slightly being challenged now :colone:

I'm considering blindly entering myself for the AS German exams, hmmm :moon:

Do you know if you have to prepare some sort of stimulus-related-presentation for the AS oral? On AQA that is?

Ich muss arbeiten!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo

Do you know if you have to prepare some sort of stimulus-related-presentation for the AS oral? On AQA that is?

Ich muss arbeiten!!

Right for French at least and I expect it is exactly the same you must speak for 15 mins overall and have 20 mins prep with no resources.

Part 1- Stimulus card

You have a stimulus card with a picture and a sentence with questions to discuss with examiner. Choose one of two cards but can't be on the same things as your nominated topic. Have to address all questions and avoid being too brief. About 2 and a half mins long.

You're then asked more questions on the sub topic by the examiner.

Total 5 mins altogether.

Part 2 - Nominated Topic

Can be any whole topic or subtopic. You can create a prompt card in the 20 mins including 5 headings which the examiner will relate to as well. (No conjugated verbs) About 3 mins. I assume you could find a way to prep this.

Part 3 - Other Topics

The examiner then asks questions on the final tqo topics not covered. 3 mins per topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Right for French at least and I expect it is exactly the same you must speak for 15 mins overall and have 20 mins prep with no resources.

Part 1- Stimulus card

You have a stimulus card with a picture and a sentence with questions to discuss with examiner. Choose one of two cards but can't be on the same things as your nominated topic. Have to address all questions and avoid being too brief. About 2 and a half mins long.

Total 5 mins altogether.

Part 2 - Nominated Topic

Can be any whole topic or subtopic. You can create a prompt card in the 20 mins including 5 headings which the examiner will relate to as well. (No conjugated verbs) About 3 mins. I assume you could find a way to prep this.

Part 3 - Other Topics

The examiner then asks questions on the final tqo topics not covered. 3 mins per topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this AQA specific?

You're a good girl, Obiejess :wink: merci beaucoup!
Si j'avais su que X était possible, je l'aurais essayé

Thank you!! :biggrin: I will send you the essay once I have finished it so that you could look over it? :smile:
Is this AQA specific?

You're a good girl, Obiejess :wink: merci beaucoup!

Yes. Aqa.

Why thankyou :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by super_kawaii
Bonjour! C'est moi encore une fois! J'adore cette thread, bien que j'aie déjà oublié beaucoup des langues que je peux parler, outre le chinois, mais j'habite en chine, alors, ce n'est pas une surprise!

Beaucoup is always succeeded by de! :biggrin:

Ich muss arbeiten!!

:mmm: well wjec it's always a 7 ish minutes about you. Your subjects, future plans and hobbies etc.

The second half 8 ish minutes is on stimulus they gave on topics you study (fashion, youth culture, health, education, relationships etc)

Original post by Decerto
Thank you!! :biggrin: I will send you the essay once I have finished it so that you could look over it? :smile:

If I can understand it :P some gcse pieces I've read are so complex it's obvious they have just tried to fit in phrases.

Told you I'm already forgetting it! I guess it's just 'cause I don't use it any more. If it wasn't for TSR, I'd really be struggling to write in English, 'cause I write in Chinese all the time now

That's not actually true! They teach you that at school because they like to give you rules, but in fact there are some occasions when you can say "beaucoup des" and this is one of them. It slightly changes the meaning.

Aujourd'hui j'ai vendu beaucoup de livres (Today I sold lots of books)
Aujourd'hui j'ai vendu beaucoup des livres que j'avais dans ma chambre (Today I sold lots OF THE books which I had in my room)

If you qualify the thing you are talking about, if the object is specific (and plural of course) then you use "des)
Told you I'm already forgetting it! I guess it's just 'cause I don't use it any more. If it wasn't for TSR, I'd really be struggling to write in English, 'cause I write in Chinese all the time now

It appears I'm wrong!

That's amazing, a friend and I are wanting to learn Mandarin... Any tips?

Original post by Tasha-x
That's not actually true! They teach you that at school because they like to give you rules, but in fact there are some occasions when you can say "beaucoup des" and this is one of them. It slightly changes the meaning.

Aujourd'hui j'ai vendu beaucoup de livres (Today I sold lots of books)
Aujourd'hui j'ai vendu beaucoup des livres que j'avais dans ma chambre (Today I sold lots OF THE books which I had in my room)

If you qualify the thing you are talking about, if the object is specific (and plural of course) then you use "des)

See I thought you could have des in examples like you said but I was told to use de :frown: but now I'll use it when it's right to.

So merci

See I thought you could have des in examples like you said but I was told to use de :frown: but now I'll use it when it's right to.

So merci

:smile: Only use it if there is a subclause following the noun, otherwise it's just a simple "de"
It appears I'm wrong!

That's amazing, a friend and I are wanting to learn Mandarin... Any tips?

