The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jkizer
I am doing the presentation soon, but bit worried about a couple of slides!
I have 2 slides with bullet pointed chapters of my project (split by modern/historical). However im not sure what i will exactly say for these slides o.O (Seeming as i only have 10 minutes give or take!)

Good luck. Well, what I'm planning to do is write notes on cue cards. One cue card dor each slide. The card will be small so your shaking hand won't be so obvious, and you won't be able to fit much writing on there so it'll stop you from babbling on and wasting time. Maybe you could shorten the bullet points to just phrases (you're not supposed to have too much writing on the powerpoint anyway) and elaborate on them using the information from the cards? Just some ideas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4541
Original post by SoggyTractor
Good luck. Well, what I'm planning to do is write notes on cue cards. One cue card dor each slide. The card will be small so your shaking hand won't be so obvious, and you won't be able to fit much writing on there so it'll stop you from babbling on and wasting time. Maybe you could shorten the bullet points to just phrases (you're not supposed to have too much writing on the powerpoint anyway) and elaborate on them using the information from the cards? Just some ideas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cue cards, kewl idea :smile:

I made my 2 main slides down to just bullet points of 'What happened to xxx' and 'Implications of yyy'.
I'm thinking though since i have like 6 bullet points of causal factors to xxx, im not entirely sure how to go about when i get to the slide o.O. Obviously i cant talk about each point xD
Reply 4542
I need to start writing my essay, but I'm not sure how to structure the introduction. I'm used to identifying the debate and then giving my judgment, which I'll then elaborate on in the conclusion. Is that what I should do here? I'm questioning whether Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman in the JFK assassination. Thanks!
I am doing EPQ and personally, I think it's a waste of time.
My school made it compulsory for us to do this and we can't get out of it, unless we have a good enough reason.
It's just adding more stress, I could complain about it for hours.

To be fair, my topic is quite interesting and I got my idea from the TSR
(Should circumcision be banned in the UK? is my title and topic)
My eadline is 4:30 on Monday! Just a question: What exactly are you meant to write in the summary and the reflection? (I'm doing AQA)
Original post by justmyself
My school made it compulsory for us to do this and we can't get out of it, unless we have a good enough reason.

That's really not fair. Wat time period do you have to do it over? It was a choice in my college, and about 100 started but now its about 60.
Ahh My friend did on similar: I think hi was on if there was any health benefits from circumcision.
Reply 4546
Original post by justmyself

Same, compulsory at my college too. It's sort of understandable to make it 'highly reccommended' or something, but lots of us are doing 5 ASs and/or already have extra ASs from year 11 so it seems faintly ridiculous to make it compulsory under those circumstances. :frown:
Original post by Cluck
Same, compulsory at my college too. It's sort of understandable to make it 'highly reccommended' or something, but lots of us are doing 5 ASs and/or already have extra ASs from year 11 so it seems faintly ridiculous to make it compulsory under those circumstances. :frown:

Jesus Christ. I didn't know that Nazi-run schools still exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4548
Jesus Christ. I didn't know that Nazi-run schools still exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what being hyper-competitive does to an institution :s-smilie:
My project is about how technolgy is searching for exoplanet's. Im currently writing it up, but kinda worried about it. Do you compare things, argue about them or just generally talk about how the tech works, and different types of exoplanets?

Im trying to do both, but what gets the higher marks in these sort of titles? Anyone have a good link to a model essay thats similar? Thanks!
Hey everyone,
I know it is really late to be asking this - but I am so confused!!

Okay, so I decided I wanted to do the EPQ in summer, but I have struggle so much to decide on a title since then. I have done so much research, it's unbelievable. I fear that I am thinking too much, but our coordinator has shown examples of good EPQs, and not so good EPQs, and has given us endless advice on how to choose the right title, but every idea I have seems to be an example of a bad title. I just want to scream, because I can't believe I can't choose a title that i'm happy with.

The topic that I want to focus on is Fashion and Chemistry - this hasn't changed since I decided that I want to do an EPQ, however, it is SO hard to find a part of Fashion and Chemistry that I can write an essay on. I also wanted to create an Artefact, however, I fear that there isn't much I can actually do in terms of assessing, evaluating, and analysing when it comes to the cross-link between Fashion (textiles, and the industry) and Chemistry (including Biochemistry, and Material sciences).

I feel like I am going around in circles, and I feel like the world is telling me to not do an EPQ, but I really reallly realllllllly want to. I know that I will be very disappointed if I do not do one.

I've asked people on numerous relevant threads for ideas, but they all seem to tell me the same/similar things, which I can't do much about. Arhgdhnccksdnovdmavcopqnwovndmcaslxmansiocnoivnqievneocnmeqocmaosc

God, please help me here!

What should I do? - My first meeting with my supervisor is soon, and I won't have anything to give to them.
Hi some help please!

I am going to write my EPQ in an essay. All they say in terms of the word count is 5,000 words. Is there a max/ min limit or is that what they recommend for all candidates?
Reply 4552
Presentation tomorrow.... Dear god

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Will95206
Hi some help please!

I am going to write my EPQ in an essay. All they say in terms of the word count is 5,000 words. Is there a max/ min limit or is that what they recommend for all candidates?

I think it's officially 4,500-5,000 words. But I'll get confirmation of that when I see my supervisor on thursday. Mine's at 5,200, including the bibliography, had to do an awful lot of work trimming it down!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Presentation tomorrow.... Dear god

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck. Mine's in 3 months :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's officially 4,500-5,000 words. But I'll get confirmation of that when I see my supervisor on thursday. Mine's at 5,200, including the bibliography, had to do an awful lot of work trimming it down!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers! Good luck!
Reply 4556

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm hoping to finish and bury the EPQ before we break up for Crimbo. Its making me sick :frown:
Hi guys, quick question... If my EPQ was submitted/sent off in November, when am I likely to hear back about my result?

Thanks
Original post by Jaydude
My project is about how technolgy is searching for exoplanet's. Im currently writing it up, but kinda worried about it. Do you compare things, argue about them or just generally talk about how the tech works, and different types of exoplanets?

Im trying to do both, but what gets the higher marks in these sort of titles? Anyone have a good link to a model essay thats similar? Thanks!

Also in my research do i need Primary and Secondary data? (For the higher marks)

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 4559
I'm doing my EPQ on Vietnam initially my question was along the lines of how did decisions made in the Cold War influence political decisions of Vietnam? But my supervisor said it wasn't very clear. But anyway, I am currently working on a new question to do with to what extent the cold war influenced the decisions made regarding Vietnam.
The only thing is I'm really struggling with the log book- I literally have no idea what to write because it has to last so long and I never plan anything!

Also, any ideas how to reference a podcast in your bibliography?
thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending