The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2015 - Let the Games Begin

Scroll to see replies

(edited 9 years ago)
Hey there :smile:
Does anybody know the average pass grade for law firm Watson Glaser tests? I have to do one by Friday as part of the application process for the Linklaters Christmas Workshop and am averaging about 70% atm on practice tests. Thanks. xxx
Reply 3482
Original post by LucyCharlotte91
Hey there :smile:
Does anybody know the average pass grade for law firm Watson Glaser tests? I have to do one by Friday as part of the application process for the Linklaters Christmas Workshop and am averaging about 70% atm on practice tests. Thanks. xxx

when did you hear from Linklaters? i've applied for their winter workshop but am still yet to hear a thing from them!
Original post by danipani
when did you hear from Linklaters? i've applied for their winter workshop but am still yet to hear a thing from them!

I got a Test Invitation on Monday afternoon. I have no idea how well you have to do it in though. Just practicing as many as possible before I do the real one. Hopefully you'll hear soon. Good luck! :smile: xxx
Reply 3484
Wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'm in the midst of writing an application for a Magic Circle firm TC. Last year I reached their interview stage for vac scheme and am curious as to whether it is generally regarded as a no-go submitting my TC application almost identical to my vac scheme application but with a few extra details added? I.e. would they penalise me for submitting something basically copied and pasted from last year's application?
If anyone wants advice on Weil, feel free to drop me a message. I've been through the assessment process, and have a TC there to begin in 2015.
Reply 3486
Is there a specific Training Contract 2016 thread? Have searched high and wide without any luck
Original post by danipani
Is there a specific Training Contract 2016 thread? Have searched high and wide without any luck

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2484833
I was wondering if anyone could please advise me on what sort of preparation to do for the short Winter Workshops? I have a couple coming up over the next few weeks. Am I right in thinking that firms don't interview for TCs except on the longer summer schemes? xxx
I was wondering if anyone could please advise me on what sort of preparation to do for the short Winter Workshops? I have a couple coming up over the next few weeks. Am I right in thinking that firms don't interview for TCs except on the longer summer schemes? xxx

You dont really have to prepare for it, I think. You should just have a good strategy how you approach this when you are actually there. Usually those workshops are with way more people than during vac schemes, so it is unlikely that you individually will make an impression that you will be remembered. What is important is:

1. Talk to different people at the firm at different levels, i.e. partners, associates, trainees? Are they nice? What do they say about the firm etc etc

2. Focus on the presentations, they will give an invaluable insight into what the firm is proud of and why they think they are different from other firms, what are their main practice areas etc. This will be very useful if you later apply for a training contract and get invited to interview.

3. Participate in the exercises, be nice to the other participants, ask smart questions etc.

Most firms dont interview during the Workshop but having been may be an advantage when applying for a vac scheme or training contract.
Original post by the punter
You dont really have to prepare for it, I think. You should just have a good strategy how you approach this when you are actually there. Usually those workshops are with way more people than during vac schemes, so it is unlikely that you individually will make an impression that you will be remembered. What is important is:

1. Talk to different people at the firm at different levels, i.e. partners, associates, trainees? Are they nice? What do they say about the firm etc etc

2. Focus on the presentations, they will give an invaluable insight into what the firm is proud of and why they think they are different from other firms, what are their main practice areas etc. This will be very useful if you later apply for a training contract and get invited to interview.

3. Participate in the exercises, be nice to the other participants, ask smart questions etc.

Most firms dont interview during the Workshop but having been may be an advantage when applying for a vac scheme or training contract.

Thanks very much for this. :smile: That's really helpful. I'm pretty nervous but I'm sure they'll go ok.
Thanks very much for this. :smile: That's really helpful. I'm pretty nervous but I'm sure they'll go ok.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3492
has anyone applied for a Linklaters TC? how soon do they usually send you the online test after submitting?
I have an AC with Walker Morris, any tips on what to expect?
Original post by lawyer27/04
TC offer from Norton Rose Fulbright! So happy!

Hiya,

Could you give me any details about the NRF interview process? I've got my interview with them next week and would appreciate a heads up on the structure/format of the day/tasks.

Well done btw!
A belated question for anyone with experience of this - Is there any point applying for a TC if you haven't done any vacation schemes? I've been rejected from all of the firms that I applied to for VS at various stages. I've got a small amount of ad-hoc legal work experience and quite a lot of non-legal work experience, with a high 2:1/first in languages from Bristol. I'm starting to think this is just a no-go for me, I'm never going to get accepted anywhere. Really fed up all my hard work has come to nothing! What is the magic that you lucky ones have??
Original post by LawOfEntropy

Hi I don't know if you are still picking up your posts but I was wondering if you some advice about how to get some good interview practice? I get an interview for everything I apply for but that's it. I never get further than that and know I'm doing something wrong but am not sure what it is. When I ask for feed back afterwards it's always different...maybe it's something people can't put their finger on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Is anyone else waiting to hear from Leigh Day?
Their site now says that applicants will be contacted about the outcome of their applications by today.
Best of luck to all who are waiting!
Original post by salsa93
Hey guys, has anyone from here heard back from or applied to Watson, Farley & Williams? Also, still no news from Ince & Co? Pretty sure its a silent PFO cause I've not had an invite for any kind of test either :/

Hey, I know this is from last year but did you have any joy with WFW in the end?
Just wondering if anyone is looking to move to London to start there TC in September? I have one house mate but looking for a couple more to have a fun, social house. We are looking to live in the Clapham area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending