The Student Room Group

Summer Camp in America 2014?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loulou0
Hey guys, does anyone know whether there is a deadline for applying to camp america, as i am still trying to decide whether i want to go. A bit nervous of being away from home for so long!!

It's usually around Easter time. I remember I had my interview late April when I applied. Applying earlier does give you a better chance of being placed though.
Reply 161
Hi guys,

I had a few questions on applying for a summer camp in america this year and would really appreciate anyones help.

1) Firstly, I don't really have any experience working with children so will this put me at a massive disadvantage?

2) I also wanted to know what you guys think is the best agency to go through - Camp America, Americamp or CCUSA. I reckon im going to be a bit short on money so I was thinking Americamp, also because they give flight flexibility.

3) How much do people think flights are if you book them yourself?

Thanks for your help guys, I really wanna go!!
Reply 162
Original post by Kieran5
Hi guys,

I had a few questions on applying for a summer camp in america this year and would really appreciate anyones help.

1) Firstly, I don't really have any experience working with children so will this put me at a massive disadvantage?

2) I also wanted to know what you guys think is the best agency to go through - Camp America, Americamp or CCUSA. I reckon im going to be a bit short on money so I was thinking Americamp, also because they give flight flexibility.

1) Well when I went to my interview I never got asked about how much child experience I had, just if I had any but my friend got asked if he has 200 hours of child experience which he didnt so he wasnt allowed on the programme! Even things such as baby sitting, helping a club, looking after friends children etc really helps your application.

2) I'm doing Camp America as there are no hidden costs and everything is included and it is the biggest organisation so they know what they're doing. However I havnt heard any bad reports about Americamp but I have about CCUSA.

3)On the Camp America programme you can only book flights yourself as a returner (I think). I seriously wouldnt recommend it though as if the flight is cancelled, you will have to pay again but CA has cover against that. However I do believe you will pay for for flights than the actual 10 week programme as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kieran5
Hi guys,

Even just babysitting counts so anything like that, so maybe if you don't have anything, just babysit loads :P

I'm going through camp america, its all upfront, they are so nice and quick with getting back with stuff and they are so understanding if you don't get something or need to ask a question. Haven't heard anything HORRIBLY bad with the others, but the odd bad thing here and there.

Flights from LDN - NYC are usually around the £650-800 mark, but with CA they are included and if its cancelled they have cover and can put you on the next flight, only down side is you've got to go from new york on the way back, but if you travel westcoast to eastcoast then it works out okay I guess, I've heard other companies have little deals with airlines, but I don't know how much discount you get towards the airlines.
Reply 164
What kind of bad things you heard about CCUSA?

Also, has anyone seen that CCUSA and Americamp have the exact same application form? It seems a bit long to do a video and get all them references. Is it the same with Camp America ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 165
Original post by Kieran5

Also, has anyone seen that CCUSA and Americamp have the exact same application form? It seems a bit long to do a video and get all them references. Is it the same with Camp America ?

That they're never there for you, dont pick up the phone etc and CCUSA has the smallest amount of camps who work with them so its hard to get placed as there are minimal chances. My cousin went with CCUSA for her first time and all her pay was wrong as CCUSA promised her a certain amount and thats not what she was given by the camp but the right pay was with every other organisation so therefore she wasnt able to go travelling. She all in all preferred Camp America and has been with them for 3 summers now. It is also so much cheaper as a returner.

The Camp America application isn't too long I believe. You only need 2 references and you dont need a video.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kieran5

I went with CCUSA as a first timer and never had any problems, they were really helpful.

Americamp was never heard of back when I went in 2009 and 2010, so they seem quite new. I'd stick with CCUSA, Camp America or Camp Leaders...?
My camp has just published their schedule and this makes it even more exciting :smile: yay:smile:

General camp tips
1. Go to a recruitment fair if possible - use the online lists of what camps are attending and research ones you are interesting in?
2. Apply early!
3. All the camp recruitment companies do more or less the same job but I would recommend camp america anyways.
Original post by Kieran5

I'm currently applying through Americamp. I'm not entirely sure of their relationship with CCUSA, and whether they're two completely different companies or not, but I know that CCUSA is Americamp's visa sponsor.

I'll be honest, I picked Americamp because they say they have the highest wages out of all the other camp agencies, their presence on Twitter and Facebook seems very strong, and I've hardly heard anything bad about them so I thought why not. Their application process is pretty long and tedious though, but then again I haven't done the application for any other agencies so I dunno how it compares to them. It did take me a while to get all my references, and the video took a bit long, but it was pretty fun to make so not too bad. This is something I'd really like to do, so I'm willing to jump through all the hoops to get there. It's also my very first time applying to work at a US summer camp, so I can't comment on how the whole Americamp process is like until I've been through it till the very end of camp (if I hopefully get placed :biggrin:).
Reply 169
Nice one people!..the advice is very much appreciated..think im going to do Americamp as well...because of the wage and because they said if I get everything done this weekend they should be able to interview me next week and this will give me more chance of getting into the VIP entry for the fair...they seemed really cool on the phone as well..
Damn I really want to go after my service is done :sad:
Original post by Kieran5
Hi guys,

1) Since you're applying for a summer camp program they generally like if you have experience - it's one of the areas Camp America interviewers (and I'm guessing most other agencies) focus on during the interview. But as quite a few other people have said quite a lot counts as childcare e.g. babysitting, so chances are that you've actually had more experience than you first thought! But even if you don't have that much experience that's not the be all and end all of being placed. A lot of it will depend on the position you end up working in.