So merci

When it comes to speaking and listening, it's the same as any other language. Just expose yourself as much as possible. Grammar can be quite counterintuitive to a native English speaker because it's just so different. However, if you do lots of practice, it'll just become second nature.

Reading and writing are
Original post by Tasha-x
:smile: Only use it if there is a subclause following the noun, otherwise it's just a simple "de"

Does this make sense:
Des nombreux étudiants que j'ai enseigné a trouvé un travail.

?

But that sounds wrong.

When it comes to speaking and listening, it's the same as any other language. Just expose yourself as much as possible. Grammar can be quite counterintuitive to a native English speaker because it's just so different. However, if you do lots of practice, it'll just become second nature.

Reading and writing are

Hmmmm, I like grammar so if I can't hack it I'll get annoyed :ahee:

Ich muss arbeiten!!

Original post by Obiejess

Part 1- Stimulus card

Total 5 mins altogether.

Part 2 - Nominated Topic

Part 3 - Other Topics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did AS German with AQA last year, and this is exactly what we did except the prompt card for the nominated topic was made and given to the examiner a week or two before the exam which meant we could spend the whole 20 minutes preparing the stimulus card.
Does this make sense:
Des nombreux étudiants que j'ai enseigné a trouvé un travail.

?

But that sounds wrong.

It sounds really awkward...

Firstly it should be "De nombreux étudiants" (if the adjective comes before the noun we use "de" instead of "des"

What exactly are you trying to say?

I get annoyed too if I don't understand grammar! You just need to practise though. Luckily my boyfriend's Chinese, so I get to practise lots with him and he always corrects me when I'm wrong (which I admit is a lot, although I am getting better!) :biggrin:

I still really want to learn Spanish. Luckily I've met a couple of Colombians out here, so I'm tempted to ask them to teach me :smile: I just can't get enough when it comes to foreign languages! 学外语是我最喜欢的!
Original post by Tasha-x
It sounds really awkward...

Firstly it should be "De nombreux étudiants" (if the adjective comes before the noun we use "de" instead of "des"

What exactly are you trying to say?

Ah, so how about:
J'ai acheté beaucoup des DVDs que je voulais regarder lorsque j'étais petit?

Or is that awkward again?

I get annoyed too if I don't understand grammar! You just need to practise though. Luckily my boyfriend's Chinese, so I get to practise lots with him and he always corrects me when I'm wrong (which I admit is a lot, although I am getting better!) :biggrin:

I still really want to learn Spanish. Luckily I've met a couple of Colombians out here, so I'm tempted to ask them to teach me :smile: I just can't get enough when it comes to foreign languages! 学外语是我最喜欢的!

That's great :O I don't have anything to practise with though. Or anyone... :frown: don't know where to start!

I like Spanish :tongue: it's easier than French :biggrin:
Ah, so how about:
J'ai acheté beaucoup des DVDs que je voulais regarder lorsque j'étais petit?

Or is that awkward again?

I can't see anything actually wrong with it.... The lorsque is bugging me, it's fine written, but you will rarely hear it in spoken French.
I like Spanish :tongue: it's easier than French :biggrin:

Eugh, don't get me started on French! I never liked it at school. I'm really surprised I came out with an A at the end of A2 as I never worked hard-I was always a coaster at school. I never got French grammar-it's far too hard! Spanish does seem a lot easier, especially with pronunciation. I also think it sounds much more attractive than French :biggrin:
Original post by Tasha-x
I can't see anything actually wrong with it.... The lorsque is bugging me, it's fine written, but you will rarely hear it in spoken French.

Quand :mmm: sorry, I've been drilled with A Level French variations

Eugh, don't get me started on French! I never liked it at school. I'm really surprised I came out with an A at the end of A2 as I never worked hard-I was always a coaster at school. I never got French grammar-it's far too hard! Spanish does seem a lot easier, especially with pronunciation. I also think it sounds much more attractive than French :biggrin:

I like it, only started in January this year properly (Jan 2012) so I think I'm doing okay. Fast tracking AS and A2 French hopefully.

Spanish is more simple and you can as you say pronounce things easier according to my French oral assistant. I think my accent is terrible :redface:

How old are you? (If you don't mind me asking)
Quand :mmm: sorry, I've been drilled with A Level French variations

I like it, only started in January this year properly (Jan 2012) so I think I'm doing okay. Fast tracking AS and A2 French hopefully.

Spanish is more simple and you can as you say pronounce things easier according to my French oral assistant. I think my accent is terrible :redface:

How old are you? (If you don't mind me asking)

I did start teaching myself Spanish when I was in year 7, as my school didn't offer it-they only offered French and German. It is a language I really want to learn though, so I'm definitely going to take advantage of having Spanish speaking friends.

I'm 20. Currently in my 2nd year at uni, which is also my year abroad :biggrin: You?

Latest