If you're really really worried about the childcare experience thing then you could always apply for the Campower program. It basically involves doing a lot of the behind the scenes work around camp e.g. maintenance, dishes. It means you have a lot less contact with the campers but still get to take part in loads of the other activities! It's a pretty sweet deal!!

2) Personally, I've been with Camp America the past two years and am planning to go through them again this year. They're really upfront with the costs and as they're the oldest agency they really know what they're doing and have a lot of experience with the camps in the States. Everyone thinks it's a massive company but there's actually only 16 staff in the London office along with some seasonal staff, so it's pretty personal and they get to know you pretty well!!

3) For your first year, I wouldn't really recommend booking your own flights. You may not get placed until the summer is pretty close, so you could be left with a massive ticket price to pay on top of the money you will have already paid. And the later you book your flights the costlier it will be. And, as someone else said, if you have any difficulties when it comes to the actual flight then you're on your own with no backup. When flying out for my first summer I wasn't checked in for the second leg of my flight (I was flying from Northern Ireland) but all I had to do was ring up the office and they had it sorted in minutes. Definitely wouldn't have been that easy if I'd had just booked the flights myself.

Hope that's of some help to you buddy and I hope you have an epic summer, whoever you decide to go with!!
Reply 172
Original post by rossmcg115
1) Since you're applying for a summer camp program they generally like if you have experience - it's one of the areas Camp America interviewers (and I'm guessing most other agencies) focus on during the interview. But as quite a few other people have said quite a lot counts as childcare e.g. babysitting, so chances are that you've actually had more experience than you first thought! But even if you don't have that much experience that's not the be all and end all of being placed. A lot of it will depend on the position you end up working in.

If you're really really worried about the childcare experience thing then you could always apply for the Campower program. It basically involves doing a lot of the behind the scenes work around camp e.g. maintenance, dishes. It means you have a lot less contact with the campers but still get to take part in loads of the other activities! It's a pretty sweet deal!!

2) Personally, I've been with Camp America the past two years and am planning to go through them again this year. They're really upfront with the costs and as they're the oldest agency they really know what they're doing and have a lot of experience with the camps in the States. Everyone thinks it's a massive company but there's actually only 16 staff in the London office along with some seasonal staff, so it's pretty personal and they get to know you pretty well!!

3) For your first year, I wouldn't really recommend booking your own flights. You may not get placed until the summer is pretty close, so you could be left with a massive ticket price to pay on top of the money you will have already paid. And the later you book your flights the costlier it will be. And, as someone else said, if you have any difficulties when it comes to the actual flight then you're on your own with no backup. When flying out for my first summer I wasn't checked in for the second leg of my flight (I was flying from Northern Ireland) but all I had to do was ring up the office and they had it sorted in minutes. Definitely wouldn't have been that easy if I'd had just booked the flights myself.

Hope that's of some help to you buddy and I hope you have an epic summer, whoever you decide to go with!!

Nice one brudda! you too
Original post by Malevolent
Damn I really want to go after my service is done :sad:

Do it! Do it! Do it! You'll never regret it:smile:
Original post by WildeAboutOscar
Do it! Do it! Do it! You'll never regret it:smile:

I think I'll definitely apply for it after my service seems like a once in a lifetime sort of experience !
Reply 175
Hey guys,

Sorry I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I have an interview with Americamp this Thursday. Good anyone offer any advice? Has anyone had an interview with Americamp yet?

Thanks!
Reply 176
Also does anyone know if your video HAS to go on youtube?
Reply 177
Original post by Kieran5
Also does anyone know if your video HAS to go on youtube?

No it does not:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kieran5
Hey guys,

Sorry I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I have an interview with Americamp this Thursday. Good anyone offer any advice? Has anyone had an interview with Americamp yet?

Thanks!

Can't say I've had an interview with Americamp but I'm assuming that their interviews are pretty similar to CA!! Chances are that the main things you'll be asked about are your childcare experience and your skills. You'll probably be asked to give specific examples of when you demonstrated your skills or may even be given a wee scenario and asked how you might deal with that :smile: My main advice would just to be chilled about it - easier said than done :P My interview felt more like a chat and my interviewer was really friendly - I'm assuming yours will be the same!! Good luck buddy and hope that helps!! :biggrin:
Reply 179
I have applied through Camp Leaders & they have been brilliant..

I done my application mid November, had my phone interview the day after completing it, and then had my face to face interview just over a week later (& was given £50 discount for having my interview before January). I was then at the 'placeable' stage about 2 weeks later after sending my references etc, which gained me another £50 discount for having my application at placeable within 15 days.

Just 10 days after being 'Placeable' I was PLACED at a camp in New York!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